+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making the Sign of the Cross

Re: Making the Sign of the Cross

Sports people are generally pretty superstitious generally, so perhaps it isn't surprising that there is a greater prevalence of religion amongst them.

When a big part of your career is determined by luck then I guess you'll take any help you can get.

Interestingly it seems (to me anway) that there is less open displays of religious adherence amongst managers than amongst players. i wonder why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Sports people are generally pretty superstitious generally, so perhaps it isn't surprising that there is a greater prevalence of religion amongst them.

When a big part of your career is determined by luck then I guess you'll take any help you can get.

Interestingly it seems (to me anway) that there is less open displays of religious adherence amongst managers than amongst players. i wonder why that is.
    Dont know, but given that its usually a managers job that is on the line if a team goes on a bad run, and not the players, youd think they'd have more to pray for.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Dont know, but given that its usually a managers job that is on the line if a team goes on a bad run, and not the players, youd think they'd have more to pray for.
    On the other hand it is on the manager to make decisions and lead - if the players see them looking for divine assistance maybe it doesn't send the best message

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Praying to God or whoever may give people confidence etc and if they win then they can believe its god if they want but its clearly bollocks

Its like the Christian who is involved in a serious accident and after months of highly skilled surgery and rehabilitation by medical staff is able to walk again and says its thanks to God that they have been saved . Of course they are entitled to believe that but its bollocks .

Because other Christians, and indeed non Christians, who fail to walk again or indeed die from their injuries are not saved , despite being either Christian and good and holy or just decent people who don't go to church .

Either God doesn't exist or he's a fussy git

..and while we're at it..what's this "bless you " bollocks that some idiots say after a sneeze?

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ..and while we're at it..what's this "bless you " bollocks that some idiots say after a sneeze?
    Valerie is Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Oh I don't know about that, religion is merely an excuse most of the time. Man will fight over anything, mostly resources.
    I hope whoever "wins" this bit of land will remember this little girl and asks themselves was it ever worth it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-54650502

Isnt that to do with plague back in the 14th century? If you sneezed it was the first sign that youd caught the plague and were off to meet your Maker pretty soon. People would say God Bless You if they saw you sneeze.
    These days youd say - wear a fcuking mask you covidiot and keep your germs to yourself.

Scottish boxing ref. Victor Laughlan always says God Bless as the two fighters touch gloves!!

That's to do with the black death. First symptoms were sneezing. Many blessed them sneezing as it was thought they would die soon.

There is also some proof that most roman crucifixions were done on wood from olive trees, as this was abundant at the time. Olive timbre is short branches and not large timber as in pine/oak/ash etc. Therefor people were crucified on the shape of an "X" (still a cross though)
    Players should be coming onto the pitch doing the "X Factor" sign... lol