+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Political post.. @Yescymru

Re: Political post.. @Yescymru

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The main scheme that is needed - the M4 improvement around Newport - could and should happen but, wait a minute, politics seems to have got in the way. If there was the political will that scheme would be built but it seems the Welsh government are against it even though the scheme would provide jobs by promoting industrial development. So, even if independence were to happen (which it won't) could the politicians be trusted to do the right thing?
    Environmental impact, climate change and health or not (or should not be) political issues. How is building more roads and carrying on the way we are ever going to end well? We have to stop driving cars. Wales needs to become a healthier place to live and the same old ways of doing things need to change. I say if there was really the political will, we'd be able to change. The arguments of providing jobs is tenuous - that one is always suggested but is either non quantifiable or short-termism.

The fact that a Westminster government can/will intervene with the Seneddd decisions (whatever political party is in power) is not even devolution let alone independence.

I'm genuinely not have a go. It's something I feel very strongly about and only becomes political because I feel I'm given a Hobson's Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Environmental impact, climate change and health or not (or should not be) political issues. How is building more roads and carrying on the way we are ever going to end well? We have to stop driving cars. Wales needs to become a healthier place to live and the same old ways of doing things need to change. I say if there was really the political will, we'd be able to change. The arguments of providing jobs is tenuous - that one is always suggested but is either non quantifiable or short-termism.

The fact that a Westminster government can/will intervene with the Seneddd decisions (whatever political party is in power) is not even devolution let alone independence.

I'm genuinely not have a go. It's something I feel very strongly about and only becomes political because I feel I'm given a Hobson's Choice.
    The main problem with the M4 scheme is the payback. I think it cost more than 1bn (which probably means 2 or 3) and doing it would add 20-30 million a year to the economy.

given that 1bn is basically our entire budget for infrastructure spending, we are never going to tie that up for 30 odd years until the m4 relief road pays for itself

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Not if you have a Welsh Nationalist tattoo you cant
    who threw you a biscuit

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The main problem with the M4 scheme is the payback. I think it cost more than 1bn (which probably means 2 or 3) and doing it would add 20-30 million a year to the economy.

given that 1bn is basically our entire budget for infrastructure spending, we are never going to tie that up for 30 odd years until the m4 relief road pays for itself
    we are always told by the left (Labour) that the right (Conservatives) know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, yet here you are advocating the very same approach. What about lowering pollution, or increasing personal utility and happiness instead of being stuck in traffic jams - don't they count?

The fact is the Welsh Government shied away from investing in something which requires significant investment, citing payback is just not a reasonable excuse. Payback over 30 years is not unheard of for large capital projects. The SSC required payback over 25 years or so, perhaps we shouldn't have built that as it only shaves ten minutes of journey times.

We don't have politicians that are prepared to make bold decisions, until we do then independence is pure fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    we are always told by the left (Labour) that the right (Conservatives) know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, yet here you are advocating the very same approach. What about lowering pollution, or increasing personal utility and happiness instead of being stuck in traffic jams - don't they count?

The fact is the Welsh Government shied away from investing in something which requires significant investment, citing payback is just not a reasonable excuse. Payback over 30 years is not unheard of for large capital projects. The SSC required payback over 25 years or so, perhaps we shouldn't have built that as it only shaves ten minutes of journey times.

We don't have politicians that are prepared to make bold decisions, until we do then independence is pure fantasy
    The SSC should NEVER have taken that long to pay back, only because of the scandalous PPI agreement did it take that long. It cost about 200 million to build yet we ended up paying well over a billion pounds more than that! I genuinely think there should be an enquiry into that deal but that's another point.

The costs for the m4 relief road were already up to 1.6 bn, with some estimates already hitting 2 bn. And the money it generated was pretty low, I can't find the exact figures again, but from memory it was about 25-30 million a year.

If it's 25 million and a 2 billion cost that becomes a payback of 80 years, there are plenty of other things the money can be spent on in south wales that will have a bigger impact. We have limited scope for borrowing and limited resources so it makes sense to spend it on what will have the biggest effect.

The congestion going past newport could be improved significantly by closing half of the newport junctions imo.

Feedback

The SSC should NEVER have taken that long to pay back, only because of the scandalous PPI agreement did it take that long. It cost about 200 million to build yet we ended up paying well over a billion pounds more than that! I genuinely think there should be an enquiry into that deal but that's another point.

The costs for the m4 relief road were already up to 1.6 bn, with some estimates already hitting 2 bn. And the money it generated was pretty low, I can't find the exact figures again, but from memory it was about 25-30 million a year.

If it's 25 million and a 2 billion cost that becomes a payback of 80 years, there are plenty of other things the money can be spent on in south wales that will have a bigger impact. We have limited scope for borrowing and limited resources so it makes sense to spend it on what will have the biggest effect.

The congestion going past newport could be improved significantly by closing half of the newport junctions imo.
    isn't this the argument why London gets all the investment? Yet almost no-one is advocating that anymore.

isn't this the argument why London gets all the investment? Yet almost no-one is advocating that anymore.
    the UK can afford to run multiple multi Billion infrastructure projects, it would be good if they weren't all in London.

Wales can pretty much afford to do one at a time

Feedback

the UK can afford to run multiple multi Billion infrastructure projects, it would be good if they weren't all in London.
    such as HS2?

