+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Parks Football

Cardiff Parks Football

Amazing how many players took part in its heyday. Anyone who played in the 70s/80s will remember the absolute organised chaos of places like Pontcanna, Ely Racecourse, Rumney Rec, Roath Rec etc. Pontcanna and The Racecourse must have had nigh on 30 pitches each, 60 teams playing there every Saturday (not to mention Sundays when the Sunday leagues took off). Each team must have had a minimum of a 15 strong entourage, some much more, it must have been a nightmare for the residents of Fields Park Road and Colin Way knowing that perhaps a 1000 people would be making their way down their narrow street every Saturday from half one on and then making there way back a few hours later.
    Was it The City’s climb up the leagues that contributed to the dramatic demise of parks football? Not sure how many play now but I can remember the Premier to Division 6 in the Cardiff & District and the Combination had the Senior Division down to Division 6, 14 divisions of about 12 teams each, 168 teams, mind boggling really. Funny how when professional football in the city was at one of its lowest ebbs, football itself was buzzing and more popular than ever. Imagine this Covid situation in those days, the lack of playing the game would have been the end of the world.
    Will playing the game in those numbers at that level ever return? Very much doubt it, the demise of public houses and working men’s clubs is a contributing factor, many a team formed in those establishments, so glad I lived in that era.

Re: Cardiff Parks Football

I think that a change in roles for both men and women -From a financial and working point of view-has put paid to sport within a community. Shared childcare, The local pub not having any real relevance within a community, where most football teams were played out of. Working patterns changing, young men not going into 'traditional' working environments, because they don't exist anymore, Huge debt and mortgages etc. Basically, the breakdown in traditional communities due to the eradication of manufacturing and heavy industry (sometimes well paid) which offered saturday afternoons off. People have to work more now to pay for the minute box that they call home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that a change in roles for both men and women -From a financial and working point of view-has put paid to sport within a community. Shared childcare, The local pub not having any real relevance within a community, where most football teams were played out of. Working patterns changing, young men not going into 'traditional' working environments, because they don't exist anymore, Huge debt and mortgages etc. Basically, the breakdown in traditional communities due to the eradication of manufacturing and heavy industry (sometimes well paid) which offered saturday afternoons off. People have to work more now to pay for the minute box that they call home.
    I mentioned pub & club teams but forgot about teams that were formed in workplaces as well, Wiggins Teape, Rover (Pengam), British Ropes, Guest Keen, Spillers etc, all a thing of the past.

There is a saying that cardiff and Swansea have some of the largest saturday and Sunday amateur football participation in the UK

Don't know if that's true but there did seem to be a spike in our crowds in the past when parks football was called off

Barry and Bridgend have very active parks football , I assume its the same in the valleys

There are far more people involved in playing football in South Wales than rugby , that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I mentioned pub & club teams but forgot about teams that were formed in workplaces as well, Wiggins Teape, Rover (Pengam), British Ropes, Guest Keen, Spillers etc, all a thing of the past.
    Panasonic used to have a side I think

I know Sony in Bridgend did , several

Many of the people who worked in sonys Bridgend came in fleets of buses from Maesteg

I only played two half seasons in the Cardiff Leagues during that time, One the last few games for Gwaelod-Y-Garth in the District after I had a bad ankle injury and another for Rumney Rangers in the Combination. I preferred playing to watching as I always thought I could watch after my playing days were over.

These days I get upset if someone robs me of a paragraph!

