+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joel Bagan

Joel Bagan

Over the last 50 years I have seen many City players make their debuts, many of whom went on to become established professionals and others fell by the wayside. Typically most of the debutants were ‘local’ boys and so the hope that they would do well was even greater.
    Although not a local boy I guess Joe Ralls is the last youngster to have made the grade.
    Chances for debutants these days are few and far between but wouldn’t it be great to see Bagan get his chance and to become a success.

Re: Joel Bagan

Absolutely....many of the top teams in the premiership give debuts to youngsters such as Joe Bagan....if they are deemed good enough they get their chance.....was disappointed that some of our other 'prospects' are out on loan. NONE seem to even make the bench.

There’s no better time to start Joel with the injuries to Cunningham and Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Absolutely....many of the top teams in the premiership give debuts to youngsters such as Joe Bagan....if they are deemed good enough they get their chance.....was disappointed that some of our other 'prospects' are out on loan. NONE seem to even make the bench.
    I guess maybe ours just haven’t been good enough then.

When he played in the FA Cup tie earlier this year, I was really impressed with him. One of the best debuts I have seen from a City youngster. Apart from his touch, his positioning and awareness was spot on. I am sure if both Bennett and Cunningham are out then he will be a suitable replacement.

Harris wants our full backs to be 'explosive' this season, the fact that three of them have suffered hamstring problems already will give him some food for thought (and maybe give Warnock some schadenfreude). Just a coincidence, hopefully, but it looks like the door will open for Bagan at some point and I'm sure he won't let us down when that chance comes. We've still got Dan Martin at under-23 level too. I'm not sure where he's at standard wise but if Harris wants a full back who pushes on then he certainly ticks that box, he makes Kyle Walker look like Peltier.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the squad gets stretched this season. Will Harris prefer to play senior players out of position (or carrying slight knocks) or will he take a chance on the younger ones? It looks like Wednesday may give us an early chance to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Harris wants our full backs to be 'explosive' this season, the fact that three of them have suffered hamstring problems already will give him some food for thought (and maybe give Warnock some schadenfreude). Just a coincidence, hopefully, but it looks like the door will open for Bagan at some point and I'm sure he won't let us down when that chance comes. We've still got Dan Martin at under-23 level too. I'm not sure where he's at standard wise but if Harris wants a full back who pushes on then he certainly ticks that box, he makes Kyle Walker look like Peltier.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the squad gets stretched this season. Will Harris prefer to play senior players out of position (or carrying slight knocks) or will he take a chance on the younger ones? It looks like Wednesday may give us an early chance to find out.
    I thought at the time that starting Bennett against Blackburn was unnecessarily risky. With the international window straight after, he could have had 4 weeks to recover and only missed 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I thought at the time that starting Bennett against Blackburn was unnecessarily risky. With the international window straight after, he could have had 4 weeks to recover and only missed 2 games.
    Agreed. Especially after Cunningham had played and done OK.

I'd like to see Bagan startingand Nelson switched to RB, I can't see Benkovic, being a bench warmer.
    Hopefully he will go on to form a solid C B pairing with Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    There’s no better time to start Joel with the injuries to Cunningham and Bennett.
    Agreed.

I’m sure Nelson played right back in a pre season game and looked decent. More solid defensively than dynamic going forward mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    An awkward one but he might be the only option.

I hope that some of the usual knuckle draggers on here behave if Bagan plays and makes a few errors tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I'd like to see Bagan startingand Nelson switched to RB, I can't see Benkovic, being a bench warmer.
    Hopefully he will go on to form a solid C B pairing with Morrison
    Don't see the point in moving Nelson. Just creates another issue. Leave the two centre backs as they are with Bagan and Bacuna as full backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

Don't see the point in moving Nelson. Just creates another issue. Leave the two centre backs as they are with Bagan and Bacuna as full backs.
    This. Although it seems take Bennett will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    This. Although it seems take Bennett will be available.
    I hope Bennett is actually ready, rather thank being rushed back! If he is out for a few weeks again, we are in a bit of a hole!

I wonder if he goes for 3 at the back , with the new lad Benkovic included , would be great to see Bagan involved , I just wonder if Bournemouth as the opposition maybe a considered too much of a risk .

If we can't play Bagan a youth player as 3rd choice then we need to scrap the youth system and Harris needs to stop pretending he is interested in youth.

Let's hope he doesn't do 3 at the back because as a manager that's his biggest flaw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54616061

It seems that we're planning to play Bacuna at left-back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54616061

It seems that we're planning to play Bacuna at left-back.
    Surely Bagan on the bench at least