+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tony Pulis's accent !

Re: Tony Pulis's accent !

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Benji Webb from the metal band skindred , formerly dub war was from pill I believe
    I’ve met Benji, and had a few beers with Jeff and Richie through mutual friends who were roadies during the Dub War days.

When I come home I usually go down The City with Richie’s Brother in Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I’ve met Benji, and had a few beers with Jeff and Richie through mutual friends who were roadies during the Dub War days.

He's a good bloke , I believe he is a distant relative of the webbe family from cardiff , from which Glenn webbe who played for Wales is part of , together with his sisters who are blues singers I believe

My Mam was born and grew up down Pill.
    My Old Man used to take me to his work place down there during the teachers strike.
    Loved it!

Used to be great old unique pubs down there, The Carnival, Blues Parties and The Baseball.
    Do you remember the term the front line which was a point half way down Commercial Road.

Loved The Irish Club

And the wonderful Handiland DIY unit at the bottom of Commercial Road

Loved Dub War , Benji loved singing in his local church as well

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do you remember the term the front line which was a point half way down Commercial Road.

Loved The Irish Club

And the wonderful Handiland DIY unit at the bottom of Commercial Road
    The Frontline was just passed Kwik Save.
    Use to shit myself walking past there to get a couple of floats and half a pint of maggots from Pill Angling.

He's a good bloke , I believe he is a distant relative of the webbe family from cardiff , from which Glenn webbe who played for Wales is part of , together with his sisters who are blues singers I believe
    He released a new project yesterday with Richie Glover called Diamond Spider.
    Sounds brilliant with a “Blind Boys of Alabama” feel.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Loved The Irish Club
    Took many a friend there from all over when they come to visit, for a last drink after town closed.
    Johnny Reynolds and Sheila were mint.

Great welcome in The Irish Club after playing St Michaels in baseball, decent club.

Use to shit myself walking past there to get a couple of floats and half a pint of maggots from Pill Angling.
    Gosh yes forgot Pill Angling .

Tough place back In the day.

Lots of good lads though.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Great welcome in The Irish Club after playing St Michaels in baseball, decent club.
    Some characters in their for sure .

There was an Anglo Italian club as well they had good footy team.

Where in Newport did you fish ?

Fished the canal for pike up at cwmbran but not in the port

My lads rugby team from Marple (Stockport) went on a weekend tour a few years back. Played Llandaff and got smashed. On the Sunday they played Pill. Good match, drawn. The Pill RFC club were absolutely brilliant hosts. Over 5 years of visiting rf clubs across the UK, this fixture stands out as the best. A great club doing their best in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    My lads rugby team from Marple (Stockport) went on a weekend tour a few years back. Played Llandaff and got smashed. On the Sunday they played Pill. Good match, drawn. The Pill RFC club were absolutely brilliant hosts. Over 5 years of visiting rf clubs across the UK, this fixture stands out as the best. A great club doing their best in the community.
    Do you know Disley, near Stockport?

Some tough nuts up there

Disley is close to us. Never struck me as a tough nut place. More leafy Cheshire ..

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Disley is close to us. Never struck me as a tough nut place. More leafy Cheshire ..
    I went to a house party up there many years ago and some of the local lads were Stockport County nutters

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Sorry to hear that though Mate.

Cheers. Character building nqat

I worked at the Whiteheads steel works (opposite the Royal Gwent) for many years. We would always start (10am'ish!) our Christmas drinking session from a huge pub/hotel just by the transporter bridge. I forgot the the name of the place, as it was going back about 17-18 years ago, I think it was called the West Country (or a similar West country theme name to it?). As I said, it was huge, however, there was only a small bar area and a slightly larger skittle alley area that was actually operational for us to drink in. Considering the size of the property it was so surprising to see how little of it was being used.

That kind of set the whole tone of the area as we made our way down Commercial road and towards the centre. Lost count of the number of pubs that were on each corner of that long road, many of them boarded up a long time ago. It was just as well that some of those pubs were no longer open as there'd be no way we could have made it from one end of Commercial Road to the other.

Pill must have been a great, thriving, area in its heyday... just like most docks areas I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I worked at the Whiteheads steel works (opposite the Royal Gwent) for many years. We would always start (10am'ish!) our Christmas drinking session from a huge pub/hotel just by the transporter bridge. I forgot the the name of the place, as it was going back about 17-18 years ago, I think it was called the West Country (or a similar West country theme name to it?). As I said, it was huge, however, there was only a small bar area and a slightly larger skittle alley area that was actually operational for us to drink in. Considering the size of the property it was so surprising to see how little of it was being used.

That kind of set the whole tone of the area as we made our way down Commercial road and towards the centre. Lost count of the number of pubs that were on each corner of that long road, many of them boarded up a long time ago. It was just as well that some of those pubs were no longer open as there'd be no way we could have made it from one end of Commercial Road to the other.

Pill must have been a great, thriving, area in its heyday... just like most docks areas I would imagine.
    Edit: The pub was called 'The West of England'

West of England.jpg

Where in Newport did you fish ?

Fished the canal for pike up at cwmbran but not in the port
    The main ones for me would be The Quarry (Lliswerry pond) which is between Lliswerry and Alway, Woodstock and Morgan’s just off the canal heading to Bettws and also Llanwern Pond, just at the entrance of the Steelworks.

Must have spent nearly all my summer holidays fishing when I was a kid.

The main ones for me would be The Quarry (Lliswerry pond) which is between Lliswerry and Alway, Woodstock and Morgan’s just off the canal heading to Bettws and also Llanwern Pond, just at the entrance of the Steelworks.

Must have spent nearly all my summer holidays fishing when I was a kid.
    Liswerry is the pool you can see on the train on the left hand side as you come out of Newport?

Woodstock and Morgans are Newport angling association , pike in Woodstock I think ?

Never fished canal in Newport but have further up

Liswerry is the pool you can see on the train on the left hand side as you come out of Newport?

Woodstock and Morgans are Newport angling association , pike in Woodstock I think ?

Never fished canal in Newport but have further up
    Yes Mate.
    Never ever caught a Pike.
    Plenty of Tench, Carp and big Perch there but never a pike.

Yes Mate.
    Never ever caught a Pike.
    Plenty of Tench, Carp and big Perch there but never a pike.
    Pike are the Black Sabbath of the fishing world

Pike are the Black Sabbath of the fishing world
    😆😆

😆😆
    Roach are duran duran

Roach are duran duran