+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking gear for the winter

Walking gear for the winter

just been online to get some walking trousers , winter base layers and jackets

Mountain warehouse do some good basic range stuff , also regatta

Helly Hansen kiss my arse

Re: Walking gear for the winter

Some nice trails about up this neck of the woods. Merthyr Tydfil - Gods Country.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some nice trails about up this neck of the woods. Merthyr Tydfil - Gods Country.
    Through the aberdare tunnel and back over the top is a great walk.

Have you considered buying a diary?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Best waterproof over trousers I've had/got are Peter Storm. Better than some of the technical brands I've had.

Very true butt. Some decent walks Pontsticill way onto the Beacons. Some decent pubs to warm up in too.

Gods Country? Sodom and Gomorrah isnt it? I prefer thinking of it as the latter, it sounds a lot more of a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Very true butt. Some decent walks Pontsticill way onto the Beacons. Some decent pubs to warm up in too.

Gods Country? Sodom and Gomorrah isnt it? I prefer thinking of it as the latter, it sounds a lot more of a laugh.
    God sent his son, Jesus to Merthyr. He made sure he had 12 Disciples as he was aware of the dangers Jesus may encounter walking about on his own, especially at night. Amen..

Hardcore walks up there

Some very good fishing in the reservoirs just out of merthyr

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Have you considered buying a diary?
    to remind me to get up in the morning type ?

Best waterproof over trousers I've had/got are Peter Storm. Better than some of the technical brands I've had.
    Peter storm , regatta seem to be fine

Went to a walking and climbing shop in canton once , under the first bridge for some walking trainers

Tried to sell me a pair for 120 quid

We ended the relationship there and then

Peter storm , regatta seem to be fine

Went to a walking and climbing shop in canton once , under the first bridge for some walking trainers

Tried to sell me a pair for 120 quid

We ended the relationship there and then
    Only my opinion and it does depend what level or type of walking you do but pay decent money for walking shoes and jacket. All the other layers not so much if you don't want too.

Some of the best trousers I've had are not the big technical names although as I regularly do the Beacons in winter Goretex or decent insulation jackets are a must.

Is there an award for the best dressed dogger?

If you are going to do some serious walking then there is nothing better than Rohan. A bit more expensive than Mountain Warehouse but as they say Buy Cheap Buy Twice! I can guarantee that this is good stuff. Have done the South Downs Way and the Dales Way and it rained !!

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens

Only my opinion and it does depend what level or type of walking you do but pay decent money for walking shoes and jacket. All the other layers not so much if you don't want too.

Some of the best trousers I've had are not the big technical names although as I regularly do the Beacons in winter Goretex or decent insulation jackets are a must.
    I have some decent boots and trainers for low level stuff

Wouldn't even consider Caerphilly mountain in the winter , the beacons ? You are clearly off it

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    If you are going to do some serious walking then there is nothing better than Rohan. A bit more expensive than Mountain Warehouse but as they say Buy Cheap Buy Twice! I can guarantee that this is good stuff. Have done the South Downs Way and the Dales Way and it rained !!

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens
    mate when it comes to walking I am a goldfish surrounded by great white sharks

First Team

I once met Warnock in (big) Tesco Bridgend and he had a full set of Helly Hansen gear on.

I have some decent boots and trainers for low level stuff

Wouldn't even consider Caerphilly mountain in the winter , the beacons ? You are clearly off it
    Good for the soul Sludge butt.

Crisp, dry day in the Beacons gets the blood going and gives me a bit of a buzz. There’s also a load of walks up that way where you don’t need to be Ray Mears to negotiate.

Decathlon do some decent gear and to be fair to them, its very well priced

We all have summer ( light ) and winter hiking boots from them, last week i purchased a few warm ( ish ) jackets, they were £15 each and i must admit they are good quality,

Good for the soul Sludge butt.

Crisp, dry day in the Beacons gets the blood going and gives me a bit of a buzz. There’s also a load of walks up that way where you don’t need to be Ray Mears to negotiate.
    Good for the soul , curtains for my ankle ligaments

I have enough problems following the taff trail

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Decathlon do some decent gear and to be fair to them, its very well priced

We all have summer ( light ) and winter hiking boots from them, last week i purchased a few warm ( ish ) jackets, they were £15 each and i must admit they are good quality,
    have you got a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I once met Warnock in (big) Tesco Bridgend and he had a full set of Helly Hansen gear on.
    warlock is a god , hes allowed

Depending where you are going to walk should determine your budget.
    I have just returned from Scotland where I walked 5 mountains including Ben Nevis. I doubt a £15 jacket would be my choice for a wet day on a mountain . As someone said layers dont need to be budget breaking but your top layer has to be of good quality at a minimum and shoes/ boots at least £100 for a decent pair that will last and keep your feet dry.
    When you get wet miles from home up a mountain, you appreciate you should have extended the budget , I wont be skimping on the important stuff again .
    Do a google search for the best value walking clothes for the type of walking you want to do.

just spoken to Helly she's not happy with the invite is she Alan's sister .

Mountain is as good as anything on the market

Buying a decent fabric protector for a tenner on Amazon is well worth a punt , spayed on Mountain Shower proof coats ,leggings saves you a fortune from the outlay of many hundreds associated to gortex , I got this one below on Amazon for £8.49

Scotchgard Long Lasting Protection Waterproofs Fabric Repels Water 1 Can 400 ml

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Buying a decent fabric protector for a tenner on Amazon is well worth a punt , spayed on Mountain Shower proof coats ,leggings saves you a fortune from the outlay of many hundreds associated to gortex , I got this one below on Amazon for £8.49

Scotchgard Long Lasting Protection Waterproofs Fabric Repels Water 1 Can 400 ml
    Fabsil...£4.99 for 400ml at Screwfix does the job, too.