The rise of five a side football may have contributed. I used to referee at Gol and there'd be at least 4 games a night on each pitch

It makes sense to go for 5 a side. Why join an 11 a side team when you can get a few mates together and play as your own team? Highly unlikely the game will get called off compared to parks football and it takes up less of your time

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The rise of five a side football may have contributed. I used to referee at Gol and there'd be at least 4 games a night on each pitch

It makes sense to go for 5 a side. Why join an 11 a side team when you can get a few mates together and play as your own team? Highly unlikely the game will get called off compared to parks football and it takes up less of your time
    True, the Gôl type centres have taken off big time, I s’pose it’s a sort of quick fix football under lights that enables players to work more hours or do other things with their free time

In the 1970's parks football thrived yet the facilities were abysmal. Llandaff Fields, Heath Park and many other places had many pitches which were either on a slope or badly drained like Trowbridge. The worst was the Marl in Grangetown where the pitch was on a former rubbish tip with broken glass rising to the surface. Very often we had to change in the open air - totally unacceptable these days. Kids these days grow up in an environment of video games and miss out on the need for exercise.

used to play alot in the sunday leagues back then think it was called the MW developments league . lots of decent sides about back then i wonder if there is a sunday league these days (pre covid )?

Used to look forward to the summer months too with the baseball season . early 80's we had 7 leagues from prem , county to 5 leagues . llanrumney and Caerau ely dominated the game in that era with both grange sides worthy opponents . splott park was always my fav to play and always used to hit a load of runs over there against Bridgend street !!!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    In the 1970's parks football thrived yet the facilities were abysmal. Llandaff Fields, Heath Park and many other places had many pitches which were either on a slope or badly drained like Trowbridge. The worst was the Marl in Grangetown where the pitch was on a former rubbish tip with broken glass rising to the surface. Very often we had to change in the open air - totally unacceptable these days. Kids these days grow up in an environment of video games and miss out on the need for exercise.

Time was there used to be three rugby pitches and two football pitches Oh and the changing rooms were in a fkg shocking state but we loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

That is a good point although Sunday league football is still very vibrant even where I live in Surrey which is hardly a footballing hotbed.

(I remember playing for SWEB a few times when I was still in school, on Roath Park Rec)

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    There is a saying that cardiff and Swansea have some of the largest saturday and Sunday amateur football participation in the UK

Don't know if that's true but there did seem to be a spike in our crowds in the past when parks football was called off

Barry and Bridgend have very active parks football , I assume its the same in the valleys

There are far more people involved in playing football in South Wales than rugby , that's for sure
    Sadly the Vale of Glamorgan league at senior level has shrunk considerably over the last decade. In the early 2000's there probably was 40 plus teams in 4 divisions whereas last year just 24 sides in 2 divisions. Many pubs and social clubs have gone in Barry that used to run sides unfortunately.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Amazing how many players took part in its heyday. Anyone who played in the 70s/80s will remember the absolute organised chaos of places like Pontcanna, Ely Racecourse, Rumney Rec, Roath Rec etc. Pontcanna and The Racecourse must have had nigh on 30 pitches each, 60 teams playing there every Saturday (not to mention Sundays when the Sunday leagues took off). Each team must have had a minimum of a 15 strong entourage, some much more, it must have been a nightmare for the residents of Fields Park Road and Colin Way knowing that perhaps a 1000 people would be making their way down their narrow street every Saturday from half one on and then making there way back a few hours later.
    Was it The City’s climb up the leagues that contributed to the dramatic demise of parks football? Not sure how many play now but I can remember the Premier to Division 6 in the Cardiff & District and the Combination had the Senior Division down to Division 6, 14 divisions of about 12 teams each, 168 teams, mind boggling really. Funny how when professional football in the city was at one of its lowest ebbs, football itself was buzzing and more popular than ever. Imagine this Covid situation in those days, the lack of playing the game would have been the end of the world.
    Will playing the game in those numbers at that level ever return? Very much doubt it, the demise of public houses and working men’s clubs is a contributing factor, many a team formed in those establishments, so glad I lived in that era.
    Those were the days ... I decided when we were 0-2 down to Hartlepool at Ninian one Saturday afternoon, that I would join my mates who played at Whitchurch Hospital FC (who had 3 teams at the time). Later played for Park Lawn, Cardiff Corries & Tongwynlais. From memory Cae Delyn park had hot showers which was a real bonus! Worst bit was putting up the nets - not getting enough time to warm up - and then taking them down when knackered.

