+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Premier League Reform

Re: Premier League Reform

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Latest in a long line of steps that ultimately lead to a closed shop premier league (or perhaps european super league - hell maybe a global league). With franchise teams representing different areas.

The billionaire investors controlling the big clubs have long been coveting the kind of earnings that the NFL franchises generate
    Would the super league perhaps not be a bad thing for say they top 6 , I would say this is maybe the first move to that idea .

With the top 6 almost out of sight now financially and player squad strengths , would a new era with leagues without the top 6 be more competitive like the Championship ?

Those fans not wanting to support or join the gravy train of the top 6 , may then look to support other local teams in their area .

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    None of this will make any difference whilst the obscene financial parasites aka Agents are operating the way they are.

Players need to start taking personal responsibility too, especially when ground and support staff are being made redundant. I'm unaware of Premier League players being made redundant, even though, professionally, they're doing no more each week than completing a televised training session. Home and away matches - totally meaningless.

Meanwhile the Premier League want PPV being played in massive, empty stadia.

Premier league clubs have been involved in £1bn of transfer deals this last close season yet there are some players who take a couple of weeks to amass the £500,000 that Macclesfield needed to stay afloat.

The whole of professional football stinks and the sooner it comes crashing down the better. Covid should be that catalyst because football will survive. Clubs will reform. Fans should be the primary shareholders and we shouldn't be aspiring to global football.

One final point on this. The proposals seem very similar to the kind of disproportionate power the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes have in F1.
    It must be quite a relief to you that we are having a Covid pandemic then, bearing in mind you think it could provide the catalyst to bring the whole of professional football down and you clearly think that would be a good thing. If that did happen that would most likely bring about the demise of the club you apparently support, which is a rather odd aim to have in my opinion. The reason there is so much money in professional football is because it is a good product and people want to watch it, whether it is live or on tv. I would suggest that you go and watch someone in the United Counties League where you would get an ample supply of no fans, no atmosphere, no money, no ambition, no cover, no pies, no teas or beer etc etc.

Looks as though big clubs have put this together as know can forfeit a year of money in order to make a lot more for the considerable.

They know a number of clubs will be so desperate for the cash will have to vote for it. Especially league 1 or 2 who have very little expectation of making it to the PL.

Of course they watch it for entertainment
    Do we know the same people? The amount of times 'I have a bet because it makes me enjoy the game'..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't actually know anybody who watches the Premier League for entertainment anymore, if betting was banned the audience in the UK would drop massively.
    I watch the Premier League for entertainment. Regularly. Most weekends, in fact. I know lots of other football fans who do likewise, including family, friends and colleagues. I don't know anybody who watches the Premier League for betting purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Do we know the same people? The amount of times 'I have a bet because it makes me enjoy the game'..
    even then they're watching it for entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I watch the Premier League for entertainment. Regularly. Most weekends, in fact. I know lots of other football fans who do likewise, including family, friends and colleagues. I don't know anybody who watches the Premier League for betting purposes only.
    I must confess, i only watch a game if i've had a punt on it. As soon as the bet is dead i log off. Nothing against Premier league football, i feel the same about most leagues.

however many million people watch match of the day aren't doing that to check their betting slip

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    It must be quite a relief to you that we are having a Covid pandemic then, bearing in mind you think it could provide the catalyst to bring the whole of professional football down and you clearly think that would be a good thing. If that did happen that would most likely bring about the demise of the club you apparently support, which is a rather odd aim to have in my opinion. The reason there is so much money in professional football is because it is a good product and people want to watch it, whether it is live or on tv. I would suggest that you go and watch someone in the United Counties League where you would get an ample supply of no fans, no atmosphere, no money, no ambition, no cover, no pies, no teas or beer etc etc.
    Wow! So much passive aggression.

To suggest I'm relieved about having a Covid pandemic is just plain silly, mean and in poor taste.

BTW there are fans and atmosphere, ambition, pies, tea and (sometimes) beer in the lower leagues (including the United Counties League)...not so much money though unless (and here's the novel bit) we stop lining the pockets of TV and betting companies.

But hey, have a pop at a fellow supporter and leave the FA, Premier League suits, FIFA, Agents etc. alone.

I love all football. I love Cardiff City. It's possible to do both (in fact, weirdly, I find it helps)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I must confess, i only watch a game if i've had a punt on it. As soon as the bet is dead i log off. Nothing against Premier league football, i feel the same about most leagues.
    Of the top 5 divisions, the Premier League is almost certainly the division I bet on least often (if you excuse the Sky Super 6, which I have £1 on each Saturday). I never bet on single matches anyway and the EPL games generally feature unattractive odds unless you fancy an upset. The Championship and League One are the divisions that feature most regularly in my accumulators.

