+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MP calling for delay to UK climate action has banked £150k from oil firm

MP calling for delay to UK climate action has banked £150k from oil firm

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...from-oil-firm/

I don’t know what’s more depressing that he’s willing to sell out his own kids futures or that it’s for such a paltry sum. If you’re going to take a bribe why not at least make it life changing?

Re: MP calling for delay to UK climate action has banked £150k from oil firm

Also his voting record is like that of an actual super villain, how can people still vote for someone like this? Do people never check voting records before they vote?

Consistently voted against the hunting ban

Generally voted against laws to promote equality and human rights

Generally voted against equal gay rights

Almost always voted for reducing the rate of corporation tax

Consistently voted for selling England’s state owned forests

Generally voted against financial incentives for low carbon emission electricity generation methods

Generally voted against measures to prevent climate change

Almost always voted against slowing the rise in rail fares

Consistently voted against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability

Consistently voted against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices

Consistently voted for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits

Consistently voted for the Iraq war

Almost always voted against UK membership of the EU

Generally voted against a right to remain for EU nationals already in living in the UK

Generally voted against a banker’s bonus tax

Almost always voted for more restrictive regulation of trade union activity

Almost always voted for restricting the scope of legal aid

Generally voted against restrictions on fees charged to tenants by letting agents

Consistently voted for the privatisation of Royal Mail

Consistently voted for mass surveillance of people’s communications and activities

Consistently voted for ending financial support for some 16-19 year olds in training and further education

Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Also his voting record is like that of an actual super villain, how can people still vote for someone like this? Do people never check voting records before they vote?
    What an absolute bastard.
    Goes to show that most people vote for a party regardless of who the candidate is.

Conservative ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...from-oil-firm/

I don’t know what’s more depressing that he’s willing to sell out his own kids futures or that it’s for such a paltry sum. If you’re going to take a bribe why not at least make it life changing?
    The most depressing thing for me is that I no longer get surprised when I see this kind of scumbag in power exposed.

These people have no shame.
    It's just a game and if you get caught it's like simply "losing a life".

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The most depressing thing for me is that I no longer get surprised when I see this kind of scumbag in power exposed.

These people have no shame.
    It's just a game and if you get caught it's like simply "losing a life".
    What an absolute cnut? Mind you the clue is in the party he represents. He's probably considered a paragon by that lot.

Yeah its no suprise with this lot.

The what’s in it for me party in all of its glory.

Do people see this voting record and the bribes and still want to vote for him? I just can’t get my head around it.

Or do people vote without knowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    What an absolute cnut? Mind you the clue is in the party he represents. He's probably considered a paragon by that lot.
    See, this is the point (only four posts in...sometimes its as late as 10) when the thread just becomes a rather pointless activist-y equivalent of a political circle-jerk for the usual suspects to make themselves feel better about themselves for half an hour by participating in it and making stereotypes about 'other people'.

There are loads of ongoing scandals involving the Labour Party, SNP, Lib Dems etc. If someone looked at the case involving Claudia Webbe or Keith Vaz or former Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson (all much much worse examples!) and concluded 'typical Labour' they would be wrong to do so. Same as anyone making the same accusations here.

For the record;

1 / If you have any interest in political corruption etc, then you know it impacts all parties. That's just a fact. If you dont realise that you either arent paying attention, or your eyes are closed to it, in which case you actually support the thing you profess to dislike.

2 / Being paid by an organisation and voting that way doesnt necessarily equal corruption, it may equal passion. MP's are paid externally to advise all the time. It means they have expertise in something and care about it. Someone may be paid by a trade union for example and vote for Trade Union rights, it doesn't mean he or she is corrupt per se. I don't agree with his stance on fossil fuels, but it doesnt mean he's corrupt about it.

3 / He does sound like a bit of a knob, and his brand of social conservatism and climate change-scepticism doesnt interest me, but he is answering to his constituents, many of whom may share his views and thats fair enough. Same goes with Corbyn, Johnson, any other MP you care to mention.

So you’re happy to vote for a party where the majority have similar voting records.

Any examples of other parties having similar types of corruption to this?

Being paid and voting that way is the definition of corruption, even if he was enough of a twat to vote that way anyway.

Some balance yes cut and pasted, ( those in glass houses shouldn't ??)

Former Labour MP for Peterborough,*Fiona Onasanya, was removed from her position in Parliament following a criminal conviction. Elected in the 2017 General Election, Onasanya was found guilty in December 2018 of perverting the course of justice, after she lied to the police to avoid being prosecuted for speeding.

She was eventually removed from office in May 2019 after a successful recall petition. Chaudhury Mohammed Iqbal, a former Labour councillor for Loxford in Ilford, was sent to prison last January and ordered to pay more than £28,000 back to Redbridge Council after committing electoral fraud. Iqbal provided a false address when applying to be a councillor and continued to lie to the police during its investigation into the matter – even encouraging a former tenant to give a false account to the authorities on his behalf.

Sitting Labour MPs Claudia Webbe and Apsana Begum are both currently facing trial. Webbe was parachuted into the constituency of Leicester East in the last general election – with her selection resulting in the resignation of the Constituency Labour Party chair. Labour’s vote share dropped by 16 percentage points in the seat – with Webbe now facing a charge of harassment after allegedly threatening and making numerous unwanted phone calls to an individual.

