+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No U turn on essential goods ban

No U turn on essential goods ban

I think Drakeford has done some good (metro) and also some bad (M4 relief) but this one is the wrong decision for the right reasons.

I understand why it’s implemented. You know the sort, can’t cope with being bored, or inside with children so ‘pop to the shop for something to do’. But it’s just going to piss the people that aren’t going to listen anyway, and divide them further.

Re: No U turn on essential goods ban

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I think Drakeford has done some good (metro) and also some bad (M4 relief) but this one is the wrong decision for the right reasons.

I understand why it’s implemented. You know the sort, can’t cope with being bored, or inside with children so ‘pop to the shop for something to do’. But it’s just going to piss the people that aren’t going to listen anyway, and divide them further.
    Lets face it, he’s a nobody who is having his hour of fame in the spotlight and is milking it for all its worth to try to make a name for himself. This ban on ‘non essential goods’ makes no sense whatsoever, as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t. When this is all over he will disappear again hopefully, although ‘doing a Drakeford’ could well become an accepted phrase in future years for describing someone who is unduly stubborn, pedantic and dithering (or possibly someone who wears clothes that are two sizes too big 😀😀).

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Lets face it, he’s a nobody who is having his hour of fame in the spotlight and is milking it for all its worth to try to make a name for himself. This ban on ‘non essential goods’ makes no sense whatsoever, as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t. When this is all over he will disappear again hopefully, although ‘doing a Drakeford’ could well become an accepted phrase in future years for describing someone who is unduly stubborn, pedantic and dithering (or possibly someone who wears clothes that are two sizes too big 😀😀).
    "...as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...rted-1.4380208

Except for Northern Ireland, you mean?

Be right for once, dml... Please!

This ban on ‘non essential goods’ makes no sense whatsoever, as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t.
    Stopping people from going to supermarkets unless it's to buy consumables, and also trying to be fair to businesses who sell books/tv's etc who've had to shut down. It's not difficult to get the logic. Also not difficult to know that Northern Ireland are going into a lockdown twice as long as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

The problem is that clothes etc will be bought on line.

They usually arrive next say and once people get used to it they will keep doing it.

Could affect the shops more than if they bought a few clothes from the supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Stopping people from going to supermarkets unless it's to buy consumables, and also trying to be fair to businesses who sell books/tv's etc who've had to shut down. It's not difficult to get the logic. Also not difficult to know that Northern Ireland are going into a lockdown twice as long as ours.
    But as I said in my other post people may just buy on line and keep doing it.

Not difficult to get that logic either.

Lets face it, he’s a nobody who is having his hour of fame in the spotlight and is milking it for all its worth to try to make a name for himself. This ban on ‘non essential goods’ makes no sense whatsoever, as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t. When this is all over he will disappear again hopefully, although ‘doing a Drakeford’ could well become an accepted phrase in future years for describing someone who is unduly stubborn, pedantic and dithering (or possibly someone who wears clothes that are two sizes too big ����).
    All my life, the Conservative party have portrayed themselves as the party of the small business man/woman, but the interesting thing here is that it seems to me that the WAG has made a decision with those very people in mind and the tories on here are slagging them off purely because that decision has been taken by the Welsh Labour party.

The line taken by many tory MPs against Andy Burnham was that he was playing party politics (I heard Matt Hancock say that five times in a two or three minute radio interview, thereby proving that, if he was doing such a thing, Mr Burnham was not the only one playing party politics), but what else is it but party politics from people like you when you come down against the small business man/woman because the "other lot" are doing something designed to stop them being discriminated against - by the way, how can someone be stubborn and dithering?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post

They usually arrive next say and once people get used to it they will keep doing it.

Could affect the shops more than if they bought a few clothes from the supermarkets
    To be fair, think those who are still buying a TV in a shop are unlikely to move to doing it online now if they haven't already made that move on the US version of Black Friday last year/the year before/the year before etc. If this making the public realise that shops need support then hopefully that feeling lasts 17 days and continues into next year because I've also seen comments from bookshop owners about people asking them to research what a book is before being told thanks but the potential customer will now find it online.

What is essential? What isn't? It's a minefield that could have been avoided without these depressing images, though with a 17 day fire-break as opposed to a 4 week one (NI) we do need tighter restrictions (self-imposed or otherwise) and people to play ball for it to work.

It's under review now so we'll hear next week what happens.

Independent and high street shops and businesses will and have been harder hit by supermarkets than the online threat

If anything they should have the online facility themselves. Loads have anyway.

Im working from home and its noticeable the number of deliveries being made. Im regularly taking in deliveries for neighbours.

True, but the main reason for it is the first part of my sentence though isn't it, stopping people from going to the supermarket unless they have to. Yes I know there's loopholes, people don't have to buy alcohol for example. None of this is easy and there is no logically flawless catch all

it makes perfect sense to me.
    we've seen what happens when you don't have a clear message, people make their own interpretations and the whole thing collapses into a shambles.

we all know some people will be like - oh well if I can go to Sainsbury's to buy a new shirt then why can't I go to X etc
    then pretty soon people are making non essential journeys all over the place and the whole idea of the fire break is ruined.

somewhat similar to the mixed messages we had from the Tories earlier in the year i.e. it was fine for Dominic Cummings to go to Barnard castle, which was followed by widespread breakdown of people sticking to the rules later

Online buying is just a glorified Grattten’s/Freeman’s catalogue.

