+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Petition WAG Let Parents Buy Essential Goods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Petition WAG Let Parents Buy Essential Goods

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Do you honestly believe that will be the case?
    If somebody is desperate for clothing for some reason over the next fortnight it would be pointless them going to a supermarket to buy it. It’s only for a fortnight, nobody is going to end up bollock naked by a week Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If somebody is desperate for clothing for some reason over the next fortnight it would be pointless them going to a supermarket to buy it. It’s only for a fortnight, nobody is going to end up bollock naked by a week Friday.
    To me, the ban on non-essential items in supermarkets appears petty and utterly pointless. The only thing it will achieve is to irritate people, but our friends in local and national government around these parts have seemed increasingly determined to do that in recent months.

To me, the ban on non-essential items in supermarkets appears petty and utterly pointless. The only thing it will achieve is to irritate people, but our friends in local and national government around these parts have seemed increasingly determined to do that in recent months.
    Isn't the aim to create a level playing field? Three elements, not giving supermarkets an economic advantage over local and other retailers, stopping a concentration of people into a confined space for a fortnight looking for goods that they would otherwise source elsewhere and instructing people that they should keep their journey where they come in contact with other human beings to an absolute minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Isn't the aim to create a level playing field? Three elements, not giving supermarkets an economic advantage over local and other retailers, stopping a concentration of people into a confined space for a fortnight looking for goods that they would otherwise source elsewhere and instructing people that they should keep their journey where they come in contact with other human beings to an absolute minimum.
    If the Senedd are introducing restrictions on supermarket sales to create a level playing field, then I believe they are into the area of competition law and may be acting in an anti-competitive way and outside their remit.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    If the Senedd are introducing restrictions on supermarket sales to create a level playing field, then I believe they are into the area of competition law and may be acting in an anti-competitive way and outside their remit.
    When you say I believe and they may, that's not the same as they have breached competition law and they have gone ultra vires is it?

When you say I believe and they may, that's not the same as they have breached competition law and they have gone ultra vires is it?
    No, but I can't be bothered to get the reference books out to look it up.

It’s whatever they can come up with off the top of their head at the time of the question.

Drakeford OUT

Is the aim really to create a level playing field? If so, then in my opinion it's deeply flawed. I don't believe for a second that anyone who would normally buy what are being classified as non-essential items from smaller retailers would have instead decided to buy them in a supermarket during this particular fortnight. Unless it was an emergency of some sort, I think such people would almost certainly have waited for the smaller retailers to reopen. Similarly, I don't believe anyone who would normally buy non-essential items from a supermarket will instead decide to buy them from smaller retailers once this fortnight is over. On the contrary, I think we'll have a situation whereby the supermarket aisles that stock non-essential items will simply become a little busier for a short period once this fortnight has passed.

At the behest of the government, everyone now has to wear a facemask while we're out shopping and the businesses themselves have spent millions implementing social distancing measures of one sort or another within their premises. In my experience, all of the shops I've visited on a regular basis in recent months have almost always been a good deal quieter than they ever were before Covid-19 struck. Therefore, I simply don't believe these measures are in any way necessary. They won't make one iota of difference to me personally and I'm sure the same is true for most people, but they are irritating all the same.

I try not to watch or read the news too often these days and I try not to use social media too much either. It's far too depressing as far as I'm concerned. However, I think I'm right in saying that the so-called experts have repeatedly stated that the vast majority of Covid-19 transmissions are happening within households. If they are correct, then it further underlines just how petty and pointless measures to stop people buying non-essential items in supermarkets for a fortnight really are.

Is the aim really to create a level playing field? If so, then in my opinion it's deeply flawed. I don't believe for a second that anyone who would normally buy what are being classified as non-essential items from smaller retailers would have instead decided to buy them in a supermarket during this particular fortnight. Unless it was an emergency of some sort, I think such people would almost certainly have waited for the smaller retailers to reopen. Similarly, I don't believe anyone who would normally buy non-essential items from a supermarket will instead decide to buy them from smaller retailers once this fortnight is over. On the contrary, I think we'll have a situation whereby the supermarket aisles that stock non-essential items will simply become a little busier for a short period once this fortnight has passed.

At the behest of the government, everyone now has to wear a facemask while we're out shopping and the businesses themselves have spent millions implementing social distancing measures of one sort or another within their premises. In my experience, all of the shops I've visited on a regular basis in recent months have almost always been a good deal quieter than they ever were before Covid-19 struck. Therefore, I simply don't believe these measures are in any way necessary. They won't make one iota of difference to me personally and I'm sure the same is true for most people, but they are irritating all the same.

I try not to watch or read the news too often these days and I try not to use social media too much either. It's far too depressing as far as I'm concerned. However, I think I'm right in saying that the so-called experts have repeatedly stated that the vast majority of Covid-19 transmissions are happening within households. If they are correct, then it further underlines just how petty and pointless measures to stop people buying non-essential items in supermarkets for a fortnight really are.
    Stay in

Wash your hands

Protect lives

If you run out of conditioner and shampoo you can order some off amazon