Wales can pretty much afford to do one at a time
    can we? such as what - adding a few pelican crossings and belisha beacons in the Valleys somewhere

such as HS2?
    London will be, by far, the main beneficiary from HS2

can we? such as what - adding a few pelican crossings and belisha beacons in the Valleys somewhere
    That is to say we COULD do a larger project, but only one probably, and that being the case it would need to have a much better case to justify doing it that the M4 relief road had, unless we want all the money tied up for the next 80 years

Feedback

London will be, by far, the main beneficiary from HS2
    do you really think so? If anything, it will mean London's commuter belt extends up to the Midlands and beyond, meaning employment wealth created in London is being spent further away.
    That is to say we COULD do a larger project, but only one probably, and that being the case it would need to have a much better case to justify doing it that the M4 relief road had, unless we want all the money tied up for the next 80 years
    why would spending £1bn now mean our money was tied up for 80 years. if it is spent now, then it is spent, next year we have another £1bn to spend.

do you really think so? If anything, it will mean London's commuter belt extends up to the Midlands and beyond, meaning employment wealth created in London is being spent further away.
    why would spending £1bn now mean our money was tied up for 80 years. if it is spent now, then it is spent, next year we have another £1bn to spend.
    I dont see people moving to Birmingham, just because they can get to London 15 minutes quicker than they can now!

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Then Ireland would just lower theirs
    I dont really know the ins and outs of it to be honest, think we were comparing UK to Wales.
    However what if we lower it by 0.01% lower than Ireland everytime they lower theirs?

Another issue of course is there's no guarantee that it'll help ease the flow of traffic at all, in fact most studies show road expansion leads to increased vehicle use. In 20 years time we'd be talking about the M4 Relief Road's Relief Road

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You gotta be F ucking taking the piss !!!!!!!!!!!

You seriously want Donald DUCKford in charge !!!!!!!!
    ..life before the Senedd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-QeKaiWulw

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I dont see people moving to Birmingham, just because they can get to London 15 minutes quicker than they can now!
    I meant people of Birmingham could apply for, and commute to, jobs in London

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Perhaps there should be a referendum and then we will see if there is demand for independence. Of course even the most ardent Yes Cymru person thinks a referendum is a good idea because everyone knows the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Perhaps there should be a referendum and then we will see if there is demand for independence. Of course even the most ardent Yes Cymru person thinks a referendum is a good idea because everyone knows the result.
    I'm not a member myself but I don't think Yes Cymru are under any illusions that they'd win that referendum now

I meant people of Birmingham could apply for, and commute to, jobs in London
    Why don't they do so now, then, or do they?

The best thing about this thread is that its now at 8 pages.

Welsh independence needs to be talked about all the time, in mainstream media, social media, in the pub etc. There's rights and wrongs in both arguments but the only chance it'll happen is through it becoming part of every day conversation.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Why don't they do so now, then, or do they?
    I doubt the current train times are perceived as being palatable with no direct train

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    The best thing about this thread is that its now at 8 pages.

Welsh independence needs to be talked about all the time, in mainstream media, social media, in the pub etc. There's rights and wrongs in both arguments but the only chance it'll happen is through it becoming part of every day conversation.
    Well said Sir. Some people seem to content with their nation underperforming. But then they probably don't see Wales as their nation.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    Well said Sir. Some people seem to content with their nation underperforming. But then they probably don't see Wales as their nation.
    we've had 20 years of one party rule. That is very much part of Wales' problem.

anyone will be better than Welsh Labour, even Plaid, and I say that knowing that the party is a moebius strip of stupidity.

[QUOTE=TISS;5128664]we've had 20 years of one party rule. That is very much part of Wales' problem.

Well, we can agree with that. When I voted for devolution I was under the impression that the voting system almost gauranteed a coalition government. I imagined a situation where the best talents in every party - yes including Tory but certainly not UKIP or whatever they are called these days - would work together on for the betterment of Wales. I did not vote for 1 party rule for 20 years. That has not been good for Wales. But 20 years of corrupt incompetent jingiostic Tory rule from Westminster is 10 times worse.

anyone will be better than Welsh Labour, even Plaid, and I say that knowing that the party is a moebius strip of stupidity.
    [QUOTE=Garth Blue;5128717]

Well, we can agree with that. When I voted for devolution I was under the impression that the voting system almost gauranteed a coalition government. I imagined a situation where the best talents in every party - yes including Tory but certainly not UKIP or whatever they are called these days - would work together on for the betterment of Wales. I did not vote for 1 party rule for 20 years. That has not been good for Wales. But 20 years of corrupt incompetent jingiostic Tory rule from Westminster is 10 times worse.
    I'd agree that the current system in Cardiff or Westmister doesn't lend itself to effective government. It just leads to petty squabbling, playing to the crowd etc.

Personally I'd like to see a system brought in where yes there is scrutiny, but MPs/AMs are encouraged to collaborate. Can you imagine trying to run a business the way the country is run, when no matter what you say, half the board room have to agree and cheer it rapturously and the other half have to disagree and boo loudly?

Also currently MPs are only incentivised to get reelected in 5 years, nothing else matters. I think they should be aiming to get some kind of long term financial rewards based on the long term impact of their policies.

It would be easier to shake up the senydd than Westminster, and I think Wales could grasp the opportunity to reform the way politics works here which could give it a genuine advantage