+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If Kieffer Moore is there to get on the end of crosses

If Kieffer Moore is there to get on the end of crosses

How come we have wingers who play on the opposite side to their strongest feet? They will almost always cut inside rather than want to go on the outside on their weaker foot. Yes, I know about being able to cut inside and have a shot but it doesn't help the players inside the box.

Re: If Kieffer Moore is there to get on the end of crosses

It seems obvious but it's not that simple and depends on how we set up.
    The way we play doesn't suit the traditional winger hitting the byline and getting his cross in as if the attack breaks down, we are exposed to the counter attack.
    Cutting inside and having a shot not only narrows the game and keeps it tight, it gives the winger a better chance of defending from the front.

It would be nice to see a variation of tactic mind you as defenders dislike facing their own goal when a cross comes in.
    Kiefer Moore would get more than his fair share of goals if we did.

its early days these players are still settling in , in the last two outings there's been some fine attack moves at pace from wide positions and through the middle as MacAdder suggests variation is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How come we have wingers who play on the opposite side to their strongest feet? They will almost always cut inside rather than want to go on the outside on their weaker foot. Yes, I know about being able to cut inside and have a shot but it doesn't help the players inside the box.
    We're not a crosses into the box team though are we Eric and haven't been for years. The old view was that wingers were there to get to the byeline and pull back crosses, but that's changed now and modern thinking is that they come inside, thereby cluttering up what may already be a crowded central midfield, to shoot, while leaving full backs to stick to the outside of the pitch and cross the ball. Of course, under Warnock and others, full backs were, first and foremost defenders, which meant that our so called target men (they're only an aerial target for goalkeeper's punts and long balls out from the back) were even more starved of crosses than they are now.

If selection goes as expected for the rest of this season, I'd say we have two players now who may reach fifteen goals in 20/21, but Harry Wilson's chances of doing it are a lot better than Keiffer Moore's because I think he'll have a lot more scoring opportunities.

If fit and it's a big if really motivated, then Tomlin could join Wilson and Moore in aiming for 15+ goals a season.
    Swapping the wingers around will certainly help Moore, it maybe the way tactics have developed but I can't help thinking that if you're a keeper, the hardest ball to deal with is the cross coming in from the bye line going away from you, with a big centre forward coming in to meet it?
    Punching the ball out is the only real option? and from an attacking perspective that potentially creates another chance

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    If fit and it's a big if really motivated, then Tomlin could join Wilson and Moore in aiming for 15+ goals a season.
    Swapping the wingers around will certainly help Moore, it maybe the way tactics have developed but I can't help thinking that if you're a keeper, the hardest ball to deal with is the cross coming in from the bye line going away from you, with a big centre forward coming in to meet it?
    Punching the ball out is the only real option? and from an attacking perspective that potentially creates another chance
    I agree with you, but I heard somewhere that Marcus Rashford much prefers much more to play on what we'd call the wrong wing than he does the right one and there are young players in the game now who probably feel it is perfectly natural to have right footers on the left and vice versa.

Also, as I alluded to in my last message, I think the plan is for there still to be the sort of crosses you, rightly in my view, suggested were the hardest for defenders and goalkeepers to deal with, but now the job of delivering them tends to fall more to full backs.

International

If the winger can cut inside and cross or shoot and the full back can go outside and cross (Bagan) then you might get the best of both worlds.

As with most tactics I think the key is variation. I don’t see why a professional football team cant swap wingers during a game and play differently for a period of time. This would give defenders something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Good point. I guess it demands overlapping full-backs who can cross a ball