+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WAG to take over control of trains confirmed

Re: WAG to take over control of trains confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    This whole project is something that the WAG has clearly got right so far, now it’s up to them to complete it.

After the U.K. government gave it to Arriva trains in a shambolic 15 year deal (as usual) with no contracted passenger growth in 15 whole years, it has meant our railways are years behind, praise the lord for Westminster looking out for us... So worth all their due diligence.

It seems like KeolisAmey are still involved in the construction and track maintenance which is vital to the metro, hopefully within 3 years the network will be transformed. If this all goes to plan then TFW will have plenty to reinvest in the rest of the network.

https://youtu.be/3YKGqTBEAkQ
    a properly funded public transport system benefits everyone , even those who don't use it !

Its perfect

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Perhaps - if your understanding of economics is limited to civil servants and public sector workers = bad and private ownership = good, without understanding what can drive private companies to be more efficient, and what happens when it isn't there.

Sadly there seem to be some in the Tory party who have a similarly shallow understanding, which is perhaps how we ended up with the kind of privatization that we did.
    its not a shallow understanding. I'm not against public sector oversight, i just think the public sector worker doesn't have the right skills or training to make a success of what is a commercial operation.

Feedback

This whole project is something that the WAG has clearly got right so far, now it’s up to them to complete it.

After the U.K. government gave it to Arriva trains in a shambolic 15 year deal (as usual) with no contracted passenger growth in 15 whole years, it has meant our railways are years behind, praise the lord for Westminster looking out for us... So worth all their due diligence.

It seems like KeolisAmey are still involved in the construction and track maintenance which is vital to the metro, hopefully within 3 years the network will be transformed. If this all goes to plan then TFW will have plenty to reinvest in the rest of the network.

https://youtu.be/3YKGqTBEAkQ
    really? what have WG delivered re the metro?

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    its not a shallow understanding. I'm not against public sector oversight, i just think the public sector worker doesn't have the right skills or training to make a success of what is a commercial operation.
    What is a public sector worker? Are they all general public sector workers? Of course not, but it fits your narrative once again.

Surely if the public sector end up taking over, they'd then employ people fit for the roles required. Surely there's no difference there? You're not going to have Gary from housing suddenly driving a train or Maureen, the dinner lady, scheduling routes.

there is no difference between a public sector worker and a private sector worker, people just behave in whichever way they are incentivised.

They've started it which is more than can be said for WG in the past.

I don't think they can be critisised on that at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...nment-19145493

I think this is potentially a good thing with a massive risk attached to it

What annoys me the most is with services like this, we allow private companies to milk it when times are good and then bail things out when they're bad.

Always at the tail end of the deal
    The truth is the Welsh Governement through Transport for Wales took all the big decisions anyway. The railways were run by a Civil Servant. Keolis Amey were really unhappy that Keolis Amey (Transport for Wales Rail) that they got the blame when things went wrong and the WG tried to take credit when (rarely) something positive happened. Most insiders belieive that Keolis Amey would have pulled out anyway at some point. To be truly effective they now need someone who is not a Civil Servant to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    The truth is the Welsh Governement through Transport for Wales took all the big decisions anyway. The railways were run by a Civil Servant. Keolis Amey were really unhappy that Keolis Amey (Transport for Wales Rail) were very unhappy that they got the blame when things went wrong and the WG tried to take credit when (rarely) something positive happened. Most insiders beieive that Keolis Amey would have pulled out anyway at some point. To be truly effective they now need someone who is not a Civil Servant to run them.
    Transport for London do something similar.

The truth is the Welsh Governement through Transport for Wales took all the big decisions anyway. The railways were run by a Civil Servant. Keolis Amey were really unhappy that Keolis Amey (Transport for Wales Rail) were very unhappy that they got the blame when things went wrong and the WG tried to take credit when (rarely) something positive happened. Most insiders beieive that Keolis Amey would have pulled out anyway at some point. To be truly effective they now need someone who is not a Civil Servant to run them.
    You obviously are more informed than myself but wasn't it lauded when Keolis Amey took over?

I wonder if there's no penalty for KA to cease either knowing the WAG

Considering KeolisAmey only took over the franchise in late 2018 and the U.K. government only transferred the ownership of the core valley lines to WAG about 3 months ago, they haven’t exactly had much of an opportunity to make any major infrastructure improvements.

These are some of the improvements planned by 2023 (which has been always been the plan, no HS2 timescales)

https://tfwrail.wales/about-us/transport-for-wales

You obviously are more informed than myself but wasn't it lauded when Keolis Amey took over?

