+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BBC TELEPRINTER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: BBC TELEPRINTER

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    What was the threshold for having it in letters as well as numbers? Five?

I’m not a patient person, it is fair to say. I do not know how I survived as a teenager, with that and waiting for teletext to scroll through three pages to get updates. Or cricket by teletext. Jesus. I’m irate now if my illegal live stream is 30 seconds behind. I spent hours of my life watching cricket on teletext. And waiting for computer games to load.
    I thought it was 7 (seven), not at six.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's my memory too. I always assumed it was because a 7 (seven) could look a bit like a 1 (one)...

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's my memory too. I always assumed it was because a 7 (seven) could look a bit like a 1 (one)...
    I'm going with your theory, for years i thought it was because it was such a shocking scoreline, sort of like silently mouthing it to someone else with that look of ridicule on your face, obviously not, although the thought is appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I always thought it was six because it could be mistaken for a zero. Not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I always thought it was six because it could be mistaken for a zero. Not sure though.
    'twas 6 (SIX). Port Vale 6 (SIX) Cardiff City 1 is still etched in my memory. We beat them 3-0 in the return fixture.