+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to sign anyone?

Are we going to sign anyone?

I mean really. Are we? Or have we just got to make do with what we have for the rest of the season? I know money is tight, but come on.

Re: Are we going to sign anyone?

Doesn't look good , I suppose the International break doesn't help and the Premiership window has only just closed , perhaps more loans in these worrying financial times .

Well, Gunnersaurus was available for a short time until Ozil offered to pay his wages.
    We might have been in for him!

It seems that every year, I trot out the same comment. "We only need a couple of players, and we're there. If we spent £10m or £15m on three or four players, we'd get promoted". Okay, I know if we did go up, we'd have to spend a whole lot more, but my point is that, on paper at least, success is within touching distance.
    I wonder if fans of other clubs think the same?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It seems that every year, I trot out the same comment. "We only need a couple of players, and we're there. If we spent £10m or £15m on three or four players, we'd get promoted". Okay, I know if we did go up, we'd have to spend a whole lot more, but my point is that, on paper at least, success is within touching distance.
    They probably do, and in these times you might be able to grab a few good players at knock down prices as well .

I think this squad needs at least 3 first team players to get near the playoffs. At the moment I just see a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think this squad needs at least 3 first team players to get near the playoffs. At the moment I just see a struggle.
    I'd go as high as 6

Without some sort of Big injection of quality I can see us being shuffled around in the bottom 6 most of the season. Let’s hope the window and international break br8ngs a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd go as high as 6
    Well last season was a minor miracle then.

I'd like at least 2 in ideally, players who are pushing to start not just squad fillers. Don't see it happening though and in current times it's no great surprise.

Anyone in the division could get near the playoffs with 3 new guaranteed first teamers probably

Probably not

How anyone, in the current covid climate, can expect their club to spend £10m - £15m on players is beyond me. Most Championship clubs will be struggling to just stay afloat. Even though we have sold 13000+ season tickets, which is excellent, that is down a few thousand on last year, plus all the other match day revenue losses including away fan sales, hospitality etc

Lets say for arguments sake we have about a 10% chance of being promoted at the start of the season.

How much do you move the needle with an investment of £15 million?
    up to 20% 30, 40, 50? theres still a big chance that you fail and then the money is wasted.
    There are no guarantees, and even though the rewards for promotion are great, there are many examples of clubs spending a lot and going nowhere!

I think Tan is pragmatic - to invest now is too risky - a big chance you see no return on your investment.#
    I think if we start well one season and are amongst the top few clubs at christmas then you could see more significant investment, as there's a better chance that it'll get you over the line.

I still think we'll bring acouple of players in. Harris seems to recognise the importance of bringing down the average age of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I still think we'll bring acouple of players in. Harris seems to recognise the importance of bringing down the average age of the team.
    Yep agree, I still think we’re in for Sanderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Lets say for arguments sake we have about a 10% chance of being promoted at the start of the season.

How much do you move the needle with an investment of £15 million?
    up to 20% 30, 40, 50? theres still a big chance that you fail and then the money is wasted.
    There are no guarantees, and even though the rewards for promotion are great, there are many examples of clubs spending a lot and going nowhere!

I think Tan is pragmatic - to invest now is too risky - a big chance you see no return on your investment.#
    I think if we start well one season and are amongst the top few clubs at christmas then you could see more significant investment, as there's a better chance that it'll get you over the line.
    I think Tan is the exact opposite of pragmatic. He's overspent needlessly and failed to spend when it has been necessary. He's also shown himself to be prone to knee-jerk reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How anyone, in the current covid climate, can expect their club to spend £10m - £15m on players is beyond me. Most Championship clubs will be struggling to just stay afloat. Even though we have sold 13000+ season tickets, which is excellent, that is down a few thousand on last year, plus all the other match day revenue losses including away fan sales, hospitality etc
    This is 100% true as finances are stretched across the football league, however a look at the current free transfer list shows that there's some serious talent out there. Whilst it feels a little champ manager and there are some of those on the list, like Wilshere etc, would be far from affordable with our wage budget but they would be in the minority and there are guys in there with and recent top end of the championship experience and we should surely be all over them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stat...agslosespieler

The case for prudence is, of course, a strong one, but it could also be argued that the time to spend is when the market is depressed. That’s to say that if our rivals are cutting back, then now might actually be a good time to spend a little, particularly as some clubs might be keen to raise cash and increase our chances of success.
    Getting out of the Championship is more important than ever because Premier League clubs are less reliant on match day revenue.
    Of course, it’s a gamble and I like the club to be sustainable, but is this an opportunity too good to miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    This is 100% true as finances are stretched across the football league, however a look at the current free transfer list shows that there's some serious talent out there. Whilst it feels a little champ manager and there are some of those on the list, like Wilshere etc, would be far from affordable with our wage budget but they would be in the minority and there are guys in there with and recent top end of the championship experience and we should surely be all over them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stat...agslosespieler
    Not too many on there any more, who would improve us or we could afford

Seeing as we don't have any one to back up Osei-Tutu and Tomlin there's not much they'd need to improve on!!

Which is why we need to build our youth programme and be patient.
    Our current team is mid table at best so an odd one or two players, would no doubt improve us but, maybe up to 6-8.
    A very big gamble

Es I think last season was a minor miracle and I am sure it will be proved this season

Seeing as we don't have any one to back up Osei-Tutu and Tomlin there's not much they'd need to improve on!!
    who would you have from that list then?

who would you have from that list then?
    I'd 100% offer Gunter a pay as you play, I'm sure his influence off the pitch on the youngsters would be a huge plus, similarly Danny Simpson. I like Osei-Tutu and think that he'd learn for an older more experienced head, if we play our cards right I can see us taking him long term so developing him this way can be a benefit to us. Cuco Martina could also be an option.

Others on the list in terms of midfield would be Jackson Irvine, Pajtim Kasami, Raj van La Parra, Steve Defour, Andre Green and a long shot would be Alen Halilovic. All have different qualities and at different stages of their careers but would give us options we currently lack as well the majority providing experience of the championship.

I'd 100% offer Gunter a pay as you play, I'm sure his influence off the pitch on the youngsters would be a huge plus, similarly Danny Simpson. I like Osei-Tutu and think that he'd learn for an older more experienced head, if we play our cards right I can see us taking him long term so developing him this way can be a benefit to us. Cuco Martina could also be an option.

Others on the list in terms of midfield would be Jackson Irvine, Pajtim Kasami, Raj van La Parra, Steve Defour, Andre Green and a long shot would be Alen Halilovic. All have different qualities and at different stages of their careers but would give us options we currently lack as well the majority providing experience of the championship.
    Guter has signed for Charlton on a 2 yer deal, with an option of a third!
    when has anyone ever actally had a pay as you play deal?