+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Wi-fi in Garage

O/T Wi-fi in Garage

I’ve just converted my detached garage and all looking good, but I’ve realised the Wi-fi signal is not that great - it’s about 7-8 metres from the hub but I’ve left the garage door in situ and I don’t know if this is the problem.
    Any suggestions? My hub is in the hallway and I have a dining room at the back of the house which is nearer to the garage. Can I just get a booster or do I need to run a cable?
    Thanks for any suggestions

Re: O/T Wi-fi in Garage

I would run a Cat 5 Cable and put a wifi hotspot on the end of it

Put the hotspot in the garage?
    Would a CAT5 be ok outside for a couple of metres?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I’ve just converted my detached garage and all looking good, but I’ve realised the Wi-fi signal is not that great - it’s about 7-8 metres from the hub but I’ve left the garage door in situ and I don’t know if this is the problem.
    Any suggestions? My hub is in the hallway and I have a dining room at the back of the house which is nearer to the garage. Can I just get a booster or do I need to run a cable?
    If you have a power socket in your garage (I'd assume that you do) then look at a Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit.

I use this throughout our house to spread the wifi signal as the kits use the electrical wiring in your house to transmit the broadband signal from the initial transmitter (close to and connected to your broadband router via and ethernet cable) and then convert it to WiFi wherever you plug in the second transmitter (so the garage in your case).

I use a BT Halo hub to bounce my wi-fi signal to the beach bar at the end of my garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    If you have a power socket in your garage (I'd assume that you do) then look at a Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit.

I use this throughout our house to spread the wifi signal as the kits use the electrical wiring in your house to transmit the broadband signal from the initial transmitter (close to and connected to your broadband router via and ethernet cable) and then convert it to WiFi wherever you plug in the second transmitter (so the garage in your case).
    Search on Amazon for TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi Booster/Hotspot, No Configuration Required, UK Plug - there is even a video that explains (far better than I have!) how they work.

This. Or if you have BT Halo, almost as good

Put the hotspot in the garage?
    Would a CAT5 be ok outside for a couple of metres?
    I have run 40 M down my garden

Run a cat5 cable from your router, to something like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Conv...3210722&sr=8-6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Plug-W...kAAOSwUd9fCA9c

You happy with the garage conversion then ? ? ?

You can use plug in decent boosters like Netgear that come as a pair and connect to your main box and then have cable links running from you extender in your garage or use the wi fi , signals through outside walls can be weakened by the material in walls such
    as metals as your signal would be weakened through outside walls if you used plug in boosters.

One thing I'd check before buying a booster google to see if its compatible with your box .

https://top5-wifiboosters.com/uk/bes...140302904_wifi extender_p&aff_sub4=_459864453763&aff_sub5=&geoid=9045370&device=t&devicemodel=&urlid={creativefinalurls}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYfXi8zD7AIVze7tCh0Hxg4GEAAYASAA EgIfmvD_BwE

I purchased this one and had in for years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-PLP1000-100UKS-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter-dp-B01N3YCC7R/dp/B01N3YCC7R/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks Bob sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    You happy with the garage conversion then ? ? ?
    Yep, it’s good thanks. Took your advice regarding the positioning of the studs, and use of vapour block and insulation.

Thanks Bob sounds good!
    Pair of these are perfect

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

When setting up use the Clone option and you will have seamless wifi so you connect to your home network and when you go to the garage the same network continues.

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/2020...G_REV5.0.0.pdf

I've set up a triple set in a large farmhouse and they have full wi-fi all over the house

Can get a plug-in booster that won't require cables. The network name will be different though.

I have just moved house and the virgin router is utter garbage and the signal upstairs is next to useless. I did a bit of research and found mesh systems which cover a much bigger area. So I went for a Tenda Nova MW6-3 - paid about £120 from Amazon warehouse as the box was damaged. It is superb. Can get wi-fi in the garage, bottom of the garden and full signal about 50m up the road still. Admittedly they are a bit expensive but they work flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I have just moved house and the virgin router is utter garbage and the signal upstairs is next to useless. I did a bit of research and found mesh systems which cover a much bigger area. So I went for a Tenda Nova MW6-3 - paid about £120 from Amazon warehouse as the box was damaged. It is superb. Can get wi-fi in the garage, bottom of the garden and full signal about 50m up the road still. Admittedly they are a bit expensive but they work flawlessly.
    Could it run alongside existng set up routers and connection such as a Netgear wi fi extender

If you're using plug in adapters make sure they are on the same ring or it'll not work.

If you go down the hotspot route just change the network name, password and encryption to the same as your current home router and you should automatically connect.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    If you're using plug in adapters make sure they are on the same ring or it'll not work.
    A external garage power would normally be on its own MCB

A external garage power would normally be on its own MCB
    Yes I think it is - it has its own mini fuse box.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Could it run alongside existng set up routers and connection such as a Netgear wi fi extender
    Yep - it plugs directly into your current router. So you can have your BT/Virgin/Sky router running it's own wi-fi and then this along side it. It reckons it is best not to do this but mine is fine.

Yes I think it is - it has its own mini fuse box.
    the powerlines wouldnt work then

the powerlines wouldnt work then
    Agree. I have the same problem. Old cottage with 3 foot walls on 1 circuit, modern extension on another circuit. I have had to use a combination of mains adaptors and BT halo to get whole house coverage. BT halo is not cheap so looking for an alternative solution when my contract expires in February

Thanks for the advice chaps - I don't really want to run a cable from my existing hub to the garage as there is a gap between the two of about three metres - also means I'd have to either drill a hole in the outside wall or try and utilize the inbound cable box somehow - all seems too much hassle.

A plug in wifi extender sounds like a good solution - I could put that in my kitchen which is half way between the hub and where I need the signal - also avoids the metal garage door.

If I get one of these ( there are loads ) what am I looking for in terms of best performance is?

One company on amazon has 6 options that range from £13 to £83...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WA850RE-...3273555&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Agree. I have the same problem. Old cottage with 3 foot walls on 1 circuit, modern extension on another circuit. I have had to use a combination of mains adaptors and BT halo to get whole house coverage. BT halo is not cheap so looking for an alternative solution when my contract expires in February
    What does Halo do that BT Hubs don't - I've got BT Fibre to cabinet at the mo

What does Halo do that BT Hubs don't - I've got BT Fibre to cabinet at the mo
    Halo is a wifi extender. Disks that you plug in at various points around the house to extend the wifi coverage. The mains adaptors are used to plug LAN cables into (my TV, home office etc)