+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Fishwhackers

The Fishwhackers

I see there’s a little firm following Fisher FC over in Bermondsey these days. more & more folk getting drawn to non league footie clubs.

Re: The Fishwhackers

I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not, but i drove my son around south wales a few years back following Penybont FC, he was studying in how to use Film Cameras and collating data based on the games we watched. I've got to say that i really enjoyed the whole feeling of non League at Welsh Prem level. The football wasn't great but the feeling of community and the care and love towards the club from the supporters was great to see. Some absolute loons as well, which reminded me of watching us during the dungeon days. And a cup of tea in a mug!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not, but i drove my son around south wales a few years back following Penybont FC, he was studying in how to use Film Cameras and collating data based on the games we watched. I've got to say that i really enjoyed the whole feeling of non League at Welsh Prem level. The football wasn't great but the feeling of community and the care and love towards the club from the supporters was great to see. Some absolute loons as well, which reminded me of watching us during the dungeon days. And a cup of tea in a mug!
    Not a joke tuerto, I have a mate who runs a radio station called traffic island discs which is dedicated to non league football, he’s a mad whitehawks fan. always sending me stuff about Merthyr, I just think that fans are getting disillusioned with the top flight football on offer these days and being drawn to these more community clubs like you mentioned.

Fishwhackers what a great name for a firm.

On their calling cards ‘You’ve been kippered by the Fishwhackers’.

Tuerto, I done a load of Cymru Premier and Cymru South matches last year and you’re right it has a much more of a community feel and the whole atmosphere is a lot less effort, hassle and enjoyable (personal opinion). Ammanford AFC have quite a character as a supporter and special mention to Goytre United goalkeeper a lad called Stanton who was first class entertainment with his verbals and actions to others. Worth the £5 entry fee just to listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Fishwhackers what a great name for a firm.

On their calling cards ‘You’ve been kippered by the Fishwhackers’.

Tuerto, I done a load of Cymru Premier and Cymru South matches last year and you’re right it has a much more of a community feel and the whole atmosphere is a lot less effort, hassle and enjoyable (personal opinion). Ammanford AFC have quite a character as a supporter and special mention to Goytre United goalkeeper a lad called Stanton who was first class entertainment with his verbals and actions to others. Worth the £5 entry fee just to listen to him.
    Yup, did a load of games with my boy. Cambrian and Clydach? that was fun! lovely little ground, mug of tea for 50p and a couple of ladies behind the snack bar who could be your mum! It's hassle free, cheap, and if it's a local derby or top of the table clash things can get tasty!

Yup, did a load of games with my boy. Cambrian and Clydach? that was fun! lovely little ground, mug of tea for 50p and a couple of ladies behind the snack bar who could be your mum! It's hassle free, cheap, and if it's a local derby or top of the table clash things can get tasty!
    I was impressed with Cambrian’s set up and structure. They seemed to be properly involved in the community and for someone who played in Boys Clubs leagues was heartened to see they had links to their local boys and girls club. Their coaching structure and academy(?) sounded very decent too.

A guy I worked with a few years ago abandoned all football league games due to the money paid to players and the exorbitantly high transfer fees.

Instead, him and his band of slightly off the wall characters travelled the length and breadth of the country taking in for instance games in the South West Peninsula League Premier Division West (Cornwall) as well as those played much nearer the Scottish borders. I don't think any of them were married as they would spend each and every weekend during the football season watching as many games as possible in as many different leagues as possible, whilst enjoying the local cuisine (usually fish and chips)

Any conversations I had with him thereafter in which I raised the topic of Cardiff City led to a torrent of sarcasm and verbal abuse. !

