+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Diversity in the workplace

Diversity in the workplace

What’s everyone’s take is on current diversity in the workplace? It’s been heavily pushed by big companies, public sectors and right the way down the the SME’s. The company I work for has a massive drive for diversity and rightly so, people should be made to feel comfortable in a workplace regardless of their race, gender, sexuality etc. Obviously equality of opportunity is essential and should be encouraged. There is the view that a diverse workforce can bring a different mindset and way of working but I don’t see how that would impact the vast majority of jobs but they still should be able to get those jobs if they are the right candidate.

However lately, I’ve seen so many criticisms of boards etc not being diverse enough. Just seen another here, quite a lot of criticism because of them being Middle Aged middle class white males.

https://twitter.com/town__planner/st...097098752?s=21

As a white male, I know statistically we do get more opportunities around the world but it would be a worry that positive discrimination in future could stop me getting a job even if it was the most suited candidate.

Is it me? Is it good to have diversity for diversities sake? And is it really that bad where I/we are oblivious to people’s subconscious bias? It’s tricky as I don’t see the issues say to day.

Re: Diversity in the workplace

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    And is it really that bad where I/we are oblivious to people’s subconscious bias? It’s tricky as I don’t see the issues say to day.
    I think this is it. People are drawn subconsciously towards those who are similar to them. There's rarely one clear standout perfect person for a job, and if there's a few who could get it of different ethnicities etc, then the one closest to the panel's (if they are all the same) is more likely to get it. Then it continues for the next recruitment in a few years as the ethnicity of the team is still the same. Sometimes people have to be almost forced into diversifying.

I'm a white male who has lived in Asia and been turned out at the first stage of an interview process for this (and they are a lot more honest about telling you that straight, believe me) so I've seen the other side, and it's frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think this is it. People are drawn subconsciously towards those who are similar to them. There's rarely one clear standout perfect person for a job, and if there's a few who could get it of different ethnicities etc, then the one closest to the panel's (if they are all the same) is more likely to get it. Then it continues for the next recruitment in a few years as the ethnicity of the team is still the same. Sometimes people have to be almost forced into diversifying.

I'm a white male who has lived in Asia and been turned out at the first stage of an interview process for this (and they are a lot more honest about telling you that straight, believe me) so I've seen the other side, and it's frustrating.
    I can understand your frustration but other people who have been made aware of this might say, "Well if they're not fair with their recruitment policy why should we be."

Personally I believe that if any candidate is deemed to be better than the rest, regardless of race, colour or creed they should get the job. Any diversification has to be seen as fair, otherwise it's likely to foster resentment and yes racism further down the line.

A diverse workforce as you say has many positives, people from different backgrounds approach problems in a different way and see things that others simply wouldn't.

It is therefore necessary, particularly in certain industries and organisations.

Should you go out of your way to employ someone far less skilled just to hit that diversity target, obviously not, but that would rarely be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    A diverse workforce as you say has many positives, people from different backgrounds approach problems in a different way and see things that others simply wouldn't.

It is therefore necessary, particularly in certain industries and organisations.

Should you go out of your way to employ someone far less skilled just to hit that diversity target, obviously not, but that would rarely be the case.
    Exactly, it's not about putting someone crap in the job to fill a quota. That's obviously not right. And I'd say it's a rare occasion when there is someone streets ahead of everyone else for a job. It's the more usual cases where one of a number could be suitable, but of course only one can be chosen, that the subconscious bias comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I can understand your frustration but other people who have been made aware of this might say, "Well if they're not fair with their recruitment policy why should we be."

Personally I believe that if any candidate is deemed to be better than the rest, regardless of race, colour or creed they should get the job. Any diversification has to be seen as fair, otherwise it's likely to foster resentment and yes racism further down the line.
    Do you mean that recruitment in, say, Splott, is influenced by what happens in Asia?!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Do you mean that recruitment in, say, Splott, is influenced by what happens in Asia?!
    No, obviously not ! But, should the recruitment policy you have encountered in Asia be replicated widely in other foreign lands and thus became common knowledge in this country then those people so inclined could use it as a tool to counter diversity proposals in the UK. In effect, what's sauce for the goose etc etc.

My office is to small for one of their routines but the lad with the big hair can do a breakdance for us if he likes. Does he know where Porth is?

He can make it about BLM as well - I'm easy

I'll get my coat

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    No, obviously not ! But, should the recruitment policy you have encountered in Asia be replicated widely in other foreign lands and thus became common knowledge in this country then those people so inclined could use it as a tool to counter diversity proposals in the UK. In effect, what's sauce for the goose etc etc.
    Then it would be nice to rise above it rather than all descending to the lowest common denominator.