+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don Murray.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Don Murray.

My son (who actually lives next door to us had some work done today) by two blokes, father & son, from Penarth.

My lad came round and told me, very excitedly, that one of the guys was the grandson of the Cardiff City captain who led the team to victory over Real Madrid.

"What? You've got the grandson of the great Don Murray next door?"

I went next door and introduced myself. Got shown a recent photo of Don & his wife at a beach bar in Goa where they usually go to escape the cold for 6 months of the year.

Made my day. Don, now 74 and fit and well, will kindly sign some team photos I have from Shoot / Goal magazines back in the late 60s early 70's.

The grandson used to play for Newport County (U18).

Re: Don Murray.

Good to hear the big man is well

Love this sort of stuff!

My claim to fame which I've told on here many times over the years has a connection to this story - when I was in my early 20's (circa 1970 say) I used to train at the old Glyn Derw High in Ely with office mates who had a team in Cardiff Combination league. Somehow they'd managed to persuade the great Don Murray, still playing for City of course, to come and coach the team for a couple of hours midweek. He was brilliant, no airs or graces, just one of the lads. We'd stop off for a bevvy afterwards usually at the Ty Pwll Coch on Cowbridge Road (is it still there?). At the time I was playing for Taffs Well in the SW Amateur League but - the other connection - had previously had 2 full seasons with Newport County in their Welsh League side, never getting a first team outing.

I just looked up Don's playing career: Don Murray made over 400 appearances for Cardiff between 1962-75; he made his debut at the age of 17 years 113 days and still holds the club record for consecutive appearances with 146 games between May, 1968 to November, 1971, The club received a number of offers from higher clubs for Murray but he always decided to stay with CCFC.

They don't make them like that any more

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    My claim to fame which I've told on here many times over the years has a connection to this story - when I was in my early 20's (circa 1970 say) I used to train at the old Glyn Derw High in Ely with office mates who had a team in Cardiff Combination league. Somehow they'd managed to persuade the great Don Murray, still playing for City of course, to come and coach the team for a couple of hours midweek. He was brilliant, no airs or graces, just one of the lads. We'd stop off for a bevvy afterwards usually at the Ty Pwll Coch on Cowbridge Road (is it still there?). At the time I was playing for Taffs Well in the SW Amateur League but - the other connection - had previously had 2 full seasons with Newport County in their Welsh League side, never getting a first team outing.

I just looked up Don's playing career: Don Murray made over 400 appearances for Cardiff between 1962-75; he made his debut at the age of 17 years 113 days and still holds the club record for consecutive appearances with 146 games between May, 1968 to November, 1971, The club received a number of offers from higher clubs for Murray but he always decided to stay with CCFC.

After he had retired from playing, I used to see Don in the Bulldog in Fairwater drinking with the England rugby international prop Barry Nelmes who had played for Cardiff for a few years. My hero worship meant that I never spoke to him, preferring to leave the two of them to their own company, but I noticed that Don was perfectly approachable and happy to talk football with other drinkers.

At the end of this season, it will be ten years since the Trust held the first of a series of celebration nights which commemorated anniversaries of memorable events in the club's history. This one was to for the fortieth anniversary of our win over Real Madrid in 1971 and Don, Gary Bell, Leighton Phillips, Bobby Woodruff and Steve Derrett turned up to recollect that night - they were all great value and my overriding feeling was that they were all so pleased, and a little surprised it seemed to me, that their exploits still meant so much to supporters of the club.

I used to get in the Ty Pwll Coch, but it's been shut for years (more than ten I'd guess) - it was converted into flats I believe.

My claim to fame concerning Don is:——

On an away day special train, the players used to travel on them. Peter King and Don, were walking up the carriage, when Don dropped a 10 bob note.
    Well this 16/17 year old was the quickest to put a foot on it. One of the boys, Paul Glavin, was gutted.

Think we were on the way to a London game.

Years later, on meeting Don, I told him the story, he said “keep the 10 bob, just get him and his Mrs a drink” It was a privilege to oblige

In the early 80s the City were struck by a flu bug and had to postpone the first team and Combination games but were unable to call off their Welsh League game, being shorn of players they drafted in a few of us local players. It was a great memory to go to the manager’s office at Ninian Park to sign for the City before the game, Don Murray and Bobby Woodruff were in charge and signed us on, giving us a fiver in an envelope. Don then drove us in a minibus to Ely Rangers’ ground in Wenvoe to play Barry Town. Got beat one nil but Don and Bobby reckoned it was one of side’s best performances of the season, they were so complimentary of our efforts, lovely blokes. Two City players were involved, Andy Dibble was in goal and I played up front with a lad called Robert Sherman alongside me. Richie Morgan was first team manager at the time. Still one of my proudest moment to have the chance to pull on the blue shirt albeit in strange circumstances, thanks Don, Bobby & Richie, lovely, genuine people.

