+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: REPUBLIC of IRELAND 0 - 0 WALES. Match thread

Re: REPUBLIC of IRELAND v WALES. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Brooks is one of the most exciting players in our squad, playing a right back ahead of him is sheer lunacy
    I'm not sure if he is completely over his injury, as he hasn't had a solid run of games since he's been back. If he was fit he would have started, and he wasn't even on the bench for the last game. Let's see what happens against Bulgaria and if he starts or not.

Giggs is going through what Tosack had to, that is playing inexperienced youngsters.

Giggs isn't my favorite person, but give him a bit of leeway people !!!!!!

Playing a right back ahead of him is sheer lunacy
    Williams is actually a winger, and Liverpool are doing that Trent Alexander-Arnold thing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Giggs is going through what Tosack had to, that is playing inexperienced youngsters.

Giggs isn't my favorite person, but give him a bit of leeway people !!!!!!
    Well I’m not going to pull you up

Re: FT: REPUBLIC of IRELAND 0 - 0 WALES. Match thread

It was a poor decision. Jonny Williams should have come on ahead of Levitt.

Giggs certainly seems to have his favourites who get brought on regardless of the impact it has on shape, Levitt and N.Williams are two of those. Surely it would have made more sense to bring on N.Williams for C.Roberts and Brooks for Wilson? Have a more attacking full back to overlap Brooks who can cut in onto his favoured left foot? Jonny in the middle to provide some much needed impetus
    Agreed that there is much more urgency in midfield when Jonny Williams plays. I saw the game on my phone so difficult to analyse but scoring goals against any team is going to be a problem playing like that.

Hopefully it is only the familiarity of playing against the same old Irish team that prevents us from playing a more expansive game. They know how to nullify us and by and large the opposite is true.

It was noticeable however how statuesque some of our players were at times. Little or no effort was made to shake off their markers to find space, so we became more predictable as the game wore on.

Having said that, a fully fit Bale, Ramsey and Allen would obviously make a massive difference and give the opposition a lot more to think about.

I'd like to see Brooks playing as a 10, with Ramsey and Allen behind, and Bale on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I'd like to see Brooks playing as a 10, with Ramsey and Allen behind, and Bale on the right.
    Why? Ramsey is less effective when he plays in a deeper role and he's a better attacking midfielder than Brooks.

I'd try this team out..

Hennessy

Mepham - Ampadu - Rodon

Williams - Allan - Ramsey - Davies

Bale - HRK - Brooks

It doesn't help that we were told the England game didn't matter as it was all about the Nation's League....

The Nation's League has been used by Giggs as an opportunity to build up young players cap count and this game was successful again in doing that but, Ireland at home aside, has rarely produced exciting fixtures for us. It's very difficult to know how to judge Giggs really as we know Wales are at least 10x the side in front of a home crowd, and we did qualify for the Euros, but I would also say only three or four games have been a complete or near complete performance.

I would leave it on two points:

i) Giggs appears to have taken a lot of influence from Van Gaal and the more you learn about his system the easier it is to understand what we're trying to do.

ii) Giggs will ultimately be judged based on our performance at the Euros and whether we qualify for the World Cup. If we do well and qualify then he's used the Nation's league to perfection, even if it's been dull at times, but if we don't then we'll be left wondering why we've missed our targets and shown more frustrating performances than exciting ones.

I'd try this team out..

Hennessy

Mepham - Ampadu - Rodon

Williams - Allan - Ramsey - Davies

Bale - HRK - Brooks
    is this for Wednesday? because Hal's got a broken arm

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    is this for Wednesday? because Hal's got a broken arm
    Sometime before Euro 21 when they are all fit.

Sometime before Euro 21 when they are all fit.
    Might be interesting in a friendly. Allan has 9 caps for Brazil though so he's ineligible for us

Might be interesting in a friendly. Allan has 9 caps for Brazil though so he's ineligible for us
    Maybe if he changed his name to Allen nobody would notice

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well I’m not going to pull you up
    Thatcher's cider

It was a poor decision. Jonny Williams should have come on ahead of Levitt.

Giggs certainly seems to have his favourites who get brought on regardless of the impact it has on shape, Levitt and N.Williams are two of those. Surely it would have made more sense to bring on N.Williams for C.Roberts and Brooks for Wilson? Have a more attacking full back to overlap Brooks who can cut in onto his favoured left foot? Jonny in the middle to provide some much needed impetus
    Although he plays well for Wales,Jonny can’t get into the Division 1 Charlton team? and Vaulks is behind three reserve players in Murrell,Smith and Levitt!
    I don’t think Brooks is fit that’s why he was on the bench,Ramsey was disappointing today?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Although he plays well for Wales,Jonny can’t get into the Division 1 Charlton team? and Vaulks is behind three reserve players in Murrell,Smith and Levitt!
    I don’t think Brooks is fit that’s why he was on the bench,Ramsey was disappointing today?
    I thought Ramsey did ok, tried to make something happen

I thought Ramsey did ok, tried to make something happen
    The James - Morrell - Smith - Wilson thing didn't work, and Moore didn't get any service, hence I suggested a new formation to play to our strengths (actually a 3-4-2-1).

Finland 2 Bulgaria 0 - swings and roundabouts really, Finland are close to us and could well be above us by Wednesday, but on the other hand, Bulgaria were comfortably beaten at home by Hungary in midweek and now this defeat, I think that's one win in eighteen now for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Abysmal performance as far as I'm concerned, ROI are an awful team that couldn't even fill a bench and we played like we wanted a 0-0, no urgency and the Morrell and Smith combo aren't good enough to play the way Giggs is trying, passing accuracy is too poor.
    To be fair to Morrell, I'd say that's the first poorish game he's played in a Wales shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Jonny has proven his quality for us over the years and just last month showed the urgency required to help break down a team.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thatcher's cider
    She damaged many a good bloke!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To be fair to Morrell, I'd say that's the first poorish game he's played in a Wales shirt.
    James and Wilson were poor too, they kept playing the ball backwards or back inside. The full backs were much better at getting forward, so I would like to see us try out a back three.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought Morrell did ok but Smith was very poor.

James and Wilson were poor too, they kept playing the ball backwards or back inside. The full backs were much better at getting forward, so I would like to see us try out a back three.
    I'd actually quite like to see a back three with Ampadu as sweeper. This would also work with Neco Williams as a wing back. Could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'd actually quite like to see a back three with Ampadu as sweeper. This would also work with Neco Williams as a wing back. Could work.
    Ben Davies is also good going forward, so I think it would really suit us. It's very flexible too.