Easy to wish them to fail, but have to admire their start to the season

Re: Villa

They are a different team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Injury time winner at Leicester.

Great strike from Ross Barclay. Villa 4 wins out of 4

Just watched thea match and really enjoyed it. Villa have impressed me enormously. Ross Barkley is an inspired acquisition and will work well with Grealish. They look useful all over the park.

Good mamanger

Luckily for then they kept Dean Smith who’s a proven good manager.
    Whilst I don’t think it’ll be another Leicester, it could be just as spectacular:

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Whilst I don’t think it’ll be another Leicester, it could be just as spectacular:
    Similar-ish scenarios. First season back in the top division. Looked dead and buried then went on an unexpected run to survival at the end of the season. Leicester won 7 of their last 9 games after winning 4 from 29! Villa's record wasn't as impressive but they still survived.

Villa have started the season better than Leicester did in their Premier League winning season.

I think Villa need a class striker if they are to challenge for Europa and probably someone better at the back as well. Little strength in depth there. Leicester didn't have much strength in depth but were fortunate with injuries when they won the league.

To think they only just survived a few months back

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    They're nowhere near that Leicester team. They had Vardy, Mahrez and Kante.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Not much else, mind! Vardy was unplayable. Kante controlled a 2 man midfield against most 3 man midfields like you'd never believe. Mahrez was amazing. Schmeichel was great.

very strong combative driving midfield is helping

I'm just thinking they can still go down . I like their manager, but I hate the way that club has been run in recent years, they'd be a terrible role model for others to follow if they achieved any success this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm just thinking they can still go down . I like their manager, but I hate the way that club has been run in recent years, they'd be a terrible role model for others to follow if they achieved any success this season.
    Completely agree,

Grealish is a very good player but the way they went on last season was as though he was playing alongside a load of 2nd rate players not that they had spent a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not much else, mind! Vardy was unplayable. Kante controlled a 2 man midfield against most 3 man midfields like you'd never believe. Mahrez was amazing. Schmeichel was great.
    I thought Vardy was injured so didn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I thought Vardy was injured so didn't play.
    You need to read the rest of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You need to read the rest of the thread
    My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ditto.

That 7-2 Liverpool result has given them wings.
    Pleased for home grown Dean Smith, not Villa though.
    Grealish Good player but he wins best fallers every week!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Similar-ish scenarios. First season back in the top division. Looked dead and buried then went on an unexpected run to survival at the end of the season. Leicester won 7 of their last 9 games after winning 4 from 29! Villa's record wasn't as impressive but they still survived.

Villa have started the season better than Leicester did in their Premier League winning season.

I think Villa need a class striker if they are to challenge for Europa and probably someone better at the back as well. Little strength in depth there. Leicester didn't have much strength in depth but were fortunate with injuries when they won the league.
    Ollie watkins fits that bill IMO.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think there’s a good possibility that people will rate Watkins and Grealish in a similar way that you talk about Vardy and Mahrez. Kante is different, I agree but Douglas Luis is a pretty special player in a similar position and Barkley is better than anything else that Leicester had. Villa also signed a very very good goalkeeper

The big trick for Leicester was also a consistent starting 11. If Villa avoid injuries, I imagine that what we’ll see moving forward will be more of the same. Do I think they’re a top 4-6 side... no, but then again I remember thinking that Leicester would fall away. I lost my Fantasy League that year because of a reluctance to include Vardy and Mahrez as I always expected the bubble to burst. I won’t be making that mistake this time round 🤣

International

Must I? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    That 7-2 Liverpool result has given them wings.
    Pleased for home grown Dean Smith, not Villa though.
    Grealish Good player but he wins best fallers every week!
    To be fair he is constantly scythed down

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    To be fair he is constantly scythed down
    He is a good player and yes, he does get his fair share of kicks, but so do other good players.

Messi and even Ronaldo try and stay on their feet as much as possible and don't go leaping in the air when pressed all the time.
    Mark Hughes had the shit kicked out of him most games but he took it, gave it out too.

I'm not saying lets go back to the dark old days of Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris but the game has gone too far the other way.
    Contact is (or used to be) part of the game and we are spectators are being conned by people throwing themselves to the floor at the slightest touch.

There was an incident the other day where a player (can't remember who it was, could have been the Spurs game) where there was the slightest contact in a striker in the box and the commentators were saying that the striker was a bit naiive staying on his feet and could have easily got a penalty

The game we watch on telly, particularly the premiership, is completely different from the ones we see at our local grounds.