+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Political post.. @Yescymru

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Political post.. @Yescymru

No.
    Drakeford and his cronies couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.
    Topical ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No.
    Drakeford and his cronies couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery.
    Topical ironic.
    Ditto.

The jocks would cock things up on their own, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Ditto.

The jocks would cock things up on their own, too.
    And another one. Only the English can rule and organise, apparently. That's the English, who, along with the help of the Welsh, are currently driving everyone off a cliff.

I feel like I'm closer to voting for Welsh independence than I've ever been in my life, but, if there was a vote on it today, I would still be against it on balance - the thought of a long spell under the rule of a Government as inept as Johnson's is proving to be could well make me change my opinion pretty soon mind.

Card carrying member

I see mostly downsides, well probably only downsides. I'd be one of the first to flee over the border if the Assembly ever had full control.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Sorry. Bit of an overreaction on my part. But economically Wales couldn't possibly support itself. There is little industry and a lot of social deprivation requiring support from the State. And those who pay tax will probably have to pay double to support the rest and, if businesses are taxed higher than England, they will simply leave. Even when Labour has been in power nationally Wales has been ignored and their voters taken for granted. While a Wales only government would have power they wouldn't have the cash to do very much. Wales does not even have a currency so in the unlikely event permission is given for the pound to be used, the UK government would have to control spending. Wales could never be wholly independent ever.
    They are valid arguments and if Welsh independence is ever to be a reality will need to be addressed, if they can.

The intention of my post wasn't to try and convert anyone, just to see what people thought.

It's a NO from me, a Welsh speaker, especially while the present bunch of no marks are down The Bay.
    Have elections with a better class of politician and I may change my mind, only might because I think we'd be pushing it to be financially better off alone as I think Scotland would too.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    It's a NO from me, a Welsh speaker, especially while the present bunch of no marks are down The Bay.
    Have elections with a better class of politician and I may change my mind, only might because I think we'd be pushing it to be financially better off alone as I think Scotland would too.
    The class of Tory politician leading the country have really set the bar high haven't they?

I have always been totally against it. Most elections I cant even be bothered to vote.( I do make the effort for the General Election) I dont think ive ever voted in the Welsh Assembly elections. I would have turned up to vote against Welsh Independence and didnt want the assembly.

However Im like Bob. This useless government and the fact working class areas in England put them in has made me rethink.

Id go further id vote for Independence if there was a vote today.

At this point in time I would rather have an independent, Welsh owned and funded, high quality media outlet rather than an independent Wales.

Wales online is horrific, we need an independent media to hold Westminster and the Assembly to account, as well putting Welsh political and social agendas front and centre.

With an independent media behind you, you can make a better case for or against a separate Wales (not that I want that). You can't rely on the BBC (backed by central government) and the London owned outlets to drive Welsh agendas in any depth.

Personally I think it's better to fight for more autonomy and law making powers rather than splitting up the UK. This pandemic has shown Wales often needs a different approach to the wider UK, so lets get more devolution.

I used to think that it would be a big mistake to leave the union.

However, for as long as you care to look back Wales has been one of, or the poorest parts of the UK.
    I don't see that even changing whilst in a union with a member more than 18 times as big as us.
    The focus will always be on how to help London and the South east and we will get the scraps.

Yes we get Barnett formula money, but that is all just spent on public services to treat the symptoms of having the oldest, poorest least healthy population in the UK.

Investment into infrastructure almost never happens because you always get more bang for your buck in London, so in the union we will always be a poor relation and always just treating the symptoms of our economy.

Ireland for many years were about the poorest part of the UK. They became independent 100 years ago this coming March, and since about the year 2000 have had a higher GDP per capita than the UK.
    Had they not left the UK this would not have happened.

I wonder if the answer for anyone will be different once Scotland and Northern Ireland have both decided to leave.

We've got loads of industry - steelworks making huge quantities of steel and vast profits. The massive financial quarter in Mill Lane. Natural resources, we could sell our water to the Midlands and North West - they currently get it for free. Loads of earth, rock we could export.

bring it on..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We've got loads of industry - steelworks making huge quantities of steel and vast profits. The massive financial quarter in Mill Lane. Natural resources, we could sell our water to the Midlands and North West - they currently get it for free. Loads of earth, rock we could export.

bring it on..
    I wouldn't go so far as to say the steel industry is vastly profitable and, as for selling water, that can't happen as the reservoirs were constructed and paid for by local authorities in England. They could be nationalised at a cost but that is more money Wales doesn't or won't have.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the steel industry is vastly profitable and, as for selling water, that can't happen as the reservoirs were constructed and paid for by local authorities in England. They could be nationalised at a cost but that is more money Wales doesn't or won't have.
    I was being sarcastic. Wales on it's own is about as wealthy as Sudan

Not for me I am a Unionist, believe UK is stronger together, very proud of our history on the world stage and believe that we need less division from the home nations and a need to come together, so Britain can come out of our current climate a stronger and more resilient power than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I was being sarcastic. Wales on it's own is about as wealthy as Sudan
    how about per capita?

Ireland (prior to EU membership) and Iceland have their own currencies. To be truly independent you have to have a currency; otherwise public spending and borrowing would have to be controlled by the country to which the currency belongs. ONS data indicates public spending in Wales is £14.7bn greater than taxes received so how is this gap to be closed if spending in Wales in effectively controlled by the UK government even if Wales was independent. It could never happen.

Ireland (prior to EU membership) and Iceland have their own currencies. To be truly independent you have to have a currency; otherwise public spending and borrowing would have to be controlled by the country to which the currency belongs. ONS data indicates public spending in Wales is £14.7bn greater than taxes received so how is this gap to be closed if spending in Wales in effectively controlled by the UK government even if Wales was independent. It could never happen.
    Do you have a link that has a breakdown on the Welsh Public spending figures?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Do you have a link that has a breakdown on the Welsh Public spending figures?
    Not a breakdown as such. This is where I got my information. It's now a few years old. Read from "A basket case" down.

https://www.dw.com/en/could-an-indep...one/a-49952972

Not a breakdown as such. This is where I got my information. It's now a few years old. Read from "A basket case" down.

The fact that there is such a disparity between the economy here and other parts of the UK is more of a case of independence than against one for me.

Decisions will always be made to support the economy in London and the South East, no matter the effect on regions such as Wales.

Ireland was probably the poorest part of the UK and now it is richer than the UK, because it takes decisions that benefits itself, not london.

If Ireland had never become independent it would probably still be as poor a Wales.

Thanks, suppose i could get into the weeds of it myself but can't be arsed, was just interested in where it was going in a nice pie chart as i'm sure things like the armed force, nuclear power/weapons and foreign aid to Israel and other none deserving countries could be cut.

Interesting how aside from 1 person the argument has simply been about economics. Living in Catalunya for 20 years its a lot more nuanced, sentiment of people, language, culture, arts, education, and hundreds of other things.

Why is the UK in massive debt if Westminster and England is so great and strong?

The population of Wales probably isn't far off the population of the Republic of Ireland when they gained independance

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The population of Wales probably isn't far off the population of the Republic of Ireland when they gained independance
    lets just remember that globalism wasn't around in the 1920s (or 1940s - depending on how you define independence), and that localism played a much greater part of trade. Regardless, for many many years the punt was pegged to Sterling and all spend decisions for Ireland were made in Westminster.