Don is from Duffus a small village near Elgin in the north of Scotland. Work took us up that way for a few years and I used to drink occasionally at the Duffus Inn. I got to know one of the old farmers up there who told me that he remembered "young Donald" very well and on more than one occasion, had "to box his ears" for scrumping his apples.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the early 80s the City were struck by a flu bug and had to postpone the first team and Combination games but were unable to call off their Welsh League game, being shorn of players they drafted in a few of us local players. It was a great memory to go to the manager’s office at Ninian Park to sign for the City before the game, Don Murray and Bobby Woodruff were in charge and signed us on, giving us a fiver in an envelope. Don then drove us in a minibus to Ely Rangers’ ground in Wenvoe to play Barry Town. Got beat one nil but Don and Bobby reckoned it was one of side’s best performances of the season, they were so complimentary of our efforts, lovely blokes. Two City players were involved, Andy Dibble was in goal and I played up front with a lad called Robert Sherman alongside me. Richie Morgan was first team manager at the time. Still one of my proudest moment to have the chance to pull on the blue shirt albeit in strange circumstances, thanks Don, Bobby & Richie, lovely, genuine people.
    I used to be involved with Inter Cardiff and we were due to play Afan Lido one Saturday but the pitch was unfit so spent the afternoon in the bar where I had the privilege of spending the afternoon with Don Murray, Nigel Rees, inevitably George Wood and a few others. Don told me of a Welsh League game he played in when he was running them and was having problems with a clogger putting the boot in on his youngsters. The ref was doing nothing so Don warned the player to no effect so simply went straight over the ball and crocked him next time he was near him. He then turned to the ref and said "You caused that" and walked off before the inevitable dismissal. Ex City players often turned up at games simply because they loved football and talking about it. George Wood was also great craic particularly on long coach trips back from North Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    My son (who actually lives next door to us had some work done today) by two blokes, father & son, from Penarth.

My lad came round and told me, very excitedly, that one of the guys was the grandson of the Cardiff City captain who led the team to victory over Real Madrid.

"What? You've got the grandson of the great Don Murray next door?"

I went next door and introduced myself. Got shown a recent photo of Don & his wife at a beach bar in Goa where they usually go to escape the cold for 6 months of the year.

Made my day. Don, now 74 and fit and well, will kindly sign some team photos I have from Shoot / Goal magazines back in the late 60s early 70's.

The grandson used to play for Newport County (U18).
    If the two guys working on the house were father and son, doesn't that mean that you also had either Don Murrays son or great grandson in attendance ? Surely his son would out rank his grandson in terms of kudos for a story ?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    If the two guys working on the house were father and son, doesn't that mean that you also had either Don Murrays son or great grandson in attendance ? Surely his son would out rank his grandson in terms of kudos for a story ?
    Lol!

Don Murray was an excellent centre half for us. He was the only pro footballer who kicked the ball with his toes. I noticed when he took a "celebrity" penalty at half time at Ninian Park a few years back he still used the same toe ball technique.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Have you heard of the term father-in-law?

DM's daughter (married to DM's son-in-law) is the mother of DM's grandson

Don Murray has a season ticket in level 4 of the CCS. He sits in the back row just behind me, often he's there with his son (who is even bigger!). He doesn't attend every game but is often there. It's amazing how many players from that era stayed in the area. Don Murray, Brian Harris, Bobby Woodruff, Brian, Clark, Ronnie Bird, Gary Bell.

My claim to city 'fame' is the super striker Gary Stevens (Basil) used to live near me and was a great chap, as he used to get me autographs and away programmes.

Oh and i met Dick Emery on a plane once ;-)

I actually gave Don a lift to the City about 3-4 years ago! He knows one of the other older guys who I take, and asked if I had room in the car.

Until this thread I had no idea about how big a deal that was! I just knew that he was an ex-player from decades ago!!

Used to chat with him regularly down the Merrier Harrier pub in Penarth back in the 80s, He worked at Headlands school in Penarth for years. Nice to see him and Sue are in good health. His son Paul went to same school as me, though he was a few years younger. Nice family. A City legend is Don.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

Ty Pwll Coch on Cowbridge Road - It's flats now

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    My claim to city 'fame' is the super striker Gary Stevens (Basil) used to live near me and was a great chap, as he used to get me autographs and away programmes.

Oh and i met Dick Emery on a plane once ;-)
    Ooh you are awful......but I like you!