I must admit to being thoroughly entertained by the games at Old Trafford & Villa Park the other Sunday, ironic that the two worst teams in the Premier League on current form (you’re only as good as your last game) seem to be leading the charge on this proposal.

however many million people watch match of the day aren't doing that to check their betting slip
    Indeed. There are some really odd theories about the millions of people in this country who enjoy watching the Premier League on TV. On the one hand, we're all plastics who aren't proper fans of the game. On the other, we're all gamblers who wouldn't watch it if we couldn't have a bet.

I thought we were just people who are interested in football and enjoy watching the game, but maybe that's a bit too simple.

Anyways back to reform , let the greedy 6 go , create a new product without them I'm sure we'd survive , up the City and live stadium football .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Anyways back to reform , let the greedy 6 go , create a new product without them I'm sure we'd survive , up the City and live stadium football .

I watch the premier League on TV less than I did a few years back, but still quite a lot and it is only ever for entertainment. I have never bet on football in my life, and the pleasure of watching top tier games is to appreciate the drama and the higher skills level, and to do it without giving half a toss who wins.

In a different way watching local non-league matches is also about enjoying a game (even if lower levels of skill and fitness) without caring much about the result.

Watching City is a totally different thing - a labour of love and compulsion. There is much greater stress and much less pleasure (unless we are four up in the last minute of injury time!). It is a mash up of hope and fear, joy and despair - all shared with a community of other addicts.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I've heard that argument a few times. I'd like the top 6 to leave and their breakaway league to fall flat on its face and then they come running back, but sadly it doesn't happen like that.
    if the top league ever became a closed shop, be that in the UK or European I think I would be done with football

Doing fantasy football makes me enjoy the premier league about 10 times more than I would without it

I fail to see how watching grossly overpaid blokes who fall over and dive at the slightest touch is entertainment

If city were ever to go up again I would like us to roll up our sleeves and take it to the lot of them like a bull in a China shop

The Premier league product , from what I have seen of it is corporate , dressed up nonsense

I couldn't give a toss about Liverpool v man united

I would rather talk to a Rochdale fan over a cup of tea and a bacon sarnie

Very good proposal, Call their bluff, more or less.

Its amazing how quickly you can drop something. When the champions league moved from Sky/ITV to BT sport it took a few week to get used to but very quickly i dropped any interest on Euro football. Yes, you can watch it on a dodgy stream but I just couldn't be bothered.
    Under Covid restrictions I have lost interest in televised football, if the powers do not believe crowds are part of the excitement then they are in for a rude shock.
    If i had to choose between my Sky premier league subscription and a city season ticket then bye bye sky.

I can see this happening with amendments. The concept of premier 2 with 20 teams vying for the chance of promotion give the premier league a chance to have a degree of control with all clubs contacts. For instance its not beyond the realms of possibility that all premier league contracts have a xx% reduction if you are relegate to premier 2 as part of the contract. The big 6 wouldn't give a rats arse as it will never happen and it would help the other 14 as they all would have the same regulation so it stop them competing with one another by not have relegation clauses. You could also introduce a wage hike % for the promoted sides as a stop gap until their next contract.
    If you take away the top 6 power grab it does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Wow! So much passive aggression.

To suggest I'm relieved about having a Covid pandemic is just plain silly, mean and in poor taste.

BTW there are fans and atmosphere, ambition, pies, tea and (sometimes) beer in the lower leagues (including the United Counties League)...not so much money though unless (and here's the novel bit) we stop lining the pockets of TV and betting companies.

But hey, have a pop at a fellow supporter and leave the FA, Premier League suits, FIFA, Agents etc. alone.

I love all football. I love Cardiff City. It's possible to do both (in fact, weirdly, I find it helps)
    Well said. I still love City but have also watched and been involved at non league level which I find refreshing and enjoyable.
    I also agree with Sludge's views on the Premier League. I rarely watch MotD now and prefer EFL on Quest. Sgorio on a Monday evening is regular viewing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Indeed. There are some really odd theories about the millions of people in this country who enjoy watching the Premier League on TV. On the one hand, we're all plastics who aren't proper fans of the game. On the other, we're all gamblers who wouldn't watch it if we couldn't have a bet.

I thought we were just people who are interested in football and enjoy watching the game, but maybe that's a bit too simple.
    No your last paragraph is correct. The game is now money orientated and superb for the armchair/ plastic fan.

Betting is a contributing factor though. Theres big advertising which benefits the bookies and Sky TV and the money men.

But of course bet sensibly. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Under Covid restrictions I have lost interest in televised football, if the powers do not believe crowds are part of the excitement then they are in for a rude shock.
    If i had to choose between my Sky premier league subscription and a city season ticket then bye bye sky.
    Exactly how I feel. It was a no brainer to renew my season ticket even though I knew it'd be unlikely to be used this season. I'll do the same next season to try and support the club as best I can but watching on TV just makes me miss being there even more (especially when I see my empty seat). Too depressing.