I went up to do teacher training at Cyncoed and had the real privilege of playing on a fantastic pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Sadly the Vale of Glamorgan league at senior level has shrunk considerably over the last decade. In the early 2000's there probably was 40 plus teams in 4 divisions whereas last year just 24 sides in 2 divisions. Many pubs and social clubs have gone in Barry that used to run sides unfortunately.
    Cadoxton Imps used to give us a hiding

And the team that played on that ropey pitch with freezing showers in the middle of the island liked to put the boot in

As did the crowd

It was a relief to get home in one piece

Football in the valley areas in dying on its arse.

Combination of costs and lack of interest. Putting it succinctly the Merthyr area is fuucked.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    used to play alot in the sunday leagues back then think it was called the MW developments league . lots of decent sides about back then i wonder if there is a sunday league these days (pre covid )?

Used to look forward to the summer months too with the baseball season . early 80's we had 7 leagues from prem , county to 5 leagues . llanrumney and Caerau ely dominated the game in that era with both grange sides worthy opponents . splott park was always my fav to play and always used to hit a load of runs over there against Bridgend street !!!
    You just couldn’t let it lie, couldn’t let it lie

I scored against British Ropes -just off Western Ave- in about 1970. Superb pitch, enclosed. Goal was even better though..

Most of my football was played in the Pontypridd and District league, for Park Rovers Treforest and finally Cilfynydd. It came as a shock to me when we played I think Cardiff Hibernian down on Pontcanna Fields. I'd never seen so many teams in one set of changing rooms. I think it made us realise how good the facilities were back in Ponty where just about every ground was a proper single self contained pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Most of my football was played in the Pontypridd and District league, for Park Rovers Treforest and finally Cilfynydd. It came as a shock to me when we played I think Cardiff Hibernian down on Pontcanna Fields. I'd never seen so many teams in one set of changing rooms. I think it made us realise how good the facilities were back in Ponty where just about every ground was a proper single SELF CONTAINED pitch.

Early self-distancing

Great thread. I have played football in the Rhondda for many years and I would agree it is not quite as vibrant as it used to be but is still very popular. At The junior/ boys club ages the leagues are now joined with Merthyr and Aberdare when once they have would be filled at all age groups with teams just from the Rhondda - you have the Cambrian academy also. At senior level still lots of teams and two Saturday leagues but no Sunday League. I have played veterans football (over 40’s) for last three seasons and this is thriving - There are also leagues for over 45 over 50 etc. The fun stories some of you mention above in parks football was the driver for me writing a book about it (Park Life) to record the fun and camaraderie in local football both on and off the field (in the club/pub after the game) ......that some of you (like me) obviously enjoyed previously. Not sure what effect COVID will have, perhaps more people will want to play after an enforced absence or some may not bother to go back.

You just couldn’t let it lie, couldn’t let it lie
    Mozzer once faced the bowling of Llanrumney's John Smith at Rumney Rec'. Smithy's first ball was right under Mozzer's chin and he never had time to react - the second ball he was clean bowled, swiping at thin air!
    Mozzer had a reputation of, erm... bottling it against the big boys of baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Mozzer once faced the bowling of Llanrumney's John Smith at Rumney Rec'. Smithy's first ball was right under Mozzer's chin and he never had time to react - the second ball he was clean bowled, swiping at thin air!
    Mozzer had a reputation of, erm... bottling it against the big boys of baseball!
    but never against Bridgend street

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    but never against Bridgend street
    Ah, f*ck off over Roath Park with the other ducks

Those were the days.

I used to play Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday league, and missed one game with injury in all those years.

A time when you could enjoy the physicality of a good 50/50 tackle, without someone rolling about like a big baby.

A time when the tackle from behind was all part of the game, and no matter how badly someone clattered you, you got straight back up and never let them know you were hurt.

Parks football was great stuff back in the day, but not for the faint hearted!