I wonder if there's no penalty for KA to cease either knowing the WAG
    I am not coming at this from a TISS angle, god forbid. But Transport for Wales is run by a Civil Servant. if you look at WG scrutiny committees on Transport it was the Civil Servant who answered all the questions. Yet when the trains failed to run on time or when they breached Welsh Language guidelines TfW pointed the finger at TfW Rail Services ( Keolis Amey) and actually fined them. But they were always working with one arm tied behind their back. Privately KA regretted getting involved - except perhaps from the infrastructure side.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It was more of your usual private sector bollocks though so it got the response it deserved

Privatisation in most cases led to in most cases not the cream rising to the top for the benefit of all but a few private firms acting in almost a monopoly or two or three to rake in the cash , crap service and increasing fares

Trains , buses , care services .....the private companies providing these are raking it in whilst paying staff minimum wage on zero hours contracts ......

Welcome to the wonders of the market place

I didn't vote for it so bollocks to it
    and British Rail before it, whilst in public ownership, was a shining light on rail operation anywhere in the world.

the UK rail system is a shambles, it has been for years, and going back to public ownership won't change that.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What is a public sector worker? Are they all general public sector workers? Of course not, but it fits your narrative once again.

Surely if the public sector end up taking over, they'd then employ people fit for the roles required. Surely there's no difference there? You're not going to have Gary from housing suddenly driving a train or Maureen, the dinner lady, scheduling routes.
    so you agree with me, its best not to have public sector workers near the operation, and bringing in those with experience of business is the way forward.

it was a hard slog, but we get there in the end.

Feedback

They've started it which is more than can be said for WG in the past.

I don't think they can be critisised on that at the moment
    they've been talking about it for more than a decade. Talk is cheap.

Feedback

The truth is the Welsh Governement through Transport for Wales took all the big decisions anyway. The railways were run by a Civil Servant. Keolis Amey were really unhappy that Keolis Amey (Transport for Wales Rail) that they got the blame when things went wrong and the WG tried to take credit when (rarely) something positive happened. Most insiders belieive that Keolis Amey would have pulled out anyway at some point. To be truly effective they now need someone who is not a Civil Servant to run them.
    BLASPHEMY

Feedback

Considering KeolisAmey only took over the franchise in late 2018 and the U.K. government only transferred the ownership of the core valley lines to WAG about 3 months ago, they haven’t exactly had much of an opportunity to make any major infrastructure improvements.

These are some of the improvements planned by 2023 (which has been always been the plan, no HS2 timescales)

https://tfwrail.wales/about-us/transport-for-wales
    As I said, its been nearly ten years of bluster. anyone can say what they want to achieve, we will have to wait and see what WG deliver.

BLASPHEMY
    But my opinion does not come from an ideological perspective. It comes from understanding who is involved. There are some very innovative and commercially minded public servants out there. There are others who just know how to cover their arse. Just like anywhere else really!

As I said, its been nearly ten years of bluster. anyone can say what they want to achieve, we will have to wait and see what WG deliver.
    But why would WAG build/invest in something they don’t own or gain any income from? Once they own the infrastructure and it’s devolved they can invest as it is their asset.

Westminster have taken 11 years to get shovels in the ground for HS2 while blowing the budget multiple times before they are even started.

It’s a U.K. way of doing things, slow, late and over budget. That’s why Europe is years ahead in infrastructure, not to mention Asia.

they've been talking about it for more than a decade. Talk is cheap.
    There's a new train depot flying up as we speak for the stabling and maintenance of the new rolling stock

Feedback

But my opinion does not come from an ideological perspective. It comes from understanding who is involved. There are some very innovative and commercially minded public servants out there. There are others who just know how to cover their arse. Just like anywhere else really!
    mine opinion is based on working with them and not ideology. half are too scared to make a decision.

Feedback

But why would WAG build/invest in something they don’t own or gain any income from? Once they own the infrastructure and it’s devolved they can invest as it is their asset.

Westminster have taken 11 years to get shovels in the ground for HS2 while blowing the budget multiple times before they are even started.

It’s a U.K. way of doing things, slow, late and over budget. That’s why Europe is years ahead in infrastructure, not to mention Asia.
    that really does not make it acceptable. WG could have broke the mould but instead we get the same old public sector lethargy

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    There's a new train depot flying up as we speak for the stabling and maintenance of the new rolling stock
    well there we are then, lets all go and sell our cars as all our prayers have been answered.

There are clearly things starting to happen, just judging by the number of jobs I see advertised for project management and engineering roles for TFW

well there we are then, lets all go and sell our cars as all our prayers have been answered.
    Obnoxious clown 🤡

Feedback

Obnoxious clown 🤡
    Pray tell how building a depot solves the public transport problem?