+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: reminiscences...

reminiscences...

In an idle afternoon I went through my bookshelf......and came across an old mid seventies publication about Ponty and Pop....anyone remember those from Gren? Acknowledgies to the following:

Amazing memories....Aberflyarff...The Golden Dap......Bromide Lil.....Byline Hopkins.......Neville the sheep.....and all the other characters....and of course the local businesses!

Artie choke...greengrocer
    Val Derma - beauty salon
    Cass Tella - tobacconist
    Robin Usblind - Tax Consultant
    Dermot Itis - Chemist
    Murray Mint - sweetshop
    Ann Teak - Furniture restoration
    Ray Bidd - Vet
    Paul Bearer - undertaker
    Minnie Stroney - Soup Kitchen
    Nesta Ratz - Fish and Chips
    Rhoda Dendron - florist

The Rev Benny Diction...

...a little aside...."what's the difference between a Welsh soccer fan and a Welsh rugby fan?".......
    East mun innit....A Welsh rugby fan thinks QPR is JPR's brother.....

....you know how coppers say 'hallo hallo hallo....first happened in South Wales......and they named a place after it....TREALAW......get it??

Ah...memories...getting old....

.....great memories...

Re: reminiscences...

I used to enjoy when this Board was focused on Cardiff City Football Club rather than this frippery

In an attempt to post positively , used to love The Football Echo its seemed such a different life back then , I'm sure it wasn't ?

Gren was a very good cartoonist but was far too much of a rugby mafia type to me , like Dan o Neill, Mario basini and the cringeworthy Frank Hennesey

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    In an attempt to post positively , used to love The Football Echo its seemed such a different life back then , I'm sure it wasn't ?
    Loved the football echo

Long before its demise it lost huge numbers due to us being stuck in the lower leagues

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Loved the football echo

Long before its demise it lost huge numbers due to us being stuck in the lower leagues
    Fond memories of getting The Pink 'Un at Birmingham New Street on the way back from an away day.

Gren was a very good cartoonist but was far too much of a rugby mafia type to me , like Dan o Neill, Mario basini and the cringeworthy Frank Hennesey
    He was good enough to let me adapt one of his strips for an issue of TBL many years ago. Went into the Echo building, and had a good long chat with him. Nice bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    He was good enough to let me adapt one of his strips for an issue of TBL many years ago. Went into the Echo building, and had a good long chat with him. Nice bloke.
    his character is not in question but he had little interest in Cardiff city , like so many other cardiff residents and people in the media

Loved the football echo, Joe Lovejoy wrote with such passion about
    The city.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I used to enjoy when this Board was focused on Cardiff City Football Club rather than this frippery
    Ouch!!

International

Loved the football echo

That sound like you're implying City being lower led to its downfall. I don't think we have ever been that influential, even in a negative way.

I used to love buying the Football Echo after watching the City. Go the game at NP, a few pints in the Corp before and after, then I'd stop off at the newsagents on Llandaff road on my walk home.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    Loved the football echo, Joe Lovejoy wrote with such passion about
    The city.
    My favourite newspaper through the ages and myfirst bit of work. Me and my mate used to come home from City games and sell the Pink Un outside Abertridwr Workmans Hall, Our delivery route afterwards included a guy we called Jack Russia. As cocky kids we indulged him as we delivered it up to his flat but it was only after his passing that I understood the role he played in the International Brigade during the Spanish Civil War. Big regret that I didn't pay more attention to his reminiscences!

It's funny the memories that stick in your mind for no reason but I remember walking up to the newsagents in Hawthorn with my uncle to get the Football Echo after City had played at Halifax. We knew the score was one all but didn't know the scorer. It turned out to be Mike Englands only goal for us. Amazing these days that you can actually see the goal often within seconds of it happening and yet 45 years ago you were desperate to read a report a couple of hours later.