+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Championship this time around

The Championship this time around

I’m on hols this week so have a bit of time on my hands.
    Just looking at last night’s games there was a real dearth of goals. It’s the way of things in the Championship this season.

To date only 130 goals have been scored in 67 games at an average of 1.94 per game.
    In the PL 172 goals have been scored from just 48 games at an average of 3.58 per game. So on average you will see nearly twice as many goals in a PL game.

Re: The Championship this time around

There are not many world class defenders in the PL, as all the clubs seem to be focusing on flair/creative players, so the attackers are invariably coming out on top.

I think the Championship is more of a leveller where most players are championship level, the exceptions being maybe David Brooks, Todd Cantwell & Harry Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’m on hols this week so have a bit of time on my hands.
    Just looking at last night’s games there was a real dearth of goals. It’s the way of things in the Championship this season.

To date only 130 goals have been scored in 67 games at an average of 1.94 per game.
    In the PL 172 goals have been scored from just 48 games at an average of 3.58 per game. So on average you will see nearly twice as many goals in a PL game.
    I noticed that there was only one on target effort in the wurzels match with Middlesbrough last night. Wycombe look like they could get detached from the rest, but it seems the Championship is even more competitive than normal this season and, based on the pretty limited amount of it I've seen so far, it's not coming across as a great spectacle.

I think your mob have a good chance this season, I didn't see the whole of the game down here, but, from what I saw, you were pretty comfortable against us and am I right in saying that our goal is the only one you've conceded in the league so far?

The PL this season seems to have had tonnes of goals, is it that that's unusual rather than the championship?

Championship last season had an average of 2.63 goals per game

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I noticed that there was only one on target effort in the wurzels match with Middlesbrough last night. Wycombe look like they could get detached from the rest, but it seems the Championship is even more competitive than normal this season and, based on the pretty limited amount of it I've seen so far, it's not coming across as a great spectacle.

I think your mob have a good chance this season, I didn't see the whole of the game down here, but, from what I saw, you were pretty comfortable against us and am I right in saying that our goal is the only one you've conceded in the league so far?
    Yes that’s the only goal we have conceded. I have to say we were dreadful in the first half last night. Defensively we are superb. Offensively bang average.
    What I’ve noticed though is that the standard of finishing in the Championship has been very poor this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Championship last season had an average of 2.63 goals per game

Yep so it’s well down this season and seems very defensive minded and I include Reading in that.

Yep so it’s well down this season and seems very defensive minded and I include Reading in that.
    I also think that any reasonably good attacking players are in the PL as well. There seems to be little creativity across the Championship this season, but more industry and graft.

Most Championship sides seem to adopt similar formations and midfields can get bogged down by mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also think that any reasonably good attacking players are in the PL as well. There seems to be little creativity across the Championship this season, but more industry and graft.

Most Championship sides seem to adopt similar formations and midfields can get bogged down by mediocrity.
    Yep agreed. The games I’ve watched have not been very entertaining.

It is still early in the season, and there was a strange pre-season. I think we'll see more sides try to attack as the season wears on and we see where everyone is.
    At the moment every game we go into we don't know if they're going to be good or crap this season.

Its not easy watch even the highlights ,or any league ,no crowd not football , this is just a real version of FIFA game football

In contrast the PL has been very entertaining.

In contrast the PL has been very entertaining.
    most of the top leagues seem to have been more open games