+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WAG to take over control of trains confirmed

WAG to take over control of trains confirmed

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...nment-19145493

I think this is potentially a good thing with a massive risk attached to it

What annoys me the most is with services like this, we allow private companies to milk it when times are good and then bail things out when they're bad.

Always at the tail end of the deal

Re: WAG to take over control of trains confirmed

Something had to be done.
    The railway services have been a shambles for decades.
    Not holding my breath as short of a major overhaul, I see a continuation of the poor and expensive service.
    The "quick fix" mentality never works.

Feedback

more spraff from the politicians. The metro idea has been around for over a decade and in that time all we've had are trains given a paint job. If we had as much activity with boots on the ground as we did with the WG's PR department, we'd have a public transport system on a parallel to Berlin

It'd be interesting to see the financial implications of ending the franchise early.

To me it makes sense to be state run as there isn't competition on a day to day basis.

If i stroll down to Ponty station I can only get on a TFW train, therefore the market pressures that drive efficiency in a well functioning market just don't exist - so the advantage of the market over public ownership is evaporated.
    The theory is that firms compete for franchises - but that's only once every 20 years, and the years in-between there's nothing.

I'd like to see it state run, but with pseudo market-forces introduced.

Offer bonuses across the workforce based on service, price etc compared with the rest of the network or perhaps other countries.
    If our trains are the cheapest to use and the most punctual then everyone gets a bonus etc.

There hasn't been a penny coming in for 7 months something had to give with no end in site when passenger numbers can return

Nationalise the trains , buses , gas , water , electricity etc and bring back social care into local authority teams instead of allowing private companies to make huge profits in delivering shit services

Naff off thatcher

She's a sort

Feedback

seriously top end scrunt

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It'd be interesting to see the financial implications of ending the franchise early.

To me it makes sense to be state run as there isn't competition on a day to day basis.

If i stroll down to Ponty station I can only get on a TFW train, therefore the market pressures that drive efficiency in a well functioning market just don't exist - so the advantage of the market over public ownership is evaporated.
    The theory is that firms compete for franchises - but that's only once every 20 years, and the years in-between there's nothing.

Offer bonuses across the workforce based on service, price etc compared with the rest of the network or perhaps other countries.
    If our trains are the cheapest to use and the most punctual then everyone gets a bonus etc.
    as long as you keep all civil servants and public sector workers well away from the running of the company, and public ownership is exactly that, as a shareholder, then it could work. The moment you get civil servants and public sector workers trying to deliver competitive services, you accept failure.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    as long as you keep all civil servants and public sector workers well away from the running of the company, and public ownership is exactly that, as a shareholder, then it could work. The moment you get civil servants and public sector workers trying to deliver competitive services, you accept failure.
    Bollocks.

Arse

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bollocks.
    touched a nerve. I've worked with many a civil servant and public sector worker, and they haven't got the first idea of what drives a commercial operation

It's been exactly the same with buses. Around the UK there are routes and areas that have such great demand that operators can compete and make a profit. Around South Wales that's certainly not the case. Operators avoid competition with each other as they lose income by competing on routes that don't provide the revenue.

Bus companies cut back on marginal routes but will spend and enhance the most profitable ones. Back in the days where it was publically owned, there were requirements to provide those marginal bus services, so people in remote or small places still had access to public transport. When bus operators trim these marginal routes, usually the local council end up offering them out to contract, often to less reliable operators who don't offer integrated tickets for people who need to use another bus afterwards.

Bus companies are happy to make decent profits on busy routes but they're also happy to ask for council money to continue routes that don't perform. That's not good for the passenger or the public purse.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Arse
    what a well thought out and educated response.

touched a nerve. I've worked with many a civil servant and public sector worker, and they haven't got the first idea of what drives a commercial operation
    I'm sure you have, just to fit your narrative of private = good, public = bad.

