+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another away win, but old weakness means questions still remain about rebuilt Cardiff City.

Another away win, but old weakness means questions still remain about rebuilt Cardiff City.

Re: Another away win, but old weakness means questions still remain about rebuilt Cardiff City.

Thanks Bob, your views on the match are pretty much the same as mine. Hope we can create more goal scoring chances against Bournemouth, with another couple of days training with the squad for Wilson, and Tomlin back in for contention.

Re: Another away win, but old weakness means questions still remain about rebuilt Cardiff City.

Thanks Bob, I think that we are moving in the right direction under Harris and i thought it was a good 1-0 hard fought away win yesterday, the clean sheet was another cherry on the win. On the new Goalie being brought in I just wonder if the board and Harris has plans for smithies he certainly seems to be our prize asset. and finally I'm really starting to miss these away trips.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You will have seen Joel Bagan play Bob.

Do you think he can do a decent job at left back?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    You will have seen Joel Bagan play Bob.

Do you think he can do a decent job at left back?
    I was impressed by him when he played against Reading in the FA Cup last season and I saw him play three times for Notts County when he was on loan with them - by and large, he looked one of the most comfortable players in possession in their team and didn't struggle too much defensively.

If we were without Bennett and Cunningham on Wednesday, I think Bagan could come in and do okay, but, if the injuries to our two senior left backs were bad enough to keep them out for weeks, I wouldn't be too confident about how he'd do in a run of, say, ten matches.

Great read as usual, Bob. Your opening salvo about 1-0 away wins setting the scene for a good season planted a seed in my head that needed researching!

The season with the largest number of away 1-0s over the last 20 years was the 2017/18 promotion winning season. We won 5 away from home with that scoreline that season. Here's a list of promotion winning seasons since the start of the 80s and the number of 1-0 away wins:

82/83 1
    87/88 4
    92/93 3
    98/99 2
    00/01 0
    02/03 4
    12/13 3
    17/18 5

The standout figure is the 2000/01 season where, on the 6 occasions we scored 1 away from home, we managed 1 draw and 5 defeats. The last time we failed to register a single 1-0 away win was in Russell Slade's only full season. It might also be worth noting that we've won promotion in 82/83, 92/93, 02/03 and 12/13. I predict promotion in 2022/23, but I'm not saying from which division we'll be promoted!

In terms of more recent successful City managers, Neil Harris tops the 1-0 away chart with a third of his away wins being 1-0. Lennie Lawrence comes next with 32%, then Malky and Warnock both with 29% (both won the same number of away games and the same number of 1-0 away games). Dave Jones managed 26% of his away wins at the scoreline of 1-0. The lower the 1-0 percentage, the higher the percentage of away wins with 2 or more goals. This suggests Jones's away teams were more free scoring than the others.

Lennie was a bit of a master when we scored only 1 goal away from home. We won 31% of league away games, with obviously the same clean sheet percentage, when we scored 1 and conceded only 1.09 goals a game. Both Warnock and Jones managed to win 25% of league aways when we scored 1 and conceded 1.58 and 1.52 goals a game respectively. Warnock did have a season in the Premier League though. Malky's away win percentage of 21% when scoring just 1 goal is the worst. Harris's record stands at 57% with 4 clean sheets out of 7. The 1.29 goal conceding rate due to the QPR collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Great read as usual, Bob. Your opening salvo about 1-0 away wins setting the scene for a good season planted a seed in my head that needed researching!

The season with the largest number of away 1-0s over the last 20 years was the 2017/18 promotion winning season. We won 5 away from home with that scoreline that season. Here's a list of promotion winning seasons since the start of the 80s and the number of 1-0 away wins:

82/83 1
    87/88 4
    92/93 3
    98/99 2
    00/01 0
    02/03 4
    12/13 3
    17/18 5

The standout figure is the 2000/01 season where, on the 6 occasions we scored 1 away from home, we managed 1 draw and 5 defeats. The last time we failed to register a single 1-0 away win was in Russell Slade's only full season. It might also be worth noting that we've won promotion in 82/83, 92/93, 02/03 and 12/13. I predict promotion in 2022/23, but I'm not saying from which division we'll be promoted!

