only a matter of time

Re: Scottish independence

let them go

Hopefully Wales next

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Hopefully Wales next
    let's wait and see Scotland flounder on the rocks, high end taxation , without Westminster cash,

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    let's wait and see Scotland flounder on the rocks, high end taxation , without Westminster cash,
    Project McFear or Project McIrony?

Ha ha, that's a good one LOM, what Westminster cash? That's kept for all the Tories' buddies.

Scotland spends £15bn more than it gathers in taxes , Westminster makes up the difference , if it goes it alone to just maintain their current status they would have to find that shortfall .

In addition extra funds already allocated since the start of the Covid are £7.2bn. That takes Holyrood's total spend this year above £50bn.

Lots more than that £7.2bn has been spent directly by the Treasury in Scotland, through the furlough scheme, business loans paid through banks, and an uplift in Universal Credit.

Yeh crack on bail out Scotland.

I’d get the point of Scottish independence now, in terms of taking back up membership of the EU.
    Don’t see much point for wales though. We voted for the impending chaos

Scotland spends £15bn more than it gathers in taxes , Westminster makes up the difference , if it goes it alone to just maintain their current status they would have to find that shortfall .

In addition extra funds already allocated since the start of the Covid are £7.2bn. That takes Holyrood's total spend this year above £50bn.

Lots more than that £7.2bn has been spent directly by the Treasury in Scotland, through the furlough scheme, business loans paid through banks, and an uplift in Universal Credit.

Why would they care about going it alone making them poorer? It's all about 'taking back control' surely...

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Hopefully Wales next
    Inject it into my veins.

I've never been in the slightest bit interested in Welsh independence, in fact I've always opposed it, and for that matter Scottish independence too. I was (and still am) strongly opposed to devolution. I don't have any particularly strong allegiance to Welsh culture and I've always been in favour of a tightly knit UK. I even wanted a UK team in sporting competitions!

However, after all that's happened over the past 4 years and with the culmination of this epic tragedy of a government which has befallen us I would vote now for independence in a heartbeat. Both Drakeford and Sturgeon have shown themselves to be far more adept at governing than the omnishambles in Downing Street and if we can make attempts to renew our membership of the EU then that's a winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Project McFear or Project McIrony?
    I've never really understood why people think "Wales is too poor to be independent" is a particularly good argument for unionism, surely that just illustrates the lack of economic development by Westminster in the periphery and provides more evidence to the argument that Westminster doesn't care about Wales & Scotland?

I always find this common argument flawed in that it doesn't include a lot of companies financials for Wales and Scotland directly as they report from their HQ's, which are nearly always in London. Also including that an independent Scotland and Wales would have different spending priorities than Westminster does, as smaller nations without the falsehood of being 'greater than everyone else' as Westminster always points out, expenditure such as e.g trident, HS2 and high military would never be needed.

Finally something I always wonder, if Wales and Scotland are so poor, insignificant and a drain on the English taxpayers, why hasn't England gone it alone in the past 500 years? Why subsidise Wales if there is no aspect of us ever being able to support ourselves?

let them go
    Can we go too?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    Can we go too?
    If we go too will we be able to buy essential goods in the next few decades .

If we go too will we be able to buy essential goods in the next few decades .
    I spend a lot of time in Malta and Ireland, both small nations in the EU. Never had issues obtaining essential goods in either.