+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: No U turn on essential goods ban

Re: No U turn on essential goods ban

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    But as I said in my other post people may just buy on line and keep doing it.

Not difficult to get that logic either.
    People are buying online.That's why shops are closing all the time.
    It was happening before the pandemic.
    I will keep on banging the kettle drum.
    Support your small retailer,If an when they reopen.

Vaughan Gethin fronting a Press Conference shortly about what can and cannot be bought in supermarkets. Is a U turn on the cards? Being carried live on BBC news.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Vaughan Gethin fronting a Press Conference shortly about what can and cannot be bought in supermarkets. Is a U turn on the birthday/wedding/anniversary/insert your own cards? Being carried live on BBC news.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No U turn. Gething sticking to his guns. Obviously concerned about hospital capacity/critical care beds. Could this be due to the closure of the Nightingale Hospital at the Principality Stadium without the replacement being ready until December?

No U turn. Gething sticking to his guns. Obviously concerned about hospital capacity/critical care beds. Could this be due to the closure of the Nightingale Hospital at the Principality Stadium without the replacement being ready until December?
    Or could it be that if you're going to have a short sharp lockdown then it needs to be effective or it is pointless doing it at all.

If you start making concessions to people after only 3 days then the whole thing will be a farce within a week.

Well done for remaining firm on it I say.

Utter confusion !!!!!

He's saying "If you want something desperately, ask the supermarket" !!! Utter bollocks

Heisenberg

Utter confusion !!!!!

He's saying "If you want something desperately, ask the supermarket" !!! Utter bollocks
    I'm with you on that one. Undermines the whole thing if people can just potentially make up excuses as to why they need a new copy of Bad Boys 2 on DVD and then a shop assistant has to use their discretion as to whether to sell the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps WG would argue it's allowing the smaller shops to be competitive. How can supermarkets being restricted be anti-competitive when supermarkets have less competition at the moment?

In any case, I would imagine that any reasonable legislation to help fight Covid would take precedence and rightly so.
    Supermarkets are being restricted because they and other 'essential' shops are being told not to sell certain items in order to 'level things up' with those shops that have been told to close.

So if you want it and can't get it from the supermarket you are forcing people in Wales to purchase on line. This should be a public health issue but Mark Drakeford's comments make it a commercial issue and he's in danger of digging himself into a hole. EU and UK competition Law is robust and its for the Senedd to apply it not ride roughshod over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Or could it be that if you're going to have a short sharp lockdown then it needs to be effective or it is pointless doing it at all.

If you start making concessions to people after only 3 days then the whole thing will be a farce within a week.

Well done for remaining firm on it I say.
    The whole 2 week lockdown is a farce anyway.

All its doing is serving to nail more nails in the coffins of the hospitality and retail sectors.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Who do you want to replace him ?

You can either choose someone from the current labour administration

Or vote out the Labour administration by replacing them with plaid or the conservatives

Personally I couldn't vote for plaid as they are nationalists and I would rather have my eyes poked out with a sharp stick than vote tory
    I want you to replace him. Youve got an answer for everything and are never wrong so my answer is - You.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I want you to replace him. Youve got an answer for everything and are never wrong so my answer is - You.
    I think you would do a better job than me

I am voting Hartley

Hurray For Hartley

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Supermarkets are being restricted because they and other 'essential' shops are being told not to sell certain items in order to 'level things up' with those shops that have been told to close.

So if you want it and can't get it from the supermarket you are forcing people in Wales to purchase on line. This should be a public health issue but Mark Drakeford's comments make it a commercial issue and he's in danger of digging himself into a hole. EU and UK competition Law is robust and its for the Senedd to apply it not ride roughshod over it.
    Wouldn't the lawyers of these large supermarket chains have been all over this when they were told about what was going to be happening, if that was the case?

You were asked yesterday to provide evidence to back up these statements about 'competition law' but said you were not going to do that. Do you care to do so today? It's always nice to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wouldn't the lawyers of these large supermarket chains have been all over this when they were told about what was going to be happening, if that was the case?

You were asked yesterday to provide evidence to back up these statements about 'competition law' but said you were not going to do that. Do you care to do so today? It's always nice to learn something new.

Sunday trading, when it first came in for supermarkets, didn't places like B&Q get around it by selling you an orange, but you got a free kitchen/pot of paint/etc.

There are ways around everything, if you care to look.

Heisenberg

Sunday trading, when it first came in for supermarkets, didn't places like B&Q get around it by selling you an orange, but you got a free kitchen/pot of paint/etc.

Did you mean to reply to me with that post?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

I would hope the lawyers in supermarkets would be on to this but Im sure they will adopt a softly softly approach. If you want to know a bit more about competition law suggest you have a look at the provisions in articles 81/82 of EU treaty and UK Competition Act. To me Mark Drakeford's attempts to restrict product sales in essential shops in order to be fair, level up, create a level playing field with those shops that have been instructed to close is a commercial decision enacted by a dominant entity that can impact on the competitiveness of essential shops in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I think you would do a better job than me

I am voting Hartley

Hurray For Hartley
    Im retired old bean. Fly fishing, golf and dominoes for me.

I suggest Drakeford does the same.

I would hope the lawyers in supermarkets would be on to this but Im sure they will adopt a softly softly approach. If you want to know a bit more about competition law suggest you have a look at the provisions in articles 81/82 of EU treaty and UK Competition Act. To me Mark Drakeford's attempts to restrict product sales in essential shops in order to be fair, level up, create a level playing field with those shops that have been instructed to close is a commercial decision enacted by a dominant entity that can impact on the competitiveness of essential shops in Wales.
    You say 'Competitiveness' for that to happen there has to be a degree of fairness, an opportunity to perform, so to speak. The shops competing over the goods sold by the supermarkets have closed, therefore it isn't competitive. Surely it becomes a little more competitive if the Supermarkets aren't allowed to sell non essential goods?

Won't somebody think of the supermarket's shareholders!

I can't ever remember B&Q selling fruit in order to get around Sunday trading laws, although i wouldn't say no to a kitchen for 50p, which is roughly the price of an orange.

Yes poor sods have been so badly affected by all this lockdown nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't ever remember B&Q selling fruit in order to get around Sunday trading laws, although i wouldn't say no to a kitchen for 50p, which is roughly the price of an orange.
    That's probably about the price B&Q pay for their kitchens anyway

Sad thing is that if they don't get the return that they hope for, staff are sacked, conditions slashed, punters pay more. That's the risk these capitalists take.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    That's probably about the price B&Q pay for their kitchens anyway
    i'll set you up...

Heisenberg

Which part in particular do you think Drakeford is breaching?

If anything Article 82 (c): 'applying dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions with other trading parties, thereby placing them at a competitive disadvantage' seems to read that Drakeford has ensured that he's actively adhered to the law with his current rules that restrict the sale of items in supermarkets that other vendors cannot sell at present.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You say 'Competitiveness' for that to happen there has to be a degree of fairness, an opportunity to perform, so to speak. The shops competing over the goods sold by the supermarkets have closed, therefore it isn't competitive. Surely it becomes a little more competitive if the Supermarkets aren't allowed to sell non essential goods?
    The non essential shops have been closed for public health reasons and will get the compensation via the Senedd or Sunak. Reducing the range of goods in essential shops could have been for public health reasons, but Mark Drakeford said it was to level things up with closed shops ie commercial reasons. This disadvantages supermarkets in Wales through a reduced range as customers who want banned items, even though they have them in stock, will get them from other businesses probably on line