+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBC TELEPRINTER

Re: BBC TELEPRINTER

I used to have a giggle when they upgraded the teleprinter to a screen - and added the teleprinter noise!
    (as they do in many computer-based film scenes )

I used to stand in Dixons watching Ceefax refresh minute by minute.

So exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I am green with envy just reading your post ! And believe it or not I remember that headline too. It's up there with "Slick City give Pompey a pounding".

How times change. Reading posts about Ceefax and the like, I can remember for many a long day walking down to the bottom of my village, going into the red telephone box and phoning the Bluebirds' Club at Ninian Park and hoping someone would answer and tell me the score. Memories.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I thought it was 7 (seven), not at six.
    I always thought it was six because it could be mistaken for a zero. Not sure though.

Not the teleprinter, but the more modern videprinter showing a six spelled out.Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.49.28 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I always thought it was six because it could be mistaken for a zero. Not sure though.
    'twas 6 (SIX). Port Vale 6 (SIX) Cardiff City 1 is still etched in my memory. We beat them 3-0 in the return fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Watching live games on ceefax could be quite exciting actually
    Often more exciting that watching them at NP 😉

And page 312 ‘In Brief’ remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Often more exciting that watching them at NP 😉

And page 312 ‘In Brief’ remember.
    Although when you wanted to look at the table and you're distracted while the bit of the table you wanted is on and have to wait for it to roll around another 7 pages

No brackets for Walsall who scored 6 (six)

https://youtu.be/Bgf2SBhlDCA

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    No brackets for Walsall who scored 6 (six)

https://youtu.be/Bgf2SBhlDCA
    We played York City on the Friday night, beat them 2 1. Crowd just over 2000

It was when I couldn't see the results as quickly on the vidiprinter as my mates, that i went to the opticians for an eye test.

The optician said I was the first person to ever be that precise as to how I knew my eyesight had deteriorated.

Although when you wanted to look at the table and you're distracted while the bit of the table you wanted is on and have to wait for it to roll around another 7 pages

OMG, that happened ALL the time.

Unless of course you managed to find and then press the 'Hold' button in time.

On Ceefax, if there was only one game, they'd double the size of the lettering, which somehow made reading Cardiff 0 Hayes 0 twice as painful (though not as painful as being there, I expect).

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    OMG, that happened ALL the time.

Unless of course you managed to find and then press the 'Hold' button in time.
    About 30 seconds a page. Sometimes youd risk leaving the room for a few minutes, hoping to come back in at the right time, but more often than not youd miss it again.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Forfar 4 (four) East Fife 5 (five)

It was always a nerve racking afternoon following your team in the 70s especially away. Your heart would race when the printer put D2 (we were mostly in this league) then the club we were playing, then you would hope for a 0 or 1, then Cardiff City then finally City’s score. If you missed this it could be going for the pink Football Echo to find out at about 6.30pm. The yoof have no idea what we went through.

I loved the way you could tell whether you'd won lost or draw before the score was announced, just by the way the announcer said the team names

Luton Town 7 (seven) Cardiff City 1
    Cardiff City 2 Cambridge United 7 (seven)
    ...was at both games..joy

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Us and the Fulham mob were both on the Hammersmith End (their end), we were on there quite early and the few Fulham fans there then were telling us that when their no.1 heavy, whose name was Tank, turned up we’d soon scarper. Not sure if he turned up, we didn’t scarper, City won 5-1 after going one down. How we enjoyed turning their ‘Fulham 1, Cardiff 0 hallelujah’ song into 5 other verses
    My first away game, I stood on the opposite end to you and was in the ground at some ridiculous hour like quarter past one. About half an hour later, I saw a group of City fans wander on to the Hammersmith End and start singing "we have taken over" - I can vouch for the fact they did not move from their spot near the middle of the stand right up until the crowd became too big to make them out, but, as the goals were going in, it was obvious that there were still quite large groups of City fans still there.

As for who scored, I've not looked it up, but I'm fairly sure Toshack got two, Brian Clark got one and I think Barrie Jones did as well - not so sure about who got the other one, but I have a feeling it may have been Les Lea.

I loved the way you could tell whether you'd won lost or draw before the score was announced, just by the way the announcer said the team names
    Yeah, the way he raised and lowered his voice gave a big clue to the result.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Yeah, the way he raised and lowered his voice gave a big clue to the result.
    It certainly did. Even a scoreless draw, you could tell it was going to be a stalemate by the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Can’t recall but would imagine that Tosh and Clarky scored, Ronnie Bird may have as well, Bluetit may remember, he was with me that day I’m sure. Great day out that was.
    I could remember Tosh scoring, actually I thought he scored 2.

But scorers were Clark, B. Jones 2, Tosh and Lea

Fabulous day out and still remember it every time we go there

Oh to be 17 again

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I could remember Tosh scoring, actually I thought he scored 2.

But scorers were Clark, B. Jones 2, Tosh and Lea

Fabulous day out and still remember it every time we go there

Oh to be 17 again
    See Barrie Jones got a couple. He was a lovely footballer to watch. Shame a broken leg ended his career. In one of my very rare away trips, he was the best player on the pitch against a Derby side that were promoted that season, with the likes of Kevin Hector and John O'Hare in their line-up. He smacked the bar with a 30 yarder and caused Derby problems every time he had the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    See Barrie Jones got a couple. He was a lovely footballer to watch. Shame a broken leg ended his career. In one of my very rare away trips, he was the best player on the pitch against a Derby side that were promoted that season, with the likes of Kevin Hector and John O'Hare in their line-up. He smacked the bar with a 30 yarder and caused Derby problems every time he had the ball.

From reading your post, not sure if you are saying Barrie was great at Derby, or saying he broke his leg there !

Barrie broke his leg at Blackpool.

Sorry in advance if I’ve misinterpreted your post

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    From reading your post, not sure if you are saying Barrie was great at Derby, or saying he broke his leg there !

Barrie broke his leg at Blackpool.

Sorry in advance if I’ve misinterpreted your post
    Yes, misinterpreted sorry !