+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Premier League Reform

Re: Premier League Reform

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Well said. I still love City but have also watched and been involved at non league level which I find refreshing and enjoyable.
    I also agree with Sludge's views on the Premier League. I rarely watch MotD now and prefer EFL on Quest. Sgorio on a Monday evening is regular viewing as well.
    I agree, going to lower league matches is so rewarding. It keeps me grounded and makes me appreciate Cardiff City more and what we have. I'd love to have gone to watch Merthyr Town play in the Southern League Premier South but they've mothballed for a season because they weren't allowed crowds whilst Cinderford Town - less than 50 miles away and in the same league - were allowed up to 400 fans. We'd be in the same boat for home matches if they let fans back in the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

The one point that a lot of commenters seems to have missed, is the involvement of Americans in all of this. If you look at any major team sport in the US, they are all run on a franchise basis. They are all closed-shops - no promotion or relegation - you don't get in unless you're prepared to pay an awful lot of money to join.
    I once read that Americans didn't like football (ie. soccer) because they couldn't understand how any game could end in a draw. They also don't understand how an expensive club can be relegated out of it's 'own' league. They just don't get it.
    But to me, if there was no League pyramid, if the top flight was indeed a closed-shop, then there would be no point. It's not just every Championship club that are trying to get into the Premier, it's every single club anywhere. Even a non-League side is just ten good seasons away from a place at the top table. And that's why it's still going so well, after all this time. Take it away, and the whole thing will collapse within a decade, no matter how much bribery money the stupidly rich but still scheming top six throw at them.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    But to me, if there was no League pyramid, if the top flight was indeed a closed-shop, then there would be no point. It's not just every Championship club that are trying to get into the Premier, it's every single club anywhere. Even a non-League side is just ten good seasons away from a place at the top table. And that's why it's still going so well, after all this time. Take it away, and the whole thing will collapse within a decade, no matter how much bribery money the stupidly rich but still scheming top six throw at them.
    So this!

They've talked about the current proposals being good for the next 25 years. Jeez, I'll likely be dead by then. So what's the point of football with no hope? Though, ironically, that's what they say kills us!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ct-big-picture

Club comment on the proposals, seems like a group (EFL) press release to me rather than a comment from those within the club

Quote Originally Posted by Punxsutawney Phil View Post
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ct-big-picture

Club comment on the proposals, seems like a group (EFL) press release to me rather than a comment from those within the club
    There's nothing else on the table and the EFL clubs are in serious trouble. I absolutely hate it and it's very depressing.

Very disappointing from the club

Very poor statement from the club.

Can imagine most FL clubs will go for this as the people making the decision on whether to do so will be the ones who get instant access to the ££. Short term gain on a personal level, sell up and get out before the consequences come to fruition.

Not sure where FL clubs backing it comes in though, as if the PL doesn't get approval from 14 members then it won't get pushed through anyway I guess? Clubs like Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley will surely oppose it. If reports are to be believed Southampton and West Ham also are against it despite being in the top 9, though I'm sure money will eventually talk.

Clubs should be balloting all of this season’s season ticket holders. We are the lifeblood and owners of the game, people who have put money into their clubs most probably knowing that they won’t be entering a ground anytime soon. That’s commitment that deserves a voice, owners could be making a decision that suits them and then f*cking off with the spoils.

They should have ended their statement after positive point 1. To suggest they care about point 2 (supporter interests) considering the lack of engagement with the supporters club,l and point 6 (the development of womens football) is a bit unseemly.

The more I read, the less I like.
    It seems like the EFL clubs are rolling over on this, when it might be different if it was an opening negotiation.
    It looks horribly like a stinky fait accompli and the changes would surely be irreversible once the balance of power transfers to the big 6.
    Has the club sanctioned the statement to get Harry Wilson on loan?

Shocked at the response by the EFL clubs

There's a Futurama episode in which Christmas dinner is ruined and Fry, beginning a speech about principles, says, "It's not the food that matters", prompting our starving robot orphan, Tinny Tim, to say quietly, "I'm so hungry." To me, Fry is most journalists; Tim is most clubs.

https://twitter.com/thehuwdavies/sta...46822352711683
    Wonder what Macclesfield or Bury fans think given that theirs sides were, probably, never going to get to premier league anyway and lack of financial help put them out of business?

For me, the issues are the voting rights and making the premier league an 18 club competition.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wonder what Macclesfield or Bury fans think given that theirs sides were, probably, never going to get to premier league anyway and lack of financial help put them out of business?

For me, the issues are the voting rights and making the premier league an 18 club competition.
    I'm ok with the 18 team premier league, it's the power grab that I'm most concerned about

'Manchester United and Liverpool forced into Project Big Picture climbdown'

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ct-big-picture

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Shocked at the response by the EFL clubs
    There is a very real chance many clubs can and will go under. For the clubs that have no chance of getting to the PL this was a no brainer. I absolutely hate it and it is pure greed but these clubs are desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    'Manchester United and Liverpool forced into Project Big Picture climbdown'

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ct-big-picture
    That's good, but I'm not impressed by the size of the help package for League One and Two clubs - it's less than half of what the team which finishes bottom of the Premier League this season will get isn't it?

The Club has sold their soul for, 'a mess of pottage.'

StT.
    <><