+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How would you reform football

How would you reform football

Now that Project Big Picture in its current guise is dead how would you reform football.

I don't have an issue with the Premier league dropping in size to 18. Should the EFL absorb the two clubs or should the change ripple down the pyramid. I'm not sure on that one.

Prize money should be equal not based on league position. Clubs should get richer based on supporter income and owner input only not league placing, the current system is rigged enough with Champions League money.

Voting rights in the premier league, as they should in any league, should be equal. 14 votes of approval seems a logical threshold for change.

Clubs in Europe shouldn't be omitted from the EFL cup.

The academy system should be redesigned and a reserve league reintroduced so young players get experience playing against seasoned professionals.

The number of young players a team can horde should be looked at.

Loan fees should be scrapped. The compensation of increased experience should be compensation enough.

Agent fees should be capped and paid for out of the players salary not by clubs.

A wage cap should be introduced to ensure football is sustainable.

Re: How would you reform football

Just completely copy the German model.

I'd scrap accadamies and invest money into school footballs. Youth football is dominated by school system and then there is a draft like they have in america. Where draft picks are designated based on league position. Teams currently have to help fund the scheme with government. Teams can negotiate draft picks so means smaller clubs will get revenue from those who can afford it.

Cap the leagues at 108 with no relegation out of the league
    20 - 1 pl
    22 - 2
    22 - 3
    22 & 22 - 4( North and South)
    4 teams relegated from every league and promoted

Massively reduce the gap between TV money between each leagues.

Liverpool got 174.6
    Norwich got. 94.5 and the season before in championship got 7.1

I would still reward those performing better but not to that extent.

Every club must record a profit or face 10 point deduction. With profit sharing suggested from club profits.

Scrap efl Cup. Keep league Cup for those not in Europe.

Squads limited to 25 players over 21. If not in the squad player can leave for another club. Stop massive hoarding of players and loan fees.

Give all the money and make the best players play for Cardiff

On a serious note, I agree that there should be a draft system so that it evens out the teams’ prospects, which I have seen happen in the NBA. I would say have a cap on players in the team that are transferred over a certain amount or earning over a certain amount (excluding those who were rookies at the club or from the club’s city).

Issue is that it would need to be a continental measure otherwise players may find it easier to transfer to Continental clubs or Continental clubs may have more better players. If so then it can reduce the competitiveness of clubs in the Premier League that play in UEFA competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    The German model is superb in many ways but one team is utterly dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Totally agree. Member owners. Members who elect officials. We’ve got a great opportunity to sort it out now. I hope we take it but I’m not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I'd scrap accadamies and invest money into school footballs. Youth football is dominated by school system and then there is a draft like they have in america. Where draft picks are designated based on league position. Teams currently have to help fund the scheme with government. Teams can negotiate draft picks so means smaller clubs will get revenue from those who can afford it.

20 - 1 pl
    22 - 2
    22 - 3

Liverpool got 174.6

Every club must record a profit or face 10 point deduction. With profit sharing suggested from club profits.

Squads limited to 25 players over 21. If not in the squad player can leave for another club. Stop massive hoarding of players and loan fees.
    I've had a few too many to understand all the above but I'd love to see a draft.

I'd rather see a different team win each year than the same three. Let it be based on coaching and skill rather than money.

I would be happy with it all being scrapped and a new franchise system in place.

the PL have to look at the FFP rules, it was meant to level the playing field, it hasnt

Money has to trickle down the leagues, i dont mean making it rain weekly, but money needs to filter down

Grassroot teams need taking care of, it is crazy the money in the PL and grassroot football having nothing

Cap wages by division.
    Redistribute wealth by 30 % from top tier down.
    Ban the purchase of players under 18 to Premiership
    Create under 18's mirror League .
    Allow fan representation onto clubs boards .
    Bring back cheap standing zones.
    Allow 20% games onto Terrestrial television all leagues.
    Ban single ownership .
    Cap agents .
    Introduce stricter due dilllegence checks on all owners and agents.
    Ensure players pay full tax on their wages,including raising image right taxes from 19%*to the 45% income rate

Every year the league winners across europe swap around into another league system. Liverpool get sent off to the Greek league, Premier League gets Club Brugge, and so on.

Lots of good suggestions.

I see the club have released a statement backing some of the principles and by omission being against others. I see they appear to be against parachute payments despite being a beneficiary of these in many year which was interesting.

Some good suggestions, but some wildly ridiculous ones as well, often on the same thread. The only thing that is needed is a simple method of sharing wealth, down through the Divisions. But... clubs will still live beyond their means. Give them an extra £2m a year, and they'll still over spend.

I think you have to remove the greed/lust for profit from football before it gets back to an affordable spectator sport/hobby/pastime or whatever label it is that draws people to it. Therefore in answer to the OP
    1. Salary cap on players
    2. Fair distribution of the wealth through the leagues generated from TV rights etc.

Spedger

Allow short players to wear stilts.

Goalkeepers to wear clown costumes and can save balls down their trousers.

International

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post

20 - 1 pl
    22 - 2
    22 - 3

Liverpool got 174.6

That would be the end of most clubs straight away. The only thing that keeps us afloat if VT's wallet, and we are one of the lucky clubs.
    Remember the tongue -in cheek comment "How do you become a millionaire? Answer, start as a billionaire and buy a football club

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That would be the end of most clubs straight away. The only thing that keeps us afloat if VT's wallet, and we are one of the lucky clubs.
    Remember the tongue -in cheek comment "How do you become a millionaire? Answer, start as a billionaire and buy a football club
    If they all had to comply with it, players wages would be the first thing to drop, which would be no bad thing. Clubs would be forced to live within their means. The only reason they don't is because they can get away with it. If clubs had to comply, they would. Rapidly. A profit doesn't need to include club debt. You can record a profit and have debt.

Ensure that any tv deal for Premier TV rights includes payments to the EFL. How practical that is I have no idea, but a lot of the financial troubles the EFL has stem from the disastrous ITV Digital deal many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Ensure that any tv deal for Premier TV rights includes payments to the EFL. How practical that is I have no idea, but a lot of the financial troubles the EFL has stem from the disastrous ITV Digital deal many years ago.
    ITV Digital collapsed in 2002. While it certainly had a negative effect at the time, it can no longer be blamed now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    ITV Digital collapsed in 2002. While it certainly had a negative effect at the time, it can no longer be blamed now.
    Maybe not, but many clubs overspent based on what money they were due to get over the 3 years and 16 of them went into administration. Since then, clubs have continued to over spend in an attempt to chase the huge tv and prize money the Premier league offers.

I would hold the women's world cup at the same time as the mens, in the same country.

Do away with parachute payments, but make it mandatory for every player to have a relegation wage reduction clause of minimum 50%

Use the parachute money to try to achieve a fairer distribution of wealth throughout the leagues

As a trial, do away with points for wins and draws and decide the league table on goal difference only.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I can get on board with getting rid of Bristol and Birmingham but can we at least keep Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can get on board with getting rid of Bristol and Birmingham but can we at least keep Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I blame the Microsoft paper clip.

Mandatory 50+1 fan ownership rule like in Germany.

Tax all transfer fees at least 50% and redistribute the money to lower division clubs on the proviso that it's ringfenced for academy spending. A bigger chunk goes to teams that helped develop player involved in the transfer (this already sort of happens with FIFA's solidarity payments but it's a derisory amount)

Break up the Champions League and other European competitions so they go back to straight knock out like the old European Cup. That would help stop the accumulation of wealth and power by a tiny minority of 'elite' clubs.