Thread: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Mine are, in no particular order:

Ed Moses
    Muhammed Ali
    Usain Bolt
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Rivelino

Being a big athletics fan I was tempted to include Lynn Davies, Jonathan Edwards or even Seb Coe as my last pick but in the end I went for Rivelino, who I was enthralled by during the 1970 World Cup and just couldn't leave him out.

Unless their personality appealed to me, I dismissed certain sportsmen, no matter how dominant they are/were in their field. Both Tiger Woods and Lewis Hamilton come into this category.

It will be interesting to see who your personal favourites are.

Re: YOUR TOP 5 SPORTSMEN OR WOMEN OF ALL TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Mine are, in no particular order:

Ed Moses
    Muhammed Ali
    Usain Bolt
    Franz Beckenbauer
    Rivelino

Being a big athletics fan I was tempted to include Lynn Davies, Jonathan Edwards or even Seb Coe as my last pick but in the end I went for Rivelino, who I was enthralled by during the 1970 World Cup and just couldn't leave him out.

Unless their personality appealed to me, I dismissed certain sportsmen, no matter how dominant they are/were in their field. Both Tiger Woods and Lewis Hamilton come into this category.

It will be interesting to see who your personal favourites are.
    The heading should probably read Top 5 FAVOURITE Sportsmen/Women

Cassius Clay
    Usain Bolt
    Pele
    Jack Nicklaus
    Michael Phelps

Not the best, but my favourites. (Can't decide on the fifth)

Muhammed Ali
    Cathy Freeman
    Johah Lomu
    Malcolm Marshall
    Clive Sullivan or Socrates

These are my favourites but I'd put a case forward for each of them to be considered one of the greatest sportsmen of all time.

Football - C Ronaldo
    Rugby - Lomu
    Boxing - Calzaghe
    Athletics - Bolt
    Golf - Woods

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not the best, but my favourites. (Can't decide on the fifth)

Muhammed Ali
    Cathy Freeman
    Johah Lomu
    Malcolm Marshall
    Clive Sullivan or Socrates
    Personally I would have put Plato ahead of Socrates.....sorry !

I do feel guilty about not including any women but Cathy Freeman is a good choice, especially as she represented the Aboriginal people of her country with such dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    These are my favourites but I'd put a case forward for each of them to be considered one of the greatest sportsmen of all time.

Football - C Ronaldo
    Rugby - Lomu
    Boxing - Calzaghe
    Athletics - Bolt
    Golf - Woods
    This thread is all about personal favourites, which I regret not making clearer in my original heading, so your list is spot on.👍

This thread is all about personal favourites, which I regret not making clearer in my original heading, so your list is spot on.👍
    ✌️

I tried to think of sportspersons who absolutely demanded your attention, hair on the back of your neck stuff.

I was about to put Chris Hoy, his races in the Olympics were just so exciting.
    but then I thought that outside of a few Olympic cycling events I happened to be watching, I've made literally no effort to see any of his other races - so can I really have him as one of my top 5?

Ali
    Maradona
    Duran
    Daley Thompson
    Calzaghe

Victoria Pendleton comes very close barking mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I tried to think of sportspersons who absolutely demanded your attention, hair on the back of your neck stuff.

I was about to put Chris Hoy, his races in the Olympics were just so exciting.
    but then I thought that outside of a few Olympic cycling events I happened to be watching, I've made literally no effort to see any of his other races - so can I really have him as one of my top 5?
    Fine I think. The Olympics is all about becoming an expert in a sport for a few days. The things I could have told you about the omnium...

Steve Lynex
    Rocky
    Rowdy Roddy Piper
    Giant Haystacks
    Leighton Rees

Mark Cavendish
    Brett Favre
    Mohammed Ali
    Kev Sinfield
    Arnold Palmer

- Ronnie O'Sullivan
    - Federer
    - Christiano Ronaldo
    - Tyson Fury
    - Usain Bolt

Jessie Owens ( before my time but essential to mention )
    Michael Phelps
    Floyd Mayweather
    Steve Redgrave
    Chris Hoy.
    Ronaldo

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    - Ronnie O'Sullivan
    - Federer
    - Christiano Ronaldo
    - Tyson Fury
    - Usain Bolt
    I forgot all about Federer, probably because he's still playing but if I had a 6th pick it would be him.

C Ronaldo
    LeBron James
    Tyson Fury
    Whitts
    Patrick Kane

Bit of a tough one but these are those who I've probably most enjoyed watching over the years.

Roger Federer
    Usain Bolt
    Ian Botham
    Ronaldo
    Greg Lemond

Not far off the list are Viv Richards, Geraint Thomas, Michael Johnson, Lionel Messi, Shane Warne amongst others

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Bit of a tough one but these are those who I've probably most enjoyed watching over the years.

Roger Federer
    Usain Bolt
    Ian Botham
    Ronaldo
    Greg Lemond

Not far off the list are Viv Richards, Geraint Thomas, Michael Johnson, Lionel Messi, Shane Warne amongst others
    Lord Botham if you don't mind ! Viv and Lionel were on my shortlist too. The more you think about it the more difficult it gets so I just thought of those sportsmen that over the years meant something to me personally and more importantly they were people I took a liking to for whatever reason. Hence no Tiger or Hamilton, who I just couldn't take to.

Original Ronaldo
    Joe Calzaghe
    LeBron James - Not a massive basketball fan but the guy's a powerhouse of a talent, and gives a lot back too
    Aaron Ramsey
    Geraint Thomas - Not a massive cycling fan but I love seeing normal Welsh lads being world class

Lord Botham if you don't mind ! Viv and Lionel were on my shortlist too. The more you think about it the more difficult it gets so I just thought of those sportsmen that over the years meant something to me personally and more importantly they were people I took a liking to for whatever reason. Hence no Tiger or Hamilton, who I just couldn't take to.
    For me Jim Clarke and Jackie Stewart Well are ahead of Hamilton , the tracks and cars Clarke and Stewart had to apply and use were remarkable , modern cars are almost computers ,safer , and the modern technology is of a great assistance for today's driver compared to the old days , in my humble view

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    For me Jim Clarke and Jackie Stewart Well are ahead of Hamilton , the tracks and cars Clarke and Stewart had to apply and use were remarkable , modern cars are almost computers ,safer , and the modern technology is of a great assistance for today's driver compared to the old days , in my humble view
    not disagreeing with everything you say but those cars were also a lot slower and they had to think about far less than today's F1 drivers have to. I think the best "pure racers" of the modern crop - Hamilton, Alonso, Verstappen and others would do just fine in that era

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    F1 has never been a sport I got into. Rightly or wrongly it seemed that by and large whoever had the best car won. I know this is simplifying matters and there are exceptionally good drivers, but would they win if they drove an inferior car. No they wouldn't. I did like Nigel Mansell mind and his tussles with Schumacher.

Brian Lara
    Shane Warne
    Pele
    Muhammad Ali
    Tiger Woods