How many times have you bought something that has to be sent back, for one reason or another.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Online buying is just a glorified Grattten’s/Freeman’s catalogue.

How many times have you bought something that has to be sent back, for one reason or another.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea
    I would definitely not order a cup of tea online.
    unless it came with a Panini in a pleasant outdoor eating environment

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would definitely not order a cup of tea online.
    unless it came with a Panini in a pleasant outdoor eating environment

Come on now, I gave you a great chance and you never mentioned a KETTLE

Panini’s are yesterday’s news

Lets face it, he’s a nobody who is having his hour of fame in the spotlight and is milking it for all its worth to try to make a name for himself. This ban on ‘non essential goods’ makes no sense whatsoever, as does having a national lockdown whilst the rest of the UK doesn’t. When this is all over he will disappear again hopefully, although ‘doing a Drakeford’ could well become an accepted phrase in future years for describing someone who is unduly stubborn, pedantic and dithering (or possibly someone who wears clothes that are two sizes too big ).
    So how would you protect the NHS from being overwhelmed by very ill people. I see lots of criticism but nothing constructive. Some topics, such as ensuring disadvantaged children have a daily meal during school holidays or that the sick can get the care they need, should transcend party politics and be the decent thing to do.

It's all pointless, anyway. Once the two weeks are up, we'll all head out again, and the figures will start to rise. But wait - do I see a vaccine on the horizon? That's our only hope for a 'normal life' in the near future. But by then, any small business will have closed down...

[QUOTE=tforturton;5129531. But by then, any small business will have closed down...[/QUOTE]

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Really?
    Not EVERYTHING, obviously, but there are a lot of small businesses that simply will not recover from this second hammer blow.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's all pointless, anyway. Once the two weeks are up, we'll all head out again, and the figures will start to rise. But wait - do I see a vaccine on the horizon? That's our only hope for a 'normal life' in the near future. But by then, any small business will have closed down...
    Noises suggesting vaccine to be developed by end of the year and then a case of producing it on scale needed and at the same time, treatments to improve chances of surviving are being found/developed so death rates are likely to go down. I would be surprised if we're not feeling much more positive by March 2021.

The idea of the fire-break/circuit breaker is not necessarily to stop figures rising but to slow the rate that they do. At the moment R estimated to be 1.2-1.4 in Wales but this could, if it works, bring it back down below 1.

Will smaller businesses survive? Hope so, though Resolution Foundation has produced information to say that self-employed people have been hit hardest by pandemic and by being missed from financial support so it will be dicey for many: https://twitter.com/resfoundation/st...78336350883840

Government has to make a decision about minimum income floor part of Universal Credit in next couple of weeks at the moment. Currently, there is discretion to ignore it but this is running out so self-employed people might be treated as having 35xmimimum wage earnings whether there is income or not. At the same time, those on working tax credits have been supported up until this point by HMRC treating them as if they're doing full-time hours but this is also running out soon and waiting to be reviewed. Self-employed people on benefits may be about to be dropped in it again.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Not EVERYTHING, obviously, but there are a lot of small businesses that simply will not recover from this second hammer blow.
    But also a lot of people will be saved from death; I know which I would prefer

Nothings perfect Elwood. But it's fun to see the right wingers on here showing off their yoga skills by twisting themselves into any torturous position just to criticize the Welsh government.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All my life, the Conservative party have portrayed themselves as the party of the small business man/woman, but the interesting thing here is that it seems to me that the WAG has made a decision with those very people in mind and the tories on here are slagging them off purely because that decision has been taken by the Welsh Labour party.

The line taken by many tory MPs against Andy Burnham was that he was playing party politics (I heard Matt Hancock say that five times in a two or three minute radio interview, thereby proving that, if he was doing such a thing, Mr Burnham was not the only one playing party politics), but what else is it but party politics from people like you when you come down against the small business man/woman because the "other lot" are doing something designed to stop them being discriminated against - by the way, how can someone be stubborn and dithering?
    Perhaps you should ask Mr Drakeford the last one - he has got it down to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    But also a lot of people will be saved from death; I know which I would prefer
    Ok. Alive but no job, no money, no place to live, no friends etc. Not much of a difference really is it.

Ok. Alive but no job, no money, no place to live, no friends etc. Not much of a difference really is it.
    Im more convinced than ever this is a wind up account.😂😂😂

Perhaps you should ask Mr Drakeford the last one - he has got it down to a tee.
    If his decisions mean fewer people are out and about because they can’t browse through the frocks, socks and phoney Welsh rugby stuff in Tesco and Asda it has to be a good thing in thinning out the volume of people in these shops. Ok, ‘non essential’ can be a blurred line, what’s essential to one person is ‘what the f*ck’ to someone else but some folk moan that Drakeford is inept yet when he does something what a lot think is a positive move they regard him as a tin pot dictator. I’d take him over Johnson any day of the week.