I can relate to this . More and more being disillusioned with money football, although as a spectacle at the top level it has to be admired for the skill levels.
    Not quite the lowly leagues being mentioned here , one of my best mates lives in Newport I have been over to watch them on a few occasions recently when Cardiff were away and really enjoyed the experience .A far more down to earth experience.
    Who knows how football will look when we return to some kind of normality, what I do know as a Cardiff City supporter I am no longer interested in us making it to the greedy league.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I can relate to this . More and more being disillusioned with money football, although as a spectacle at the top level it has to be admired for the skill levels.
    Not quite the lowly leagues being mentioned here , one of my best mates lives in Newport I have been over to watch them on a few occasions recently when Cardiff were away and really enjoyed the experience .A far more down to earth experience.
    Who knows how football will look when we return to some kind of normality, what I do know as a Cardiff City supporter I am no longer interested in us making it to the greedy league.
    You are right , equally for me the coming together of friends and the camaraderie on the day also lives with you , for me is bigger than the actual event .

Standing on a wintry touchline with Bovril or hot toddy in hand , watching mud soaken football has a romance attached to it , I certantly loved playing it .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Same here Jimmy, when Warnock took us up to the premiership I stopped going to matches, after the last promotion I just knew it wasn't a level playing field. The Samuel ETO goal was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Same here Jimmy, when Warnock took us up to the premiership I stopped going to matches, after the last promotion I just knew it wasn't a level playing field. The Samuel ETO goal was enough for me.
    Football has never been a level playing field though. Admittedly there's a lot more money involved, although it could be said that the money has seen us prosper, even though we carry a shit load of debt. I don't like Sky and all that it brings, but i put that to the back of my mind and concentrate on the game. The industry that is football has never cared for supporters. I've no interest in the Premier league anyway. I do enjoy the welsh premier games though, that's simply from a personal perspective. Very relaxed, players look like they're enjoying the game, you can walk around and chat to people and it's cheap, although i certainly don't possess the emotional attachment that i have for The City, and that makes the difference for me.

I watched some of the LOW game on Facebook yesterday. Bala v Aberystwyth. It wasn't bad at all. Decent movement, ball control and discipline. From Bala at least. It actually made me wonder what the difference is between these players and players in League 1 or 2.

Football has never been a level playing field though. Admittedly there's a lot more money involved, although it could be said that the money has seen us prosper, even though we carry a shit load of debt. I don't like Sky and all that it brings, but i put that to the back of my mind and concentrate on the game. The industry that is football has never cared for supporters. I've no interest in the Premier league anyway. I do enjoy the welsh premier games though, that's simply from a personal perspective. Very relaxed, players look like they're enjoying the game, you can walk around and chat to people and it's cheap, although i certainly don't possess the emotional attachment that i have for The City, and that makes the difference for me.
    You summed it up in two words "emotional attachment". Might be fun being with your mates watching non-league football occasionally, but without experiencing the highs and lows of supporting your team, it doesn't quite fill that void.

A few years ago over the Christmas period I saw Wealdstone v Sutton United with my son and his brother-in-law. Very enjoyable, Bovril and pies aplenty but as soon as the game was over that was it. No disecting the performances of the players, no anticipation of the next game, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I watched some of the LOW game on Facebook yesterday. Bala v Aberystwyth. It wasn't bad at all. Decent movement, ball control and discipline. From Bala at least. It actually made me wonder what the difference is between these players and players in League 1 or 2.
    There is a difference in my opinion, although it's got loads better. I played at that level many years ago now and it was shite, glorified parks with the odd waster who had been with a football league club who could play but didn't give a shit. The only way that the standard will improve is if more money is pumped into the game, that means more interest, more fans supporting the league. Saying that, the Northern clubs seem to have a fair few non league stalwarts playing for them who cost a few quid. When i was playing you got £80.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    You summed it up in two words "emotional attachment". Might be fun being with your mates watching non-league football occasionally, but without experiencing the highs and lows of supporting your team, it doesn't quite fill that void.

A few years ago over the Christmas period I saw Wealdstone v Sutton United with my son and his brother-in-law. Very enjoyable, Bovril and pies aplenty but as soon as the game was over that was it. No disecting the performances of the players, no anticipation of the next game, nothing.
    Absolutely. It's a fun day out, o pressure, no emotional attachment. If i gave up on Cardiff City i couldn't really support another club. I may have an interest, but it wouldn't bother me in the same way City do.