Begum, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, will stand trial this coming July over allegations of housing fraud. With Judge Martyn Zeidman QC prioritising her trial in the public interest, it is alleged that Begum caused more than £63,000 of loss to Tower Hamlets Council after being allocated a one-bedroom social housing flat in the Isle of Dogs and failing to disclose key information to the relevant authorities.

But most tragic of all has been the fundamental breakdown in governance in the Labour-controlled Liverpool City Region. Following Merseyside Police investigations into building and development contracts under Operation Aloft, five individuals –*including Labour mayor Joe Anderson*– were arrested. Amid allegations of intimidation, bribery, and corruption relating to the council’s highways, regeneration, and property management functions, it has been decided that government-appointed commissioners will oversee parts of Liverpool City Council.

Oh the ( sssssh ) antisemitism thingy.

The real question we should ask ourselves should we trust any of them ,you only had to look back to 2009 and the expenses debate accross all parties , even now with Angela Raynors £249 expenses claim for I pods and Matt Hancock it just beggars belief what goes on in thier heads

You are seriously including the allegations against Apsana Begum in your latest attempt at cut and paste whataboutery?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...criminal-trial

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are seriously including the allegations against Apsana Begum in your latest attempt at cut and paste whataboutery?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...criminal-trial
    There all bad in my eyes whatever false political flag they fly

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    There all bad in my eyes whatever false political flag they fly
    To be fair to Apsana Begum she has been cleared of the charges against her and shouldn't have been included in your list.

This is the point jon1959 was correctly making.

Former Labour MP for Peterborough,*Fiona Onasanya, was removed from her position in Parliament following a criminal conviction. Elected in the 2017 General Election, Onasanya was found guilty in December 2018 of perverting the course of justice, after she lied to the police to avoid being prosecuted for speeding.

She was eventually removed from office in May 2019 after a successful recall petition. Chaudhury Mohammed Iqbal, a former Labour councillor for Loxford in Ilford, was sent to prison last January and ordered to pay more than £28,000 back to Redbridge Council after committing electoral fraud. Iqbal provided a false address when applying to be a councillor and continued to lie to the police during its investigation into the matter – even encouraging a former tenant to give a false account to the authorities on his behalf.

Sitting Labour MPs Claudia Webbe and Apsana Begum are both currently facing trial. Webbe was parachuted into the constituency of Leicester East in the last general election – with her selection resulting in the resignation of the Constituency Labour Party chair. Labour’s vote share dropped by 16 percentage points in the seat – with Webbe now facing a charge of harassment after allegedly threatening and making numerous unwanted phone calls to an individual.

Begum, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, will stand trial this coming July over allegations of housing fraud. With Judge Martyn Zeidman QC prioritising her trial in the public interest, it is alleged that Begum caused more than £63,000 of loss to Tower Hamlets Council after being allocated a one-bedroom social housing flat in the Isle of Dogs and failing to disclose key information to the relevant authorities.

But most tragic of all has been the fundamental breakdown in governance in the Labour-controlled Liverpool City Region. Following Merseyside Police investigations into building and development contracts under Operation Aloft, five individuals –*including Labour mayor Joe Anderson*– were arrested. Amid allegations of intimidation, bribery, and corruption relating to the council’s highways, regeneration, and property management functions, it has been decided that government-appointed commissioners will oversee parts of Liverpool City Council.

The real question we should ask ourselves should we trust any of them ,you only had to look back to 2009 and the expenses debate accross all parties , even now with Angela Raynors £249 expenses claim for I pods and Matt Hancock it just beggars belief what goes on in thier heads
    Where would we be without you to add your always one sided sense of “balance” eh?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Where would we be without you to add your always one sided sense of “balance” eh?
    Why did Angela Raynor make an expenses claim for Matt Hancock? Was he charging by the hour? We need to know!

'What goes on in their heads (LOM)'?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Why did Angela Raynor make an expenses claim for Matt Hancock? Was he charging by the hour? We need to know!

'What goes on in their heads (LOM)'?
    I thought you knew the new expenses hot topic where our Anggge claimed £249 of tax payers money for I pods but our poor old Matt (where's the camera) only claimed £149🤑🤑🤑🤑

To be fair there's never much debate about Labour indiscretions or am I missing something 🤔

I hear old squeaky clean Keith Vaz is looking to return if Claudia goes, he has a lovely past.

Our species is on the path to extinction and you're comparing that to speeding tickets.

No amount of evidence will change your mind, we just have to wait for people like you to die. Unfortunately it'll probably be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Our species is on the path to extinction and you're comparing that to speeding tickets.

No amount of evidence will change your mind, we just have to wait for people like you to die. Unfortunately it'll probably be too late.
    Seriously now, this is not a normal thing for you to be saying to people on a football messageboard on a sunday evening.

To be fair there's never much debate about Labour indiscretions or am I missing something ��

I hear old squeaky clean Keith Vaz is looking to return if Claudia goes, he has a lovely past.
    There’s never much debate because the left leaning people on here, myself included, tend to slag off Labour as much as those on the right much of the time. There are more debates regarding the Tories because, as members of the forty per cent, Conservatives on here back their party whatever they get up to.

There’s never much debate because the left leaning people on here, myself included, tend to slag off Labour as much as those on the right much of the time. There are more debates regarding the Tories because, as members of the forty per cent, Conservatives on here back their party whatever they get up to.
    Sorry to disagree , I see lots of Tory sleaze posts, but very little Labour , there maybe comments buried or blurred inside debates but not original posted as a specific subject