+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to watch. the Merseyside or Glasgow derby?

Re: What to watch. the Merseyside or Glasgow derby?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    In that picture the ball had already been played
    No, the wide version of that shows the ball is being played at that moment. It was used in all the analysis

The rules need to be changed. It should be based on feet only and there should be daylight between the attacking and defending players' feet. If you can keep your feet onside and lunge forward to make contact with the ball with your head or chest more power to you. What happened to the goal scorer being given the benefit of the doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The rules need to be changed. It should be based on feet only and there should be daylight between the attacking and defending players' feet. If you can keep your feet onside and lunge forward to make contact with the ball with your head or chest more power to you. What happened to the goal scorer being given the benefit of the doubt?
    Problem is then the daylight will be marginal.

If the offside rule is a goalscoring part of your body and VAR is accurate you just accept it however minimal it is.

Its either that or do the cricket thing and keep goal line technology and give teams limited reviews.

I thought the offside decision in the incident where Pickford clattered Van Dijk was definitely questionable, but you shouldn't be having goals disallowed for situations like that in the picture Michael posted.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I thought the offside decision in the incident where Pickford clattered Van Dijk was definitely questionable, but you shouldn't be having goals disallowed for situations like that in the picture Michael posted.
    From the picture he doesn't look offside. But if we are using VAR then unfortunately its either the technology says your off or not. 1mm if thats it.

Otherwise if its 6 inches as allowable then 6 inches 1mm means your off.

There should be something similar to umpire's call in cricket, where any borderline decisions like that revert to the original decision of the referee and assistants. Obviously there would need to be a definition of what borderline means, but cricket seems to have it sussed.

Advantage should be with the attacker, therefore it should be the whole body past the line, to be offside.

Just because the attacker is quick off the mark, he shouldn't be punished

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Advantage should be with the attacker, therefore it should be the whole body past the line, to be offside.

If thats the rule fair enough.

Its not though.

I'm not one who says that you have to have crowds to make football enjoyable, but I'd say today's Celtic v Rangers match is the one above all else where the lack of spectators will be felt. Normally, I'd watch it before the Everton v Liverpool match, but the latter should be much the better game of football, so that's the one I'll start with anyway,
    Neither.

I watched the IPL. Only caught the odd game before, thoroughly enjoying it,
    there has been some wonderful cricket. Including some magnificent fielding.

I won't say anything about the game in case anyone is going to watch highlights later.

Mind you if there is an IPL match on at lunchtime tomorrow, the cricket stands no chance!!

My son asked this relevant question:

If Reece James can be sent off after the game (game is not live), why is Pickford not sent off just because it was after the offside (game not live).

I'd love to have seen Everton win but Liverpool should have had another goal, a penalty & Pickford sent off. VAR / refereeing hopeless

Remember the ridiculous penalty for handball in the Spurs Newcastle game the other week?
    There was a similar offside in the build up to that which I am sure (from memory) was slightly clearer than that though not by much.

I don't envy the officials with these VAR decisions but they don't help themselves sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My son asked this relevant question:

If Reece James can be sent off after the game (game is not live), why is Pickford not sent off just because it was after the offside (game not live).

I'd love to have seen Everton win but Liverpool should have had another goal, a penalty & Pickford sent off. VAR / refereeing hopeless
    James wasn't sent off retroactively as a result of VAR. He was sent off in the moment for something that happened after the final whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    James wasn't sent off retroactively as a result of VAR. He was sent off in the moment for something that happened after the final whistle.
    Apparently you can be sent off after the whistle for violent conduct or dissent. Was Pickford's not violent conduct? I am a qualified referee but not been on a pitch for 20+ years, I'd definitely give Pickford a red

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    If thats the rule fair enough.

Its not though.

I'm saying, IT SHOULD BE THE RULE !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Problem is then the daylight will be marginal.

If the offside rule is a goalscoring part of your body and VAR is accurate you just accept it however minimal it is.

Its either that or do the cricket thing and keep goal line technology and give teams limited reviews.
    How about placing a line behind the players instead of in front? As it stands, an attacking player's body can be behind the defender but if he's standing with his legs apart (possibly in mid stride) he can be deemed offside. It doesn't make sense.

I'm not one who says that you have to have crowds to make football enjoyable, but I'd say today's Celtic v Rangers match is the one above all else where the lack of spectators will be felt. Normally, I'd watch it before the Everton v Liverpool match, but the latter should be much the better game of football, so that's the one I'll start with anyway,
    Pub football versus premier league football? 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    You can't see if this is the moment the ball was played though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Pub football versus premier league football? ��*♂️
    I would have watched the pub football if fans had been allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Neither.

I watched the IPL. Only caught the odd game before, thoroughly enjoying it,
    there has been some wonderful cricket. Including some magnificent fielding.

I won't say anything about the game in case anyone is going to watch highlights later.

Mind you if there is an IPL match on at lunchtime tomorrow, the cricket stands no chance!!
    I start watching IPL games, but the over the top commentators always do my head in - it's a good product which doesn't need gibbering idiots talking bollox incessantly as a backdrop to get people interested

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    What happened to level is onside ? Surely it should be naked eye but even using the above I don’t see how they deem that offside ???
    This technology was supposed to get these decisions right and they have got 2 wrong today with this and Pickford awful challenge !

Maybe we are better off without it in championship
    When analysing the frame on BT Sport yesterday the ball had already left the boot of Thiago.

We are seeing only one frame (copied from TV).

The VAR ref may have given an offside decision based on an earlier frame or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Apparently you can be sent off after the whistle for violent conduct or dissent. Was Pickford's not violent conduct? I am a qualified referee but not been on a pitch for 20+ years, I'd definitely give Pickford a red
    it was one of the worst tackles I've seen in recent memory, could have bent his leg backwards at the knee

I start watching IPL games, but the over the top commentators always do my head in - it's a good product which doesn't need gibbering idiots talking bollox incessantly as a backdrop to get people interested
    Just like some on this board then Bob!

I hasten to add I don't include you in this (well most of the time!!!!!).

Good old Test Match Special I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    When analysing the frame on BT Sport yesterday the ball had already left the boot of Thiago.

We are seeing only one frame (copied from TV).

The VAR ref may have given an offside decision based on an earlier frame or two.
    Possibly true but it would still have been very marginal.

the VAR line could be thinner surely