+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Glatzel

Glatzel

Seen loads of people slating him for not being strong and unable to win headers

He isn't a strong centre forward as we've been used to, but playing into feet and channels (which is where it seems where Harris is going) he looks very competent.

Agreed Moore suits us far more at the moment due to the midfield setup but if our wingers got beyond Glatzel and our midfield could keep up Glatzel would look far better.

He's not a bad player.

Re: Glatzel

Greg Cunningham said he was did extra training every day so good attitude and set to improve. Since return from lockdown, I think he's been very good and if he finds his shooting boots we have a very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

He isn't a strong centre forward as we've been used to, but playing into feet and channels (which is where it seems where Harris is going) he looks very competent.

Agreed Moore suits us far more at the moment due to the midfield setup but if our wingers got beyond Glatzel and our midfield could keep up Glatzel would look far better.

He's not a bad player.
    I agree, I think Glatzel has done well since fixtures resumed after the lockdown - his goalscoring record isn't great, but he's hardly the first City centre forward that could be said about in the last decade or so is he.

I think most sensible supporters can see where Glatzel's attributes are but why then does Hoilett insist on cutting back and lobbing an aimless ball into the box if it's clear that Glatzel cannot win an aerial duel?

Ojo does try to keep the ball on the deck but he can't seem to get his cross/pass past the first defender.

He's not a bad player.
    We all want City players to do well and Glatzel has had plenty of time.

The arrival of Moore has just highlighted Glatzel's shortcoming's I'm afraid. My eldest son was only saying during yesterday's game that normally you can describe a striker by at least being able to do one thing well (heading, holding the ball up, running the channels etc) and yet I can't think of anything that Glatzel does particularly well.

He isn't a goal scorer, he gives up possession way to easily/is easily dispossessed, and can't head the ball.

So what does he bring to the team? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it, especially now that we have good alternative options other than just playing Paterson up front......

Walesonline view:

Glatzel seizes his chance

There were perhaps a few eyebrows raised when Kieffer Moore, who had started life so brightly at Cardiff City, dropped down to the bench.

But Neil Harris has two very able strikers in his ranks and there are a cluster of games coming up, so rotation will be key and he knows that.

And for what it's worth, Robert Glatzel looked very good on his first league start of the season. He looked hungry and was champing at the bit.

He screamed for the ball when Sheyi Ojo broke down the wing and made lung-busting runs to create space for others.

Yes, he might not be as aerially dominant as Kieffer Moore, but his interplay with fellow attackers was a real positive for the Bluebirds.

He had a chance in the second half when he swivelled and managed to get a shot away from inside the box, but the effort was deflected wide and, with it, his chance to top a great performance with a goal had also vanished.

A goal might have made Neil Harris' decision very difficult for Saturday's visit of Middlesbrough.

But Cardiff are in very capable hands if these two vie for the striker's berth for the rest of the season, pushing one another on to be at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    We all want City players to do well and Glatzel has had plenty of time.

The arrival of Moore has just highlighted Glatzel's shortcoming's I'm afraid. My eldest son was only saying during yesterday's game that normally you can describe a striker by at least being able to do one thing well (heading, holding the ball up, running the channels etc) and yet I can't think of anything that Glatzel does particularly well.

He isn't a goal scorer, he gives up possession way to easily/is easily dispossessed, and can't head the ball.

So what does he bring to the team? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it, especially now that we have good alternative options other than just playing Paterson up front......
    I think we all want Glatzel to do well but I haven't seen any more to suggest that he's an average player at this level. At the top of his game he only just edged out a right back who was out of form. He isn't a target man and there's hope that, by having a better passing game, that it will suit him more.

How many last night saw his name on the team sheet and sighed? I did, though more at the loss of Moore than the inclusion of Glatzel, but that's where we're at. Moore has looked better than any other striker we've had in years, which says lots about the forwards we have brought in.

He's not a bad player.
    Totally agree. He gives a 100% but unfortunately I don’t think that he is getting the service. Hopefully the arrival of Wilson will improve our creativity and Glatzel is given more chances to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think we all want Glatzel to do well but I haven't seen any more to suggest that he's an average player at this level. At the top of his game he only just edged out a right back who was out of form. He isn't a target man and there's hope that, by having a better passing game, that it will suit him more.

How many last night saw his name on the team sheet and sighed? I did, though more at the loss of Moore than the inclusion of Glatzel, but that's where we're at. Moore has looked better than any other striker we've had in years, which says lots about the forwards we have brought in.
    I agree with this

Thought Glatzel did well for him, but not good enough to score goals at this level consistently. To be fair to him, as soon as he came off we were poor going forward. Moore struggled when coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgendbluebird1927 View Post
    Totally agree. He gives a 100% but unfortunately I don’t think that he is getting the service. Hopefully the arrival of Wilson will improve our creativity and Glatzel is given more chances to finish.
    I totally agree with above. Would be great to see both Wilson and Tomlin start, which could be the catalyst to some better finishing from our strikers.
    Sadly I cannot see it as Harris selections seem far more defensively minded for both to play in the starting 11.
    I just don’t see what Hoilett brings to the party ?