+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Cancel Culture A Threat To Comedy

Is Cancel Culture A Threat To Comedy

""Dawn French has said she is concerned that cancel culture means modern comedians might not be able to do edgy comedy.

The French and Saunders star, 63, fears comedy could lost one of its 'most interesting,' dynamics if the current climate puts an end to risky stand-up routines.

It caused the Vicar of Dibley actress to say she's glad she's not starting out her career now.""

Re: Is Cancel Culture A Threat To Comedy

I think modern comedians are threat to comedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Are policemen looking younger to you?

Not really.

It’s the same kind of argument about pop killing the music industry. It’s cyclical.

Edgy Comedy is always going to offend someone, She is right, it might not be worth the risk to a up and coming comedian

then again, might give them the publicity to break through

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Are policemen looking younger to you?
    No, they still look like policeman to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Edgy Comedy is always going to offend someone, She is right, it might not be worth the risk to a up and coming comedian

then again, might give them the publicity to break through
    There's a suggestion that the country is full of snowflakes who are forever being offended. That suggestion is a load of bollocks.

They need to find some decent material.

No. I was going to write why but it is painfully clear it isn't.

It could be argued the government's requests of the Beeb that more right wing comedy be included would be a threat to comedy.

I don't think her point is about left or right politics its about being risky in you deliverance without worrying who you upset, like the greats such as Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce ,Billy Connolly or Dave Allen, comedy has always succeeded by being edgy , close to the knuckle, sometimes personal, rude or unforgiving ,without those elements surely it becomes a lost art .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I don't think her point is about left or right politics its about being risky in you deliverance without worrying who you upset, like the greats such as Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce ,Billy Connolly or Dave Allen, comedy has always succeeded by being edgy , close to the knuckle, sometimes personal, rude or unforgiving ,without those elements surely it becomes a lost art .
    Is that being lost? From your own experience?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There are still many many edgy comedians. More so now than there probably was in Bill Hicks days - hence why he was a bit of a pioneer

It's not a threat to comedy. It's probably a threat to some comedians. Bill Burr got some stick this week. He's not getting cancelled though. But Louis CK is done.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's not a threat to comedy. It's probably a threat to some comedians. Bill Burr got some stick this week. He's not getting cancelled though. But Louis CK is done.
    He started his monologue saying that he will probably get cancelled.
    😁

Louis CK got pulled for what he did not what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Agreed, tried to watch a few stand up shows on the weekend and it was cringe worthy. Gervais is the only comedian I've been able to watch from start to finish recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There's a suggestion that the country is full of snowflakes who are forever being offended. That suggestion is a load of bollocks.
    Exactly, a few racists get told off and write about it in their national newspaper column or talk about it on their prime time radio slot how they've been cancelled, when quite obviously they haven't.

I tell you what cancel culture is, being a catholic or protestant in belfast or glasgow and not being able to work in certain shipyards, or blowing the whistle on banks misbehavior and never working again, campaigning for unions and health and safety in the building trade and being blacklisted.

A few middleclass people trying to stay relevant can f off.

Comedians will always talk about their life experiences, so older people will tend not to associate with the younger comedians because their experiences are so different.

Some people talk about the BBC, but the BBC show next to no live comedy, and only show the occasional panel show, or once or twice a year show a big named performers stand up show. I mean the BBC best biggest offering at the moment is Mrs Browns Boy’s ffs.

The Comedy circuit is as big as it has ever been so if you seem to not like anything out there you are not looking hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    He still got canceled. And now Louis CK is no longer working as a comedian.

He still got canceled. And now Louis CK is no longer working as a comedian.
    He was still releasing specials on April this year. So he is still releasing comedy.

His actions haven't cancelled him it has made him less attractive to employ or to have in your venue.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    He was still releasing specials on April this year. So he is still releasing comedy.

His actions haven't cancelled him it has made him less attractive to employ or to have in your venue.
    Exactly right.

I'm subscribed to his email newsletters because I purchased one of his stand-ups about 5 years ago (and I'm too lazy to unsubscribe) - he's still peddling his specials and live tours.

Just had a look at the last one I received and it's from July 2nd where he's advertising an "audio series" that he's done. If this is him being cancelled then it appears that nobody has told him.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Exactly, a few racists get told off and write about it in their national newspaper column or talk about it on their prime time radio slot how they've been cancelled, when quite obviously they haven't.

I tell you what cancel culture is, being a catholic or protestant in belfast or glasgow and not being able to work in certain shipyards, or blowing the whistle on banks misbehavior and never working again, campaigning for unions and health and safety in the building trade and being blacklisted.

A few middleclass people trying to stay relevant can f off.
    Exactly. Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Exactly right.

I'm subscribed to his email newsletters because I purchased one of his stand-ups about 5 years ago (and I'm too lazy to unsubscribe) - he's still peddling his specials and live tours.

Just had a look at the last one I received and it's from July 2nd where he's advertising an "audio series" that he's done. If this is him being cancelled then it appears that nobody has told him.
    I watched his special earlier this year.

It did seem a bit of a dip, but I think that happens with a lot of comics, same topics, same style etc.

I personally think he was on the wain anyway

Did like Louis CK before that thing came out mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Indeed his comedy wasn't his downfall