+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about keeping two cars in a household for the foreseeable future....

Thoughts about keeping two cars in a household for the foreseeable future....

Mrs Cyclops and I each have cars, but our mileage these days is about a quarter of what we used to clock when we were working before the virus struck.
    In November, the cars are taxed, insured, MOT'd and serviced - an expensive month! I'm seriously thinking of only using one car, which we would share, and storing the other on the driveway until some semblance of normal life returns.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else in a similar position?

Re: Thoughts about keeping two cars in a household for the foreseeable future....

I do wonder if there’s going to be a crash on the car market shortly

Re: Thoughts about keeping two cars in a household for the foreseeable future....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Mrs Cyclops and I each have cars, but our mileage these days is about a quarter of what we used to clock when we were working before the virus struck.
    In November, the cars are taxed, insured, MOT'd and serviced - an expensive month! I'm seriously thinking of only using one car, which we would share, and storing the other on the driveway until some semblance of normal life returns.
    I've only got one car and I've even thought of getting rid of that. I live in Cardiff and work in Newport, if I didn't want to go back to the office, as working from home sucks the life out of my, I'd get rid of it for sure.

Definitely a whole different landscape ahead for many business sectors.

Would the savings be that much

You can SORN the car, so save on today tax, you can let the MOT lapse, so another saving

You would have to insure the car if parked on the drive incase someone stole it, though if you were prepared to risk it, you wouldnt need to insure it either, thus another saving

In March one of ours was due for MOT, insurance and tax. We SORNed it and haven’t missed it at all. Things might change now as my wife is due with our second child but I’ve considered getting rid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    In March one of ours was due for MOT, insurance and tax. We SORNed it and haven’t missed it at all. Things might change now as my wife is due with our second child but I’ve considered getting rid.
    Bit harsh after she's carried two of your children IMO

As other people have said SORN one of the cars for 6 months to see if you can live without but thereby saving on upcoming road tax, MOT and servicing costs. If you cope without it then you can sell the second car.

(I have a track car which I SORN for 6 months every year as I only use it occasionally during the summer months and then keep in our garage: it is a very easy process that takes less than 5 minutes online)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bit harsh after she's carried two of your children IMO
    Can you SORN a wife?

Get an e-scooter

The car's travelled 35 miles since March (lockdown).

Seriously thinking of getting rid of it.

Anyone want a 7 seater Vauxhall (god knows how old it is, 14 years I think)

Can you SORN a wife?
    if they're becoming expensive

Got rid of my wife's car in the summer, lost a little bit of money but there was no point in keeping it. I've gone from doing 26k a year just for work to doing absolutely nothing and it looks like all my meetings will continue via zoom/Skype for a long time to come. Saving in the long run.
    Plus I live in Canton so parking is a lot easier with one car!

I would force the issue and sell it, you can always buy another next year if the World comes back to any normality.

Not so easy when you live out In the sticks, like me.
    I've got 3 cars. 🤒

Me and my wife decided about 4 years ago to drop from 2 cars to 1, it just saved so much money and rarely effects us but then we both worked in Cardiff centre (pre covid) so we could mostly commute together. There were times one would work late or was meeting friends but it's easier enough for us to get the train.
    It's worked well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Me and my wife decided about 4 years ago to drop from 2 cars to 1, it just saved so much money and rarely effects us but then we both worked in Cardiff centre (pre covid) so we could mostly commute together. There were times one would work late or was meeting friends but it's easier enough for us to get the train.
    It's worked well for us.
    Yeah me and the ex wife went down to one car when she went on maternity leave for a year. saves a fortune if you can do it.

Hopefully this period in history will mark a change in employers attitudes to repmote working and many of us can spend less of our lives in cars, burning fossil fuels etc

It's only the first step but when my insurance was up last week I removed the need for a courtesy car if mine was off the road.
    My missus retired earlier this year, and i doubt if she's done more than 300 miles since March, so there's a 2 year old car sat on the drive doing sweet FA.

Since March I've filled the car up at the pumps three times; I normally filled up every 3 weeks. I've always gone for a large saloon car but seriously thinking of downsizing to a mini, focus type car, even contemplating an electric one.

Can you SORN a wife?
    It's advisable if her big end has gone.

We dropped from 2 to 1 a few years back. As I get public transport to work (usually) we've found it works fine and we've saved quite a bit on running costs. We live near a town centre mind so can just walk into town for emergency provisions if needs be and the car is not around. Perhaps needs a bit more planning if you live in the sticks.

I’d put it up for sale for the average of what you’d easily buy another for. If it sells then keep the money safe and if it doesn’t you’ve had a bit of time to think. Get what people saying about putting it on SORN but things go wrong more with cars left standing about

Should we tax 2 , 3 of 4 car householders more to save the planet ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Would the savings be that much

You can SORN the car, so save on today tax, you can let the MOT lapse, so another saving

You would have to insure the car if parked on the drive incase someone stole it, though if you were prepared to risk it, you wouldnt need to insure it either, thus another saving
    Could you not remove a battery or even a tyre to avoid it getting nicked?

I got rid on one of my two cars juts four weeks ago. Since March I had done 1400 miles, I would normally have done about 6000 in that time. And I was paying a PCP contract and insurance/tax on top. So a big saving, we really didn't need two cars to be used at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Could you not remove a battery or even a tyre to avoid it getting nicked?

When the Vehicle is SORN it doesnt need to be insured , in the classic car world they do a " laid up insurance "

I guess it depends on the value of the vehicle, if its not the highest value, its got to be worth the risk, i know i would park my C1 on my drive and risk it, as it is only worth £1500, but i certainly wouldnt leave my VW splitty on the drive uninsured ( though it spent a few years in my garage uninsured a few years back )