+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Town in Wales

Re: Best Town in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Barry. Obviously. They don't call it Barrybados for nothing.
    I have a lot of time for towns like Barry or Bridgend

I only go into cardiff to watch city , go fishing or go and see bands.

I am not interested in wading through Queen Street or St davids 2 , not interested in the cafe quarter on a summer evening or the bars of St Mary Street, chapter arts centre is OK but apart from that I never used to bother .

Barry has got the island , Porthkerry Park, plenty of trendy shops in High Street if that's your thing , the waterfront development with Asdas , Morrisons, some great kebab houses etc and the west side of Barry has some huge family housing with great views if you have that sort of money . If not there is lots of terraced housing . Loads for the kids to do if you have them .

Of course its got its problems like everywhere else but I have always found Barry people to be really friendly .

If I lived there I wouldn't pop into cardiff apart from to watch city , go to a gig or go fishing .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You aint been to the post office i Taffs Well, if it's a baguette you're after. Ask Sludge.
    Nice lady works in there . I think I made a lasting impression .

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have a lot of time for towns like Barry or Bridgend

I only go into cardiff to watch city , go fishing or go and see bands.

I am not interested in wading through Queen Street or St davids 2 , not interested in the cafe quarter on a summer evening or the bars of St Mary Street, chapter arts centre is OK but apart from that I never used to bother .

Barry has got the island , Porthkerry Park, plenty of trendy shops in High Street if that's your thing , the waterfront development with Asdas , Morrisons, some great kebab houses etc and the west side of Barry has some huge family housing with great views if you have that sort of money . If not there is lots of terraced housing . Loads for the kids to do if you have them .

Of course its got its problems like everywhere else but I have always found Barry people to be really friendly .

If I lived there I wouldn't pop into cardiff apart from to watch city , go to a gig or go fishing .
    Very good summary of Barry although Barry market day on a tuesday can be like a scene from Shaun of the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Very good summary of Barry although Barry market day on a tuesday can be like a scene from Shaun of the dead.
    To be avoided at all costs. If you don't go, you can pretend it never happened.

Monmouth. First line of defence.

Fishguard.
    I like St David's as well but it can get very crowded.

Tenby without doubt, we have a caravan there!

International

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    West Wales is wonderful even in the cold and the rain. Llangranog a personal favourite. Just 3 pubs, a little beach and the odd shop
    Whats odd about it?
    Is it just for local people

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Don't bother going to Newgale. It's freezing cold even in the height of summer. The Bosherton Lakes are great as is the beach at the end. Tenby is difficult to beat. Many of my ancestors were from there.

Barafundle or Broadhaven south ?

Any number of towns and villages in Monmouthshire and Breconshire. Probably my favourite areas or regions, if you can call them that, in Wales.

Really liked the other Newport (Pembrokeshire) when I visited a few years back now. Used to like visiting family up Denbigh way when I was a young ‘un too.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Barafundle or Broadhaven south ?
    Barafundle even better. What about Pwll Du? But neither are towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Don't bother going to Newgale. It's freezing cold even in the height of summer. The Bosherton Lakes are great as is the beach at the end. Tenby is difficult to beat. Many of my ancestors were from there.
    I agree about Newgale, it’s too big, windy and boring with one shiiiite pub. Lots better small villages all over and better beaches

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Pontypridd...but in 1966!
    It’s still 1966 in Ponty!

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Any number of towns and villages in Monmouthshire and Breconshire. Probably my favourite areas or regions, if you can call them that, in Wales.

Really liked the other Newport (Pembrokeshire) when I visited a few years back now. Used to like visiting family up Denbigh way when I was a young ‘un too.
    The Parrog in Newport is stunning.

Grange Town....Capital of Cardiff !

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    No Brainer 😜
    I like its beaches

The choice coastal towns from St David’s to Aberaeron is pretty impressive, Fishguard, Newport, Cardigan, New Quay plus the smaller gems like Llangrannog, it’s surprising that coast doesn’t rival South Pembs more as a holiday destination. My oldest is living in St David’s at the moment, there’s plenty to do even outside the holday season and during covid.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    So good they named it twice

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s still 1966 in Ponty!
    I wish it was there was good money to be made twice a week on ponty market.

Caer filthy of course

Porthcawl is great in the summer but sinks into a maggot ridden cesspit of death in the winter

Lots of city fans though

And two good fishing lakes

Saundersfoot is one of my favourite places in the World.
    Many happy memories of staying in a caravan with my Mam, Dad and Brother when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Saundersfoot is one of my favourite places in the World.
    Many happy memories of staying in a caravan with my Mam, Dad and Brother when I was a kid.
    Sands nightclub , the pub half way up the hill , fishing off the sea wall

Lovely stuff

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sands nightclub , the pub half way up the hill , fishing off the sea wall

Lovely stuff
    Went out Makrel Fishing and one of the kids caught a Garfish...looked like a mini sword fish.

Next day we went out sea fishing for 3 hrs and I’ve never been so Seasick in my life 😆😆.

Took my Wife there about 5 years ago with my Mam and Dad just before my Mam passed away and it was just as I remembered it...drizzling and absolutely lovely.