In terms of more recent successful City managers, Neil Harris tops the 1-0 away chart with a third of his away wins being 1-0. Lennie Lawrence comes next with 32%, then Malky and Warnock both with 29% (both won the same number of away games and the same number of 1-0 away games). Dave Jones managed 26% of his away wins at the scoreline of 1-0. The lower the 1-0 percentage, the higher the percentage of away wins with 2 or more goals. This suggests Jones's away teams were more free scoring than the others.

Lennie was a bit of a master when we scored only 1 goal away from home. We won 31% of league away games, with obviously the same clean sheet percentage, when we scored 1 and conceded only 1.09 goals a game. Both Warnock and Jones managed to win 25% of league aways when we scored 1 and conceded 1.58 and 1.52 goals a game respectively. Warnock did have a season in the Premier League though. Malky's away win percentage of 21% when scoring just 1 goal is the worst. Harris's record stands at 57% with 4 clean sheets out of 7. The 1.29 goal conceding rate due to the QPR collapse.
    Thanks for that Eric, that figure for 00/01 is no surprise as it felt at the time that 4-3 (with one of the goals conceded being stuck into the net by one of our players!) was a more typical score with that team!

Lennie Lawrence was a great believer in the importance of the game's first goal and I have the distinct impression that a team that scores first and then concedes an equaliser is more likely to go on to win the match 2-1, 3-1 etc. than lose it if it does not end up 1-1.

I was impressed by him when he played against Reading in the FA Cup last season and I saw him play three times for Notts County when he was on loan with them - by and large, he looked one of the most comfortable players in possession in their team and didn't struggle too much defensively.

If we were without Bennett and Cunningham on Wednesday, I think Bagan could come in and do okay, but, if the injuries to our two senior left backs were bad enough to keep them out for weeks, I wouldn't be too confident about how he'd do in a run of, say, ten matches.
    Bennetts twitter feed shows him back in training and if Cunninghams is a hamstring I would guess 3 to 5 (unless it is a really bad one).

So it doesn't look as though it would be 10 weeks just a couple.

Even so it could be a case like Gary Bell in the 60's. If my memory is right after the debacle mentioned briefly in your book when Palace thrashed us 4-0 at Ninian (we were lucky to score 0!!!),Bell replaced Ferguson at left back.I remember at the time my Dad and others thought Ferguson would be back after a short time, I don't think he played for us again.

We have got to give young players a chance sometime.

Thanks for that Eric, that figure for 00/01 is no surprise as it felt at the time that 4-3 (with one of the goals conceded being stuck into the net by one of our players!) was a more typical score with that team!

Lennie Lawrence was a great believer in the importance of the game's first goal and I have the distinct impression that a team that scores first and then concedes an equaliser is more likely to go on to win the match 2-1, 3-1 etc. than lose it if it does not end up 1-1.
    Yes, that side scored a ridiculous number of goals but also enough stupid goals went in at the wrong end. How we remained unbeaten at home is a mystery!

As for the 1-0 to 1-1 etc conundrum,now there's an analysis challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, that side scored a ridiculous number of goals but also enough stupid goals went in at the wrong end. How we remained unbeaten at home is a mystery!

As for the 1-0 to 1-1 etc conundrum,now there's an analysis challenge!
    I just had a look at our last two seasons. Last season, we had eleven games where matches went 1-0, 1-1 and then produced a definite result and the team which scored the first won six of them with the side who conceded first coming out on top in the other five. In 18/19, there were nine such games and, once again, the side that let in the first goal won five times, so, basically, I've just wasted ten minutes of my life there.

However, I can remember from around Lennie Lawrence's time going into Dave Jones' we went a very long time being unbeaten in games where we scored the first goal and we weren't very good at turning things around if we let one in first.

I'll keep an eye on it in games to come , but It's not happened yet this season.

Had planned to order your book for Xmas, but now we're in lockdown just ordered paperback on prime.
    Better be good !

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Had planned to order your book for Xmas, but now we're in lockdown just ordered paperback on prime.
    Better be good !
    The photo of Ian Gibson and Jimmy Scoular just after he had signed for us is good I reckon - not so sure about the rest of it