+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Fly Fishing

Fly Fishing

I love fishing of all kinds coarse, sea , trout and I did have a time when I had a dabble on local rivers and its exciting at times but I have never really got into it , basically I am no good at it .

I have a mate who fishes local rivers , fishes the reservoir near port Talbot and even goes over to Somerset for it .

Like spinning for trout , perch and pike but fly fishing is far too complicated for a dullard like me .

Re: Fly Fishing

You should buy my book

I just got back from a day on the reservoir, caught 2 rainbows about 2.5 lb, what was great I caught the first one on the point fly and the second one on the dropper. I bought a starter kit from Garry Evans tackle in Roath, learnt to cast from YouTube practiced over the park and caught on my first outing, for me it’s the best treatment for my mental health pure meditation.

Fly fishing is the purest form Sludge. I love it. My record trout is a 10lb 8oz sea trout down the Falklands. I have caught loads of Bass on fly rod too. And other salt water species around the globe. Very therapeutic as Whisperer states. But can get your heart rate going too. Don't do as much these days as i would like to
    Spedger

No one is going to fish around my flies

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You should buy my book
    Did they keep it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Fly fishing is the purest form Sludge. I love it. My record trout is a 10lb 8oz sea trout down the Falklands. I have caught loads of Bass on fly rod too. And other salt water species around the globe. Very therapeutic as Whisperer states. But can get your heart rate going too. Don't do as much these days as i would like to
    Spedger
    I used to just tie a black and peacock for the local stream , fished it as a dry fly then when it got wet would fish it just under the surface . Never caught anything big but it was good fun . Enjoyed tying flies as well but my cast was like an Indian rope trick , I could never get it right .

Sea fishing is out for me due to a dodgy ankle and I cant sit around watching a float or waiting for a big carp .

I have really got into spinning , I have bought a ten foot diawa prorex which is the perfect rod for the local rivers , together with a shimano fx reel

I lob out an spinner or small lure , with a light wire trace and I can catch perch trout pike and the odd chub

The way that predatory fish attack imitation fish is amazing the takes are so aggressive, you rarely have to strike

If the lockdown prevents fishing at least I can sort out my tackle all winter and watch fishing videos on you tube

You should buy my book
    I hear it has been pulped and recycled

You should buy my book
    Why don't you give him a free copy? You can't get it on Yellow Pages any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I used to just tie a black and peacock for the local stream , fished it as a dry fly then when it got wet would fish it just under the surface . Never caught anything big but it was good fun . Enjoyed tying flies as well but my cast was like an Indian rope trick , I could never get it right .

Sea fishing is out for me due to a dodgy ankle and I cant sit around watching a float or waiting for a big carp .

I have really got into spinning , I have bought a ten foot diawa prorex which is the perfect rod for the local rivers , together with a shimano fx reel

I lob out an spinner or small lure , with a light wire trace and I can catch perch trout pike and the odd chub

The way that predatory fish attack imitation fish is amazing the takes are so aggressive, you rarely have to strike

If the lockdown prevents fishing at least I can sort out my tackle all winter and watch fishing videos on you tube

This is my kind of fishing , taff and ely have plenty of pike , perch and trout , lots of pike in the taff feeder , huge pike in waters north of merthyr. Neath canal , Kenfig pool , Monmouth and brecon canal , Hendre lake in cardiff has pike also the Dock by the old wharf pub

https://youtu.be/ywUkaOOy9Qk

Whilst on an early morning run last month over the bridge by the Radyr Rail Station I saw a fantastic sight , down river was a fella in the Taff full with his waders n fishing, sun was out glistening on the early morning water, he was peacefully casting off , It looked so serene , it was good to be alive

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Whilst on an early morning run last month over the bridge by the Radyr Rail Station I saw a fantastic sight , down river was a fella in the Taff full with his waders n fishing, sun was out glistening on the early morning water, he was peacefully casting off , It looked so serene , it was good to be alive
    A lot of very good fly fisherman on the taff , lots of brown trout and grayling from Radyr downwards . But also lots of perch , roach dace chub barbel and pike

The cardiff Bay barrage has created a massive freshwater lake at the bottom of the taff and ely rivers and the coarse fish there have spread back into the ely

I dont fly fish anymore but I enjoy watching people do it , its a real art

Surely any lockdown wouldn't extend to fishing? It has to be one of the most solitary pastimes there is.
    I haven't fished for years, I wasn't very successful when I did to be honest, however, the therapeutic benefits cannot be overlooked.
    Sea fishing was my choice back then; as the lyrics to The Who song said... "The beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world that's real".

You should try putting a strap around your wrist and around the butt end of your rod near the reel on your casting hand, then cast 10 o'clock to two o'clock. The secret is to keep the butt of the rod in contact with your forearm. After a while you will get used to it and you can take the strap off - Job done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Why don't you give him a free copy? You can't get it on Yellow Pages any more.
    No chance, it took me years to find my copy.

I love fishing of all kinds coarse, sea , trout and I did have a time when I had a dabble on local rivers and its exciting at times but I have never really got into it , basically I am no good at it .

I have a mate who fishes local rivers , fishes the reservoir near port Talbot and even goes over to Somerset for it .

Like spinning for trout , perch and pike but fly fishing is far too complicated for a dullard like me .
    i once went out to the eddystone lighthouse wreck fishing nearly 3 hours to get there by boat 6 hours fishing and caught one wrasse

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Surely any lockdown wouldn't extend to fishing? It has to be one of the most solitary pastimes there is.
    I haven't fished for years, I wasn't very successful when I did to be honest, however, the therapeutic benefits cannot be overlooked.
    Sea fishing was my choice back then; as the lyrics to The Who song said... "The beach is a place where a man can feel, he's the only soul in the world that's real".
    The spring lockdown all fishing was suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    The spring lockdown all fishing was suspended.
    It wasn't until July I got out to fish again . At present the local clubs are saying you are OK to fish but as soon as we are told not to fish , that will be it for me . You have to do your bit .

I spend about 200 quid a year on fishing permits and have a lot of gear gathering dust but there are doctors and nurses on the front line , coppers , ambulance drivers , supermarket staff , delivery drivers , care workers etc out there at risk so if I am told not to fish thats it .

No chance, it took me years to find my copy.
    are you the woman with blonde hair in the advert looking for her grandfathers book ?

Fancy a drink after work next week ?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatealiens2 View Post
    You should try putting a strap around your wrist and around the butt end of your rod near the reel on your casting hand, then cast 10 o'clock to two o'clock. The secret is to keep the butt of the rod in contact with your forearm. After a while you will get used to it and you can take the strap off - Job done!!