+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Cancel Culture A Threat To Comedy

Re: Is Cancel Culture A Threat To Comedy

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Agreed, tried to watch a few stand up shows on the weekend and it was cringe worthy. Gervais is the only comedian I've been able to watch from start to finish recently.
    Think that is the point of French's comment , I don't know many edgy comedians these days other than Gervais or Stewart Lee ,a lot have had their wings clipped or cleaned up their content to avoid outrage

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think that is the point of French's comment , I don't know many edgy comedians these days other than Gervais or Stewart Lee ,a lot have had their wings clipped or cleaned up their content to avoid outrage
    There’s plenty.

Dave Chappelle for me the best around at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    There’s plenty.

Dave Chappelle for me the best around at the moment
    I'll give him a listen ,there is some very bland awful ones about like McIntyre, Jimmy /Alan Carr,Russell Howard,Jason Manford, John Bishop, and dreadful Rhod Glibert whose voice makes be cringe in agony .

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He still got canceled. And now Louis CK is no longer working as a comedian.
    According to Wiki, he's still pretty active with entries from 01/2020,04/2020, 07/2020 and 08/2020.

Regarding his special in April of this year, "Amy Schumer, admitted she watched the special saying, "I laughed at a lot of it. But it's hard to not think of what he has done, what he has and hasn't learned, but I definitely laughed.""

Isn't that what "cancelling" essentially boils down to? Some people feel conflicted about supporting your work and chose not to or chose to do so in a different, perhaps lesser, way that before. I'm sure Roy Chubby Brown has been cancelled several times but he's made a lot of money playing to larger crowds than many, just crowds with less mixed views, but we are unlikely to see some, not all, of the characters from Little Britain on TV again.

I don't understand how someone can want to stop something, simply because they don't like it, or don't agree with it. How is that democratic? Yes, I appreciate that times have changed, and quite rightly, racism and sexist are no longer acceptable. But the majority of these 'cancel culture' non-events are not down to racism or sexism - they're down to a small group of people shaming organisers into blocking the appearance of someone, usually that a much larger group of people are quite keen to see.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Exactly, a few racists get told off and write about it in their national newspaper column or talk about it on their prime time radio slot how they've been cancelled, when quite obviously they haven't.

I tell you what cancel culture is, being a catholic or protestant in belfast or glasgow and not being able to work in certain shipyards, or blowing the whistle on banks misbehavior and never working again, campaigning for unions and health and safety in the building trade and being blacklisted.

A few middleclass people trying to stay relevant can f off.
    Brilliant post.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Potentially mate yeah but I think that'll be the excuse the shit comedians use ha ha. It is possible to be funny without being offensive but I get her point