Thread: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Re: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

George Best
    Muhammed Ali
    John McEnroe
    Daley Thompson
    Anna Kournikova

For cricket if it was best of all time then Don Bradman tops the best batsman and Shane Warne as a bowler. I could never have 2 convicts in my 5 though.

Ali.
    C B Fry
    Daley Thompson
    Martina Navratilova
    Tiger Woods

It's an impossible question really. I tried to be as dispassionate as possible rather than just go for favourites - I'd only call one of them a favourite of mine and there's one there I don't like much at all.

Muhammed Ali by a country mile. Boxing and his Vietnam stance.
    George Best, despite the flaws.
    Ian Woosnam, 5' 4", world number one for ages.
    Sebastian Coe, despite being a Tory, when he accelerated off the final bend...
    Jesse Owens, take that Adolf.

Willie Boland

Kelly Sotherton

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Muhammed Ali by a country mile. Boxing and his Vietnam stance.
    George Best, despite the flaws.
    Ian Woosnam, 5' 4", world number one for ages.
    Sebastian Coe, despite being a Tory, when he accelerated off the final bend...
    Jesse Owens, take that Adolf.
    ali was a great man , up there with the best

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ali.
    C B Fry
    Daley Thompson
    Martina Navratilova
    Tiger Woods

It's an impossible question really. I tried to be as dispassionate as possible rather than just go for favourites - I'd only call one of them a favourite of mine and there's one there I don't like much at all.
    Bob as I said earlier, it should be your personal favourites, not the best in any given sport. Even if they were second raters or perennial runners-up it doesn't matter. As long as you had an affinity with them is all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    ali was a great man , up there with the best
    That is quite amusing Sludge because when I gave an honourable mention to Seb Coe in my original post, I thought I know somebody who's going to kick my a**e for naming a Tory. Never in a million years did I think he would pop up in your list lol

Ali
    Jesse Owens
    CB Fry
    Messi
    Hughie Ferguson

Fictional... William Wilson by a mile

Bugger I forgot Roy of the Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    That is quite amusing Sludge because when I gave an honourable mention to Seb Coe in my original post, I thought I know somebody who's going to kick my a**e for naming a Tory. Never in a million years did I think he would pop up in your list lol
    My bad, Coe appeared on Elytillidie's list not Sludge's. Thought that would never happen !

I guess a lot of this depends on your age. Muhammed Ali and Pele will be on most older people's lists, but younger folks will choose Messi or Tyson, perhaps. Ali has to be the greatest boxer. Footballer? Well, take your choice from a long list. Gareth Edwards is considered by many (older) people to be the greatest ever rugby player, but young people will close Lomu, or someone similar. It's all subjective. But Chris Pike has got to be in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bugger I forgot Roy of the Rovers
    Nothing without Blackie Gray and Arnold Tabbs pulling the strings behind him!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Nothing without Blackie Gray and Arnold Tabbs pulling the strings behind him!
    Where's Limp Along Leslie ????

If we're talking fictional, what about Alf Tupper who won fifty gold medals on a diet of fish and chips? Robert Redford was pretty good in The Natural as well.

George Best
    Pele
    Les Kellert
    Nathan Blake
    Ali

Geoff Boycott on the bench.

Ronnie
    Diego
    Tyson
    Bolt
    Lomu

Kim Jong-un x5

Hasn't he gone round St Andrew's in 58, run 100m in 8.9secs, got an 8-darter for 501, won the British F1 driving backwards and was the only boxer to beat Calzaghe?

What sticks out like a sore thumb is the scarcity of women on the list. Possibly because to men they don't achieve hero status in a way that Ali, Bolt, Owens etc have. Certainly we admire the achievements of people like Navratilova, Jess Ennis, Serena Williams etc but not enough for us to include them on our all-time favourites list it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we're talking fictional, what about Alf Tupper who won fifty gold medals on a diet of fish and chips? Robert Redford was pretty good in The Natural as well.
    William Wilson starred in about five different eras, when I was religiously following his exploits in the 60s he was about 120 years old then. Tupper got to meetings on his motorbike and sidebath after a day’s welding, Wilson ran a couple of hundred miles to get to a venue without eating, the man was and still is a marvel, Alf is no doubt long retired.

What sticks out like a sore thumb is the scarcity of women on the list. Possibly because to men they don't achieve hero status in a way that Ali, Bolt, Owens etc have. Certainly we admire the achievements of people like Navratilova, Jess Ennis, Serena Williams etc but not enough for us to include them on our all-time favourites list it seems.
    Linda Lovelace deserves a mention although she blew many an opportunity.

My bad, Coe appeared on Elytillidie's list not Sludge's. Thought that would never happen !
    Botham was a fantastic cricketer , one of the greatest players of all time up there with sobers , Kapil dev , Hadlee , via Richards etc

But since he's retired he's become a right old little englander , very right wing

Horrible

Coe was world class

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Linda Lovelace deserves a mention although she blew many an opportunity.
    always went down too easily

Willie Boland

Kelly Sotherton
    ana Ivanovic

Botham was a fantastic cricketer , one of the greatest players of all time up there with sobers , Kapil dev , Hadlee , via Richards etc

But since he's retired he's become a right old little englander , very right wing

Horrible

Coe was world class
    Is that ex-Tory MP, Baron, Lord ,KBE, Life Peer Sebastian Newbold Coe?
    Didnt think he was your type?