+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chromebooks

chromebooks

anyone use these and could give me a few tips please?

Re: chromebooks

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    I love them. Not really sure what you need to know?

I may hijack this.... Where are they different to a laptop? Can you still install some programs or are they similar to a phone where you install apps?
    Can you plug an external hard drive in and access all file types (pictures, music, pdfs etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    I may hijack this.... Where are they different to a laptop? Can you still install some programs or are they similar to a phone where you install apps?
    Can you plug an external hard drive in and access all file types (pictures, music, pdfs etc)?
    yes apps, the chrome store has specific to the chromebook, but todays chromebook can access the " google play store "
    i find we can do everything we want on a CB

Yes you can plug in USB, i use 32gig USB sticks for all my stuff and it works well, so i guess a USB HD would be the same

The difference me is start up time, its quick, battery life is great, no virus's, its a first class net machine

I am happy with my Samsung galaxy tab a

But I have been thinking of a chrome oak for some time

What are the advantages over a tablet ?

And which basic model would you suggest for someone who is extremely thick when it comes to technology ?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yes apps, the chrome store has specific to the chromebook, but todays chromebook can access the " google play store "
    i find we can do everything we want on a CB

Yes you can plug in USB, i use 32gig USB sticks for all my stuff and it works well, so i guess a USB HD would be the same

The difference me is start up time, its quick, battery life is great, no virus's, its a first class net machine
    Cheers, really helps. So I guess if you just want a computer for a bit of Web based stuff, a little word processing maybe and accessing your pictures and music backups a chrome book is the way to go.... But if you need to do a lot of spreadsheets, edit videos and play games with high graphics then a higher performance laptop is what you need?

A Chromebook is fantastic for surfing the web; they are fast and there is no need for cumbersome updates as in Windows 10 or anti virus software. The only downside is that printing with a chromebook has its difficulties. I tend to e mail stuff to my laptop and print from that but there are easier ways but the solutions are beyond my technical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    Cheers, really helps. So I guess if you just want a computer for a bit of Web based stuff, a little word processing maybe and accessing your pictures and music backups a chrome book is the way to go.... But if you need to do a lot of spreadsheets, edit videos and play games with high graphics then a higher performance laptop is what you need?
    spreadsheets are ok on the CB

but yes the other, games and edit videos will need a higher end PC

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    A Chromebook is fantastic for surfing the web; they are fast and there is no need for cumbersome updates as in Windows 10 or anti virus software. The only downside is that printing with a chromebook has its difficulties. I tend to e mail stuff to my laptop and print from that but there are easier ways but the solutions are beyond my technical ability.
    Ive read this before, you just need a " wifi / cloud based printer " and it will print directly from the CB

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    my tablet is android and fine for surfing the web ?

I am involved with a charity that refurbishes unwanted PC’s and Laptops and then hands them back out to children and older students.
    Over six hundred since March. Receiving Schools and individuals are all grateful for what they get but for some schools Chromebooks would be their first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    I am involved with a charity that refurbishes unwanted PC’s and Laptops and then hands them back out to children and older students.
    Over six hundred since March. Receiving Schools and individuals are all grateful for what they get but for some schools Chromebooks would be their first choice.
    we really need to get the corporate world to donate unwanted IT gear, i know companies offer a " wipe and refurb " service, the wiping is off-set by the sale of the unit ( just look at ebay for them ) but it wouldnt harm the big multi-million £ companies to help the " disadvantaged "

all the local primary school around me use CB's, they are very user friendly and need little time to fix issues ( that are rare )

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    thanks i am moving files and pictures to folders they get there ok but some open ok and some just keep saying ziparchive please open an app to do this and the box is empty

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    thanks i gave an answer in an earlier reply if you could help also it would be great

thanks i am moving files and pictures to folders they get there ok but some open ok and some just keep saying ziparchive please open an app to do this and the box is empty
    search the chrome web store ( or google play store ) for a zip archive app, winrar for example

Ive read this before, you just need a " wifi / cloud based printer " and it will print directly from the CB
    could you recommend one or point me in the right direction please

could you recommend one or point me in the right direction please
    winrar has always been a leading app

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mdingbgb?hl=en

so , to repeat , what does a chromebook offer that a decent tablet doesn't?

And that said , can someone suggest a model

Cheers

jeepers....I have a top end DELL, but ...if you want a decent laptop at the lower end ...take a look at TECLAST......yeah...from China (like most things)....but a great laptop at a low price....a client of mine is over the moon with it.......or even Huawei.

chrome books are brilliant for surfing the net etc. If you have a laptop that's getting old and are thinking of getting a Chromebook then get someone to install a FREE operating system like Ubuntu on it.

Works very well on older hardware, quick and simple to use. For bog standard Web browsing, emails, word processing, spreadsheets etc it's brilliant. It's also a lot more powerful at doing other things, but does the basics very well.

Google chrome OS is a derivative of Linux, a little like MacOS is.

Before you throw that old laptop away give it a go, the operating syste is free and you may save yourself the cost of the Chromebook.

winrar has always been a leading app

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mdingbgb?hl=en
    cheers blue matt added this hope its as good as the last one you recommended for opening pdfs

cheers blue matt added this hope its as good as the last one you recommended for opening pdfs
    sorry have you got the link for the pdf viewer again mines disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    so , to repeat , what does a chromebook offer that a decent tablet doesn't?

And that said , can someone suggest a model

Cheers
    its so annoying and hard to get used to except looking on the web which is easy enough and fast mine seemed to go haywire once adobe stopped updating on itim starting to give up on mine

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    im slowly giving up on chromebooks just need to open something i downloaded

sorry have you got the link for the pdf viewer again mines disappeared
    i didnt recommend one

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...66#post5107066

but if you search in the store

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...auncher-search

see if you recognise the one you had though they will all open PDF's