+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Re: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    William Wilson starred in about five different eras, when I was religiously following his exploits in the 60s he was about 120 years old then. Tupper got to meetings on his motorbike and sidebath after a day’s welding, Wilson ran a couple of hundred miles to get to a venue without eating, the man was and still is a marvel, Alf is no doubt long retired.
    But Alf Tupper ran half his races with a shoe spike sticking into his foot - and half of those he had to finish bare foot and bleeding!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    But Alf Tupper ran half his races with a shoe spike sticking into his foot - and half of those he had to finish bare foot and bleeding!
    Fish and chips then after.

Ali
    Federer
    Daley Thompson
    Maradona
    Michael Jordan

Honorable mention for Phil the Power Taylor.

George Best
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Mark Williams
    Peter Whittingham
    Tyson Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Botham was a fantastic cricketer , one of the greatest players of all time up there with sobers , Kapil dev , Hadlee , via Richards etc

But since he's retired he's become a right old little englander , very right wing

Horrible

Coe was world class
    Not including Botham for his politics, but including Coe!!!! Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ali.
    C B Fry
    Daley Thompson
    Martina Navratilova
    Tiger Woods

It's an impossible question really. I tried to be as dispassionate as possible rather than just go for favourites - I'd only call one of them a favourite of mine and there's one there I don't like much at all.
    I know it was a different age, but CB Fry probably has a good claim, if not the best, to be the greatest all round sportsman ever! and he was offered the kingdom of Albania!

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post

Ian Woosnam, 5' 4", world number one for ages.
    Only if you call 11 months "ages".

Ali
    Zico
    Daley Thomson
    Jimmy White
    Whitts

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Ali
    Zico
    Daley Thomson
    Jimmy White
    Whitts
    Surprisinig amount of love for Moeen Ali on this thread

Maradona

Gennady Golovkin

Lennox Lewis

Franco Baresi

Michel Platini

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    What sticks out like a sore thumb is the scarcity of women on the list. Possibly because to men they don't achieve hero status in a way that Ali, Bolt, Owens etc have. Certainly we admire the achievements of people like Navratilova, Jess Ennis, Serena Williams etc but not enough for us to include them on our all-time favourites list it seems.
    Without getting too political, it is easy to look at misogyny, and under representation ect, and that is a definite factor, but at the end of the day the reason all those people are listed is because they are the best performing individual in the world at that Sport, regardless of race, religion, gender, it is a simple fact of biology no matter how much advancement we make towards equality men will always dominate fields were physical performance is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Not including Botham for his politics, but including Coe!!!! Hmmm.
    Coe was and is a tory but I could have a chat with him

Botham is a right wing oaf

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Without getting too political, it is easy to look at misogyny, and under representation ect, and that is a definite factor, but at the end of the day the reason all those people are listed is because they are the best performing individual in the world at that Sport, regardless of race, religion, gender, it is a simple fact of biology no matter how much advancement we make towards equality men will always dominate fields were physical performance is a factor.
    thats very true however the top level female sportswomen have incredible physiques

The muscular power of the sprinters for example

Not bad for consecutive weeks as number one. Wood's record consists of four stints, Norman's consists of three stints...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...20April%201997.
    Woosnam world number one.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    But if you read my original post and my 2nd one, I emphasise that it is not the best in any given sport but rather your personal favourite, something that with hindsight I should have made clear in the heading of the my original post.

Having said all that, I still believe that our heroes, or personal favourites if you like are all men. I think that we naturally associate sporting prowess with men and tend to subconsciously categorise sportswomen to a lower level. And yes biological factors play a huge part in our choices. It's quite obvious why we choose Maradona over some US Ladies footballer or Roger Federer over Serena Williams or Jack Nicklaus over Laura Davies.

I can honestly say that I have never been interested in women’s sport so nothing subconscious I just never watch it.

The last 11 months seem to have been happening for about 400 years.

Tiger
    Tyson
    Bolt
    Phil Taylor
    Maradona

Ron Clarke
    Roger Bannister
    Steve Ovett
    Phil Dwyer
    Don Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Ron Clarke
    Roger Bannister
    Steve Ovett
    Phil Dwyer
    Don Murray
    Now that is an interesting choice ! Ron Clarke was such an elegant 10,000m runner, shame he was Australian lol. For me athletics more than any other sport felt special when I was growing up and it's good to see athletes well represented here. Pity that drug abuse has since ruined the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Now that is an interesting choice ! Ron Clarke was such an elegant 10,000m runner, shame he was Australian lol. For me athletics more than any other sport felt special when I was growing up and it's good to see athletes well represented here. Pity that drug abuse has since ruined the sport.
    I ran competitively for 40 years from middle distance up to marathon. Took part in about 800 races in total. Was nowhere near as good as I wanted to be, but was still a reasonable club athlete on the road, track and cross country.

Interesting comment, Whisperer. Kelly Holmes won 2 Olympic golds on the track following many years of injury set backs so I admire her for overcoming her problems. Paula Radcliffe in the marathon ran on a number of occasions quicker than most British international class men can achieve and is also attractive! Kathy Freeman with the weight of all Australia’s hopes on her shoulders on the final day of the Sydney 2000 track events is also to be admired - although she didn’t came across as being too bright when interviewed.

These 3 are exceptions for me though - am not too interested in women’s’ sport and apart from in athletics cannot think of any memorable sports women. Lots more great women athletes from the past though could be considered like Lillian Board, Mary Rand, Liz McColgan, Jess Ennis, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Surprisinig amount of love for Moeen Ali on this thread
    Underrated post

Interesting comment, Whisperer. Kelly Holmes won 2 Olympic golds on the track following many years of injury set backs so I admire her for overcoming her problems. Paula Radcliffe in the marathon ran on a number of occasions quicker than most British international class men can achieve and is also attractive! Kathy Freeman with the weight of all Australia’s hopes on her shoulders on the final day of the Sydney 2000 track events is also to be admired - although she didn’t came across as being too bright when interviewed.

These 3 are exceptions for me though - am not too interested in women’s’ sport and apart from in athletics cannot think of any memorable sports women. Lots more great women athletes from the past though could be considered like Lillian Board, Mary Rand, Liz McColgan, Jess Ennis, etc etc
    Our own Tanni Grey as well

When I was about 9 or 10 I went to the Welsh Games at Maindy on my own. It just wouldn't happen nowadays !

I was in awe of the top athletes and had the privilege to speak to Lillian Board (a terribly sad loss), Mary Rand, who I thought was beautiful and lots of others including Bruce Tulloh, Lynn Davies and Derek Ibbotson. Ibbo put his arms around my shoulders when talking to me and I was completely starstruck. I think Ralph Boston was also there to compete against Lynn Davies in the Long Jump, my favourite event in school. Other than Ralph Boston, I managed to get the other's autographs. Still got them somewhere.