+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC TELEPRINTER

BBC TELEPRINTER

One for you oldies. I'm not sure when the BBC results service was modernised but how many of you remember the Teleprinter on Grandstand, which was one of the forerunners of today's Final Score ?

Presumably a typist was clacking away on her typewriter in the background (or was it Telex) and the scores would gradually appear letter by letter, number by number on your screen. Coverage of any matches outside of Division 1 was sketchy at the time so unless you listened to the radio, you didn't really have a clue how your team was doing, especially in away matches.

My favourite score as it slowly appeared on my black and white TV ? That's easy......

Fulham 1 Cardiff 5.

Unfortunately we got beaten 2-0 by them in the reverse fixture, thus scuppering our promotion chances in 1968-69 but that's another story....

Re: BBC TELEPRINTER

I used to love it when the score would have to be written out like: BRISTOL CITY 0 CARDIFF CITY 6 (SIX)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I used to love it when the score would have to be written out like: BRISTOL CITY 0 CARDIFF CITY 6 (SIX)
    That was much, much later but would have been joyful to see !

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What was the threshold for having it in letters as well as numbers? Five?

I’m not a patient person, it is fair to say. I do not know how I survived as a teenager, with that and waiting for teletext to scroll through three pages to get updates. Or cricket by teletext. Jesus. I’m irate now if my illegal live stream is 30 seconds behind. I spent hours of my life watching cricket on teletext. And waiting for computer games to load.

Watching live games on ceefax could be quite exciting actually

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What was the threshold for having it in letters as well as numbers? Five?

I’m not a patient person, it is fair to say. I do not know how I survived as a teenager, with that and waiting for teletext to scroll through three pages to get updates. Or cricket by teletext. Jesus. I’m irate now if my illegal live stream is 30 seconds behind. I spent hours of my life watching cricket on teletext. And waiting for computer games to load.
    I thought it was 7 (seven), not at six.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Watching live games on ceefax could be quite exciting actually
    Even more exciting when you had a crappy reception and there was a letter in the score, so you had to wait for the pages to come round again to fix it.

Charlton 7 (Seven) Huddersfield 6. Circa 1957 and Charlton were 5-1 down into the second half

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's my memory too. I always assumed it was because a 7 (seven) could look a bit like a 1 (one)...

International

I recall watching it one saturday and the word "fire" came up, then nothing else.

It transpired the alarm had gone off where ever they were printing the scores and some guy had paused to type Fire before running out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_V4...nnel=NeilMiles

I thought it was 7 (seven) as well but this one has a 6 SIX. This is the first vidiprinter I can remember, likewise the results board. Cardiff's result comes in as he's reading them out! The suspense!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_V4...nnel=NeilMiles

I thought it was 7 (seven) as well but this one has a 6 SIX. This is the first vidiprinter I can remember, likewise the results board. Cardiff's result comes in as he's reading them out! The suspense!
    Gosh that brings back some memories

The picture of the reporter on the phone

In case anyone's wondering, we won the late kick off 2-1 against middlesborough

Forfar 5 (FIVE) East Fife 4 (FOUR)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    East Fife 4 Forfar 5 - the comedy result that finally came true (on penalties) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Pretty sure you're correct, as in:-
    Oldham 1 Cardiff 7 (Seven)

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's my memory too. I always assumed it was because a 7 (seven) could look a bit like a 1 (one)...
    I'm going with your theory, for years i thought it was because it was such a shocking scoreline, sort of like silently mouthing it to someone else with that look of ridicule on your face, obviously not, although the thought is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    One for you oldies. I'm not sure when the BBC results service was modernised but how many of you remember the Teleprinter on Grandstand, which was one of the forerunners of today's Final Score ?

Presumably a typist was clacking away on her typewriter in the background (or was it Telex) and the scores would gradually appear letter by letter, number by number on your screen. Coverage of any matches outside of Division 1 was sketchy at the time so unless you listened to the radio, you didn't really have a clue how your team was doing, especially in away matches.

My favourite score as it slowly appeared on my black and white TV ? That's easy......

Fulham 1 Cardiff 5.

Unfortunately we got beaten 2-0 by them in the reverse fixture, thus scuppering our promotion chances in 1968-69 but that's another story....

I was there at Craven Cottage that day. Don Murray committed one of the worst challenges (on Vic Hallom) I've seen on a football pitch. I still have the Pink Un from that weekend. The headline read: "City Sizzle and Batter Fulham." The City fans were housed behind the opposite goals than today.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

I was there at Craven Cottage that day. Don Murray committed one of the worst challenges (on Vic Hallom) I've seen on a football pitch. I still have the Pink Un from that weekend. The headline read: "City Sizzle and Batter Fulham." The City fans were housed behind the opposite goals than today.

StT.
    <><
    I am green with envy just reading your post ! And believe it or not I remember that headline too. It's up there with "Slick City give Pompey a pounding".

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

StT.
    <><
    Us and the Fulham mob were both on the Hammersmith End (their end), we were on there quite early and the few Fulham fans there then were telling us that when their no.1 heavy, whose name was Tank, turned up we’d soon scarper. Not sure if he turned up, we didn’t scarper, City won 5-1 after going one down. How we enjoyed turning their ‘Fulham 1, Cardiff 0 hallelujah’ song into 5 other verses

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Us and the Fulham mob were both on the Hammersmith End (their end), we were on there quite early and the few Fulham fans there then were telling us that when their no.1 heavy, whose name was Tank, turned up we’d soon scarper. Not sure if he turned up, we didn’t scarper, City won 5-1 after going one down. How we enjoyed turning their ‘Fulham 1, Cardiff 0 hallelujah’ song into 5 other verses
    Did Tosh and Peter King score some of the goals ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Did Tosh and Peter King score some of the goals ?
    Can’t recall but would imagine that Tosh and Clarky scored, Ronnie Bird may have as well, Bluetit may remember, he was with me that day I’m sure. Great day out that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Gosh that brings back some memories

The picture of the reporter on the phone

In case anyone's wondering, we won the late kick off 2-1 against middlesborough
    The very analogue way the score was dialled around and even when it stopped on 1 for Boro, you still had to wait a second to see if they'd finished. A real tender hooks moment.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn’t ‘Tank‘ also the leader of the hapless Swansea Yoof?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Wasn’t ‘Tank‘ also the leader of the hapless Swansea Yoof?
    Maybe it all stems from Cockney rhyming slang

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm going with your theory, for years i thought it was because it was such a shocking scoreline, sort of like silently mouthing it to someone else with that look of ridicule on your face, obviously not, although the thought is appealing.