+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: M4 Relief Road News ??

M4 Relief Road News ??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54469828

The UK government would never "rule anything out" on bypassing the Welsh Government to build an M4 relief road, the Welsh secretary has told BBC Wales.

Simon Hart said UK ministers would "much prefer" a "collaborative project" to tackle congestion around Newport and the Brynglas tunnels.

He added that while they "probably could" bypass Welsh ministers it would be "complicated" and "controversial".

The Welsh Government said the relief road was a matter for Wales.

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford scrapped a relief road plan last year after declaring a climate emergency.

Re: M4 Relief Road News ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54469828

The UK government would never "rule anything out" on bypassing the Welsh Government to build an M4 relief road, the Welsh secretary has told BBC Wales.

Simon Hart said UK ministers would "much prefer" a "collaborative project" to tackle congestion around Newport and the Brynglas tunnels.

He added that while they "probably could" bypass Welsh ministers it would be "complicated" and "controversial".

The Welsh Government said the relief road was a matter for Wales.

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford scrapped a relief road plan last year after declaring a climate emergency.
    I thought the relief road had been ruled out because it was going straight through the gwent levels , a site of scientific interest ?

But he said these new powers were "not there to try and put Welsh Government in a difficult position" but to "enhance what we all want to do which is job creation and investment in Wales".
    Except all those times investment into Wales was scrapped for projects which had more support...

If UK government want to fund this then they can do so and produce funds for electrification of rail-line to Swansea and for nuclear power plant on Anglesey. Or is that too far away from Bristol?

Donald Duckfords boys new plan, is 50mph speed restrictions between Coryton and Coldra !!!

Coming soon.

I reckon they could sort that out in a weekend, by closing the majority of the junctions around Newport. There are far too many. What bulks out the traffic there are all the vehicles entering and leaving the motorway, just taking a short cut in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I reckon they could sort that out in a weekend, by closing the majority of the junctions around Newport. There are far too many. What bulks out the traffic there are all the vehicles entering and leaving the motorway, just taking a short cut in most cases.
    I've noticed that, many more than central Cardiff its maddness, I also think its off-putting for holidmakers and logistical, business which results in revenue's coming into Wales , perhaps better roads providing more revenue that pays for better eco friendly renewables industries like wind turbines etc is better strategy