You are Feedback and I claim my £200 for passing go!

what a well thought out and educated response.
    It was more of your usual private sector bollocks though so it got the response it deserved

Privatisation in most cases led to in most cases not the cream rising to the top for the benefit of all but a few private firms acting in almost a monopoly or two or three to rake in the cash , crap service and increasing fares

Trains , buses , care services .....the private companies providing these are raking it in whilst paying staff minimum wage on zero hours contracts ......

Welcome to the wonders of the market place

I didn't vote for it so bollocks to it

I totally agree with you it would just need the WAG to grow some bollocks for once

Made a balls up? Sorry they should be sacked as you would in a private company

Commerciality? There’s no 22 minute past 10 bus from Blaina to Abertwsswg? Sorry tough.

It’s been easy for public sector to bury the head in the sand in the past and fair play to the WAG for taking this on board.

The fact they’re looking at using a multi ticket system is a huge huge benefit for the population

It's been exactly the same with buses. Around the UK there are routes and areas that have such great demand that operators can compete and make a profit. Around South Wales that's certainly not the case. Operators avoid competition with each other as they lose income by competing on routes that don't provide the revenue.

Bus companies cut back on marginal routes but will spend and enhance the most profitable ones. Back in the days where it was publically owned, there were requirements to provide those marginal bus services, so people in remote or small places still had access to public transport. When bus operators trim these marginal routes, usually the local council end up offering them out to contract, often to less reliable operators who don't offer integrated tickets for people who need to use another bus afterwards.

Bus companies are happy to make decent profits on busy routes but they're also happy to ask for council money to continue routes that don't perform. That's not good for the passenger or the public purse.
    nail on the head

Some towns in the valleys are very isolated and since bus privatisation have been abandoned

You want to get a bus from Bridgend to Cardiff ? Walk this way sir , here is your seat

You live in the upper Ogmore valley and want to go into Bridgend to go shopping ? Next Thursday mate

Perhaps - if your understanding of economics is limited to civil servants and public sector workers = bad and private ownership = good, without understanding what can drive private companies to be more efficient, and what happens when it isn't there.

Sadly there seem to be some in the Tory party who have a similarly shallow understanding, which is perhaps how we ended up with the kind of privatization that we did.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I totally agree with you it would just need the WAG to grow some bollocks for once

Made a balls up? Sorry they should be sacked as you would in a private company

Commerciality? There’s no 22 minute past 10 bus from Blaina to Abertwsswg? Sorry tough.

It’s been easy for public sector to bury the head in the sand in the past and fair play to the WAG for taking this on board.

The fact they’re looking at using a multi ticket system is a huge huge benefit for the population
    That's part of the reason for the bonus system I suggested.

If someone's swinging the lead, it might be annoying to you but most people don't do anything about it.

If your bonus, and their bosses bonus is likely to be affected by it then I'm sure you'd see far less tolerance of that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nationalise the trains , buses , gas , water , electricity etc and bring back social care into local authority teams instead of allowing private companies to make huge profits in delivering shit services

Naff off thatcher
    Absolutely agree 100%

This whole project is something that the WAG has clearly got right so far, now it’s up to them to complete it.

After the U.K. government gave it to Arriva trains in a shambolic 15 year deal (as usual) with no contracted passenger growth in 15 whole years, it has meant our railways are years behind, praise the lord for Westminster looking out for us... So worth all their due diligence.

It seems like KeolisAmey are still involved in the construction and track maintenance which is vital to the metro, hopefully within 3 years the network will be transformed. If this all goes to plan then TFW will have plenty to reinvest in the rest of the network.

https://youtu.be/3YKGqTBEAkQ

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Absolutely agree 100%
    There was plenty of things wrong in the past but the use of the market place to deliver essential services is the road to hell

Feedback

I'm sure you have, just to fit your narrative of private = good, public = bad.
    I never said private = good, public = bad, you did. The public sector should stick to delivering public sector services, and leave the running of business to those who understand it.
    You are Feedback and I claim my £200 for passing go![/QUOTE]
    what do you want, a bunty badge?