+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson.. where will he play?

Wilson.. where will he play?

Of course if fit will start every game but for us where will he be most effective.

Unusual for a right winger he is left footer. For Derby he played on the right but came in-field and played central quite a bit.

A fit Tomlin in the centre and Wilson on the right in the same side would be a magnificent combination. Without Tomlin would Wilson slot into the middle and ojo on the right or keep Wilson on the right and put ojo in the middle?

On the left, I'd like to see Murphy given a run and Junior given a rest, he looks jaded from playing too many games. Murphy could be a huge beneficiary of the additional pace and flair Wilson brings.

Re: Wilson.. where will he play?

I'm not sure what the situation is with Tomlin but for me if he can play he must. That leaves Wilson on the right but I wonder if there was any conversation with Liverpool about having 2 wide players on loan or if they were more interested in bringing the cash in.

Liverpool have history of inserting penalty clauses in their loan deals for non-selection. (Not sure if this is a regular feature with other clubs). I can see Wilson and Ojo being regular starters with Tomlin, given his fitness, being used more selectively.

The worry for me with all three starting is how defensively strong we would be. All three players can be frustratingly inconsistent: I can see us giving a few teams a good beating if they all turn up, but there could also be frustrating defeats if they all perform under par.

But I’d hope there is enough about this squad to sneak into the play offs.

Wilson in the middle behind Moore. Tomlin to come off the bench if needed.

I do wonder if he’ll play 2 off Kieffer, both Tomlin and Wilson and use wingbacks instead.

I don’t see Wilson as a traditional winger but we shall soon see.

When he will play is what I want to know. Wasn't he carrying an injury after the Wales game?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Liverpool have history of inserting penalty clauses in their loan deals for non-selection. (Not sure if this is a regular feature with other clubs). I can see Wilson and Ojo being regular starters with Tomlin, given his fitness, being used more selectively.

The worry for me with all three starting is how defensively strong we would be. All three players can be frustratingly inconsistent: I can see us giving a few teams a good beating if they all turn up, but there could also be frustrating defeats if they all perform under par.

I agree with this. We've got a lot of fixtures upcoming in a short period of time and I doubt that Tomlin is capable of starting two games per week on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Wilson in the middle behind Moore. Tomlin to come off the bench if needed.

He can play anywhere as long as he gets to show his known dead ball skills , he has that in his locker, sharing that with Tomlin will greatly enhance our threat.

I'd be encouraging our players to go on more direct runs towards the penalty box to entice more fouls too bring more of a threat from the dead ball .

As Tomlins fitness is so inconsistent, the team needed someone to start in the number 10 position week in week out. If Tomlin can come off the bench, Wilson can move out wide.

Tomlin can't be relied on to play 90 minutes. I imagine Wilson will start centrally with Ojo and Murphy/Hoilett out wide

We won’t find out tomorrow as Tomlin is suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post

Klopp did praise Wilson for his defending in their recent Carabo(sp) cup defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    We won’t find out tomorrow as Tomlin is suspended
    And I think Wilson may still be carrying an injury ?

4-2-3-1

Wilson in behind Moore. Probably sacrifice Ralls. Pack & Bacuna as the sitting midfielders.

I imagine he would play in the number role and that Tomlin won't start too many games going forward. Starting Tomlin has become a desperate move anyway, you never know what you're going to get from him and he can't be relied upon to get involved in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    4-2-3-1

Wilson in behind Moore. Probably sacrifice Ralls. Pack & Bacuna as the sitting midfielders.
    Pack & Bacuna - each of them has that really sloppy, under-hit pass, in almost every game, the kind of pass that gifts the opposition a real goal-scoring chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    4-2-3-1

Ralls is better than both of those

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ralls is better than both of those
    Totally agree, don't get what people see in Pack and Bacuna has had a poor start to the season.

What about 3-4-2-1. Could play 3 centre backs, wing backs to provide the width, two central midfielders then Tomlin and Wilson in free roles behind Moore. It's not like any of our wingers have justified us keeping faith in them.

Just a reminder Tomlin is suspended for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    What about 3-4-2-1. Could play 3 centre backs, wing backs to provide the width, two central midfielders then Tomlin and Wilson in free roles behind Moore. It's not like any of our wingers have justified us keeping faith in them.
    We only have 4 cbs though. Plus every time we've tried a back three we've been ripped apart

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    We only have 4 cbs though. Plus every time we've tried a back three we've been ripped apart
    Agree, Harris has shown he just doesn't know how to set up with 5 at the back. I do worry he will try it again with the latest signings.

Just cos weve signed a CB I dont think it's worth changing our formation to accommodate him. He'll sit on the bench instead of Sol and slot in when needed.
    I think Pack will sit in front of the back 4 with Ralls just in front.

He’ll play wherever Harris wants him! I reckon mostly at 10 as Tomlin is rarely fit! Right wing if Tomlin is fit?