+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ENGLAND v WALES. Match thread

Re: ENGLAND v WALES. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I think it's harsh to judge some of these players when we're missing so much of our usual key players. Ampadu is chasing shadows partly because he's completely exposed. This is a really pointless game for both sides.
    Not for England. They've been able to give debuts to several players who will have seen this as a very positive experience.

WTF is Gunter playing?

Have played well with so many key players out. Defending has been awful from. Crosses all goals could have been avoided

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Grealish gave Ampadu a bit of a schooling.
    Couldn't get near him.
    Don't set her off

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I think it's harsh to judge some of these players when we're missing so much of our usual key players. Ampadu is chasing shadows partly because he's completely exposed. This is a really pointless game for both sides.
    Friendlies are important, it's where the managers can experiment, and the players get used to playing with each other. You don't want to be doing that in competitive games.

We just didn’t defend their crosses all night. Mepham had a horrible game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not for England. They've been able to give debuts to several players who will have seen this as a very positive experience.

WTF is Gunter playing?
    I’d rather Gunter start than Connor Roberts.
    I think that Neco Williams should start but I’d love to see Gunter get 100 Caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Friendlies are important, it's where the managers can experiment, and the players get used to playing with each other. You don't want to be doing that in competitive games.
    Sorry, perhaps I should have said pointless for us, England possibly not so much. I just find it difficult to really judge how good some of our players are when you take out literally every single key player for us. Ampadu would always have a far stronger midfield in front of him than tonight, so I wouldn't really judge him being ran around like was by Grealish. We always struggle somewhat when one or two of our strongest players are missing, but when all of them aren't on the pitch, it's asking a bit too much of the rest to still make too much of an impact on the game

We lost by three goal margin to Spain (7th in the world) and by a three goal margin to England (4th in the world). Arguably, our performance tonight was better, though also more frustrating considering conceding through lack of communication at set-piece twice and no goal to cheer.

We need to either keep Kieffer Moore protected in friendlies such as this or quickly find an alternative way of scoring goals. Tyler Roberts looks like a really intelligent attacking midfielder but he's not an international striker and, Jack Vale aside, we seem to be lacking a bigger body upfront in youth set-up.

the 1st half was dire from both sides

I didnt watch the 2nd 1/2 as i headed out and watched my local non-league teams last 30mins of the game, that says it all

Thought we did OK as were missing key players.

We gave away 3 poor goals which makes us look a lot worse and them look a lot better.

Better for it to happen in a friendly than a proper game as will probably regain focus on doing the simple things right

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Minus 8 for Grealish?

"His work with the ball was very good, we know he draws those fouls, he's comfortable receiving in tight areas"..... aka, cheating diving p***k

Good player tho

Wales have 2 players who would get in the England squad Bale and Ramsey. Both missing. Therefore we were hammered. Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wales have 2 players who would get in the England squad Bale and Ramsey. Both missing. Therefore we were hammered. Thats it.
    Yep, I feared the worst when I saw the squads, but in fairness to Giggs I think he came out of it with some credit.
    Yes the eventual scoreline was 3-0 but I think that flattered England, and papered over some of the issues they still have in their squad.
    Our pressing was very good at times, quite a few times we won the ball back in dangerous areas, but were unable to make those count.
    For the first hour I'd say the teams were pretty even, just the defensive errors costing us.
    After that England did get on top, possibly our players started to tire, or possibly the substitutions made them more difficult to press, or perhaps the scoreboard had knocked the stuffing out of them all things considered, it's about the most positive I've felt after a 3-0 defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yep, I feared the worst when I saw the squads, but in fairness to Giggs I think he came out of it with some credit.
    Yes the eventual scoreline was 3-0 but I think that flattered England, and papered over some of the issues they still have in their squad.
    Our pressing was very good at times, quite a few times we won the ball back in dangerous areas, but were unable to make those count.
    For the first hour I'd say the teams were pretty even, just the defensive errors costing us.
    After that England did get on top, possibly our players started to tire, or possibly the substitutions made them more difficult to press, or perhaps the scoreboard had knocked the stuffing out of them all things considered, it's about the most positive I've felt after a 3-0 defeat.
    Hennessy made 3 or 4 worldies and there were umpteen times the ball went loose in our box with defenders scrambling round.

If anything, 3 nil flattered us!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We lost by three goal margin to Spain (7th in the world) and by a three goal margin to England (4th in the world). Arguably, our performance tonight was better, though also more frustrating considering conceding through lack of communication at set-piece twice and no goal to cheer.

We need to either keep Kieffer Moore protected in friendlies such as this or quickly find an alternative way of scoring goals. Tyler Roberts looks like a really intelligent attacking midfielder but he's not an international striker and, Jack Vale aside, we seem to be lacking a bigger body upfront in youth set-up.
    I thought last night was better than the Spain match, we were completely outclassed then but last night we were the better team first half and it was a defending horrorshow (what was Mepham doing for DCL's goal??!) that gave them the lead. Second half they showed their quality and could have had more but we were missing some key players, which is huge for a team like us.

All England’s players were Premier League regulars, we had Ben Davies, the rest of our team were from Division 1, Championship or Premier League reserves! We still can’t compete with the top teams without our stars as we have no strength in depth!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I thought last night was better than the Spain match, we were completely outclassed then but last night we were the better team first half and it was a defending horrorshow (what was Mepham doing for DCL's goal??!) that gave them the lead. Second half they showed their quality and could have had more but we were missing some key players, which is huge for a team like us.
    I thought we held our own 1st-half too. The late 1st-half and 2nd-half involved multiple substitutions, unique to friendlies, and the quality gap became more apparent with their strength in depth.