+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping Point

Re: Tipping Point

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Just seen it as I had it on record. Unbelievable how such brain-dead people feel comfortabe to share their stupidity with the viewing public. The winner has got to be the dimmest person ever to get to the final.
    And he had the audacity to say at one point "I don't want to look stupid!" or words of that ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    And he had the audacity to say at one point "I don't want to look stupid!" or words of that ilk.
    Indeed he did. I think the viewing public had already made their mind up by that point ! George Washington, Christopher Columbus and 6 old pennies in the pound are three of the most inane answers I've ever seen on a quiz show.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Also I just checked what ‘stae’ meant. It’s an organisation called Save The Asian Elephantshehe:
    Well they need saving!

Today's best answer

Ben : "'Papillon' is the French word for which flying insect?"
    Contestant : "dog"

Much hilariy followed.

Gareth Thomas on there tonight. Not only thick as pig shit but seems to becoming more of a knob every time he's on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Gareth Thomas on there tonight. Not only thick as pig shit but seems to becoming more of a knob every time he's on the box.
    Im not sure where Alfie fits in with being a " celebrity " ex rugby player doesnt cut it, being gay doesnt either, he does appear rather keen to crack it though

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He should have gone for the trade though because the ten grand counter dropped.
    Well in that particular instance, no guarantee if he had done it for real it would have worked that way, unless the counter is basically clinging on already.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Im not sure where Alfie fits in with being a " celebrity " ex rugby player doesnt cut it, being gay doesnt either, he does appear rather keen to crack it though
    He can be criticised for a lot of things, but I don't think not being famous enough to be deemed a celebrity is one of them. He is far more well known than many who appear on these shows. There have been celebrity editions of quizzes where I've never even seen any of them before, let alone know their names or what they've done.

Whatever the bar is to be on a celebrity edition, he is certainly above it.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    He can be criticised for a lot of things, but I don't think not being famous enough to be deemed a celebrity is one of them. He is far more well known than many who appear on these shows. There have been celebrity editions of quizzes where I've never even seen any of them before, let alone know their names or what they've done.

Exactly.
    When an ex American football player is one of the 12 celebrities on Strictly, then the bar has been lowered even further.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Today's best answer

Ben : "'Papillon' is the French word for which flying insect?"
    Contestant : "dog"

Much hilariy followed.
    It is a breed of dog mind so I think they just heard some key information and not the entire question.

It must be bloody hard people firing questions at you

I didnt mean being a " celebrity game show contestant " ( he is welcome to that ), Alfie wants to be a celebrity, but being a ex rugby player or gay doesn't cut it, he is giving it a go though

I didnt mean being a " celebrity game show contestant " ( he is welcome to that ), Alfie wants to be a celebrity, but being a ex rugby player or gay doesn't cut it, he is giving it a go though
    I did understand what you meant.

The bar for being a celebrity is really low. Of course he 'cuts it'. Everyone here knows who he is. I bet everyone in our families know who he is. There are people who become so-called celebrities just for being a girlfriend/boyfriend of someone else, but he at least has achievements in his own name.

You may not like him because he played rugby or he's gay, that's up to you, but he is well known. I'm not sure how that can be disputed.

Imagine thinking Gareth Thomas isn’t famous enough in a country that considers people on gogglebox watching the telly celebrities.

I don’t know why his sexuality comes into it either.

Daytime TV is the worst.

Some of the people they have on the day quizzes is unbelievable.

Theres a show called Tenable with Warwick Davies where you have to name the top 10 answers to a question. There are normally teams of 5 I think and one answers but can ask for help.

Question to this young lad. Name the top 10 surnames in Wales. He says he is really struggling. Eventually he says Douglas. Obviously wrong. He has another chance says hes struggling and asks his family. One suggests Price. He says that has given him a much better idea much to Warwicks relief. So he unbelievably says Prince!!!! Wrong.

The answers then came up with Jones number 1. Along with Thomas , Davies Evans etc. Warwick in disbelief says recognise any. He says one or 2 ring a bell. Warwick says says what about Jones and the Welsh singer Tom Jones. He says no never heard of it and I dont like Welsh singers I like Heavy Metal!!!!

You may not like him because he played rugby or he's gay, that's up to you, but he is well known. I'm not sure how that can be disputed.
    just for the record, i never said i didnt like him because he played rugby or he's gay, infact i didnt even say i didnt like him

just for the record, i never said i didnt like him because he played rugby or he's gay, infact i didnt even say i didnt like him
    Yes, you didn't say that explicitly. I used 'may' because for some reason it's the impression I got.

Pedantry aside, the definition of celebrity has been watered down a lot in the past 15 or so years, and by any stretch of the current one, Gareth Thomas is one.

Yes, you didn't say that explicitly. I used 'may' because for some reason it's the impression I got.

Pedantry aside, the definition of celebrity has been watered down a lot in the past 15 or so years, and by any stretch of the current one, Gareth Thomas is one.
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/...s-how-fortune/

The Historian Greg Jenner has a book about the history of Celebrity, and he defines it such:

When I began writing, I made the foolish assumption that there would be a clear-cut definition of celebrity. But a year-and-a-half later, I still couldn’t find one. So I’ve come up with my own.

Firstly, a celebrity has to have something about them that’s distinctive, recognisable and iconic. They are someone who is known to strangers, but they don’t know the strangers in return – that’s called ‘parasocial intimacy’ – and their fame is spread through the mass media: they appear in newspapers and on the telly and radio.

But it’s not enough for someone to be professionally interesting – they also need to have a private life that is fascinating to the public. On this basis, I would make the controversial argument that Sir David Attenborough is not a celebrity because, while I know an enormous amount about his career, I don’t know anything about his life.

Finally, I would argue that celebrity requires the existence of a commercial marketplace based on the person’s fame – basically a micro-economy where other people can make money from them.

By that definition I'd say Thomas meets the first criteria, and possibly the second, but I'm not sure that he would the third - maybe.

p.s. Check out Greg Jenner's "you're dead to me" podcasts on BBS sounds - they're brilliant

Your impression is wrong then, i am indifferent with my feelings for Alfie

except for questioning where he will fit in to the celebrity world

Your impression is wrong then, i am indifferent with my feelings for Alfie

except for questioning where he will fit in to the celebrity world
    Of course

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.historyextra.com/period/...s-how-fortune/

The Historian Greg Jenner has a book about the history of Celebrity, and he defines it such:

By that definition I'd say Thomas meets the first criteria, and possibly the second, but I'm not sure that he would the third - maybe.

p.s. Check out Greg Jenner's "you're dead to me" podcasts on BBS sounds - they're brilliant
    I guess they all have agents, which is the third one. And I think he does ads for Guinness.

But as far as this discussion goes, it's 'do they fit a TV show with the word Celebrity in the title'.

Heisenberg

Of course
    Blatant

Better stop posting things you aren't sure of or we are going to run out of internet.

A few years ago was talking to a mate of mine in a shop, he commented something along the lines of what’s going on with Alf? I went on a ramble saying that I couldn’t understand why he’d been a prolific goalscorer elsewhere yet couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo for us, the only Alf I knew who’d be the subject of such a question was Adam Le Fondre. On subsequent visits to WOW and Pulse for the happy hours, I certain know who he was on about now

Two beauties on there today

BS :—— In Cockney rhyming slang, what part of the mouth is referred to as Hamsted Heath

Amy:——- Mouth

I'd say that coming out as a Gay world level sportsman certainly does cut it! His personality may be another thing to consider.