+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: REPUBLIC of IRELAND 0 - 0 WALES. Match thread

Re: FT: REPUBLIC of IRELAND 0 - 0 WALES. Match thread

Luckily Moore is suspended for Bulgaria leaving him hopefully fresh for the Preston game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Luckily Moore is suspended for Bulgaria leaving him hopefully fresh for the Preston game.
    what are you doing in this thread

The worry I have is that a number of the younger players may not be as good as I had hoped. Smith, Matondo, Mepham, T. Roberts and even Dan James seem to be struggling. I do think Ampadu and Rodon are going to be terrific players in the years ahead and Brooks too if he stays fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The worry I have is that a number of the younger players may not be as good as I had hoped. Smith, Matondo, Mepham, T. Roberts and even Dan James seem to be struggling. I do think Ampadu and Rodon are going to be terrific players in the years ahead and Brooks too if he stays fit.
    James and Wilson are very decent Premiership players, just both at the wrong clubs. James would do well at Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    James and Wilson are very decent Premiership players, just both at the wrong clubs. James would do well at Leeds
    James confidence seems shattered but agree he has enough about him to do well. I am beginning to think Wilson will be a very good Championship player but no more than that.

James confidence seems shattered but agree he has enough about him to do well. I am beginning to think Wilson will be a very good Championship player but no more than that.
    31 appearances, 7 goals for Bournemouth last season, he's definitely capable of playing in the Prem

31 appearances, 7 goals for Bournemouth last season, he's definitely capable of playing in the Prem
    Yet Bournemouth fans were slagging him off no end. They really didn’t seem to rate him.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Can we call up Doidge for the next game with Moore suspended
    No. He won't have time to pass Covid regulations.

Yet Bournemouth fans were slagging him off no end. They really didn’t seem to rate him.
    Really? Didn't realise that

Really? Didn't realise that
    He seemed to do ok to start with but towards the end it wasn’t a good read. A lot didn’t want him anyway near the side.

He seemed to do ok to start with but towards the end it wasn’t a good read. A lot didn’t want him anyway near the side.
    I watched a lot of Bournmouth games last season, so I didn't have to read about it, but it's true that he didn't make the most of a good opportunity, which is now probably affecting his Liverpool standing. Ditto Woodburn.

I thought it was a general confidence issue. Ramsey aside there was no willingness to change the tempo or make a penetrative pass. Everything was conservative. No runners going past their markers. Ireland are Wales in progress, moving to a less back to front team but lacking the willingness to move the ball quickly. Still it was quicker than we did.

Ball possession is important at international level but so is the speed with which you use it. Both sides gave it away cheaply and were pedestrian in trying to get into threatening areas. That said I lost a few quid on a flight there but the game wasn't that much different to the two previous I did attend, enlivened only by Harry Wilson's sublime free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I thought it was a general confidence issue. Ramsey aside there was no willingness to change the tempo or make a penetrative pass. Everything was conservative. No runners going past their markers. Ireland are Wales in progress, moving to a less back to front team but lacking the willingness to move the ball quickly. Still it was quicker than we did.

Ball possession is important at international level but so is the speed with which you use it. Both sides gave it away cheaply and were pedestrian in trying to get into threatening areas. That said I lost a few quid on a flight there but the game wasn't that much different to the two previous I did attend, enlivened only by Harry Wilson's sublime free kick.
    Yep. Too many of our players were very conservative in their passing. In good positions to move the ball forward they passed it back and momentum was lost. The passing from both sides was terrible. Really low quality stuff. We obviously miss Bale but Allen is a big miss too. I did think both Rodon and Ampadu looked comfortable moving forward with the ball.

Another clean sheet, another game for youngsters and a point away from home are the positives but “on paper” we should be beating ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Another clean sheet, another game for youngsters and a point away from home are the positives but “on paper” we should be beating ROI.
    Why? Ireland had 9 Premier League players in their starting line up, we had only 6 if you count reserves Henessey, James Wilson and Ampadu!

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Why? Ireland had 9 Premier League players in their starting line up, we had only 6 if you count reserves Henessey, James Wilson and Ampadu!
    Let's count Ireland's Premier League "reserves" too, shall we?

Randolph, Kevin Long, Molumby, Brady and Shane Long.

The only players to start every PL game for their team this season has been the mighty Jeff Hendrick and Enda Stevens.

Edit: you also conveniently missed out that one of our players is playing in Serie A for Juventus too.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Let's count Ireland's Premier League "reserves" too, shall we?

Randolph, Kevin Long, Molumby, Brady and Shane Long.

The only players to start every PL game for their team this season has been the mighty Jeff Hendrick and Enda Stevens.

Edit: you also conveniently missed out that one of our players is playing in Serie A for Juventus too.
    Ramsey aside, the two teams are much of a muchness.
    If anything I'd probably give them a slight edge.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ramsey aside, the two teams are much of a muchness.
    Not according to Ianto there isn't. They're a team of Premier League superstars compared to us (yeah, I'm exaggerating a bit).

I prefer to have our side compared to Ireland's any day of the week, but for all of the talk about our bright young things in attacking positions, we're really struggling in front of goal this season - our record of two goals from four games isn't that bad when you consider we've only had eight on target efforts in three hundred and sixty minutes this autumn.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I prefer to have our side compared to Ireland's any day of the week, but for all of the talk about our bright young things in attacking positions, we're really struggling in front of goal this season - our record of two goals from four games isn't that bad when you consider we've only had eight on target efforts in three hundred and sixty minutes this autumn.
    That few shots on target? That is a massive worry.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    But apart from that...