+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Petition WAG Let Parents Buy Essential Goods

Re: Petition WAG Let Parents Buy Essential Goods

I havent met anyone revelling in it either.

The essential vs non-essential rule was brought in so small retailers wouldn't lose (any more) trade to the supermarkets although they can still lose out to Amazon.

It seems like it was brought in with the best of intentions but for some their political blinkers stop them from considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    And how was it in there? Were the staff managing to keep the hordes of non-essential shoppers at bay?

t the store had to abandon the socially-distanced queuing system it's had in place for the last three or four months because those queues usually begin in the aisles that are now blocked off. Great work, WAG.
    Clearly Morrisons llanishen didn't HAVE to abandon their queueing system, they could quite easily have moved everything out from that aisle, or put plastic sheets over it or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Clearly Morrisons llanishen didn't HAVE to abandon their queueing system, they could quite easily have moved everything out from that aisle, or put plastic sheets over it or whatever.
    Ever been in this particular store?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that anyone is shaming or looking down on people, disagreeing certainly.
    I know you don't use Facebook. If you did, your view might be somewhat different.

I'd say yes, as there weren't any other physical outlets where you could buy other shit.
    Right. So they closed non-essential stores, and decided it was OK for people to buy non-essential stuff in supermarkets because there was nowhere else to buy it. Like now.

And how was it in there? Were the staff managing to keep the hordes of non-essential shoppers at bay?

I've been in three supermarkets since Saturday. On the way home from work yesterday evening, I called into Morrisons in Llanishen to get some milk and cereals. The first thing that greeted me as I passed through the barriers was a large display of toys positioned where they usually stack boxes of bottled beers. The Sky article you linked suggested supermarkets are not able to sell books or stationery, but these were readily available in Morrisons along with DVDs and CDs. The aisle where these items are stocked was operating as normal.

They sell a limited range of clothes in Morrisons these days, mostly stuff for young kids, but the aisle where these are stocked was blocked off, as was the aisle where the homeware is kept. They were blocked at either end by large pallets stacked with boxes of unwrapped produce. One of the knock-on effects of this was less room in the shop's central aisle. The other was that the store had to abandon the socially-distanced queuing system it's had in place for the last three or four months because those queues usually begin in the aisles that are now blocked off. Great work, WAG.

Onto B&M next door, where I was after some sweets I'm particularly partial to. This was hilarious. I wondered what the staff would manage to do in there as almost everything sold in B&M could be classified as non-essential. Their answer to the WAG's policy was to put a bit of gaffer tape at chest height across a couple of the aisles with hastily-printed pieces of A4 paper attached saying 'Please Only Buy Essential Goods'. There weren't many people in the shop (it was 7:15pm) and those that were there had completely ignored the signs. Literally everybody who was queuing up for the tills had items that were almost exclusively in the non-essential category. Naturally enough, the staff couldn't have cared less.

Today I popped over to Lidl in Splott to get my stock of canned drinks for work - something I do once a week. All of the central display units which usually stock all of the weird and wonderful non-food items that Lidl sells were turned back to front. This set me wondering how many people ever actually go into Lidl with a specific non-essential item in mind. I doubt it's many. I only ever go there for food or drink, but I come out with all sorts of shit.

To me, the whole thing looks exactly what it is - a pointless, petty shambles which has been put in place for no good reason.

Here's a question for you and any other non-moaners: earlier in the year, when the virus was at its height in Wales, supermarkets were free to sell non-essential goods. We also weren't required by the WAG to wear face coverings while shopping in these stores. So what has changed? Why was it OK for supermarkets to sell non-essential good in March, April and May, but now it is allegedly outlawed? It's almost as if this measure hasn't been thought through properly.....
    I went to Lidls as well yesterday and they had done the same thing, but it was it was impossible to get at or even see what the goods were. I never go into Aldis or Lidls with the intention of buying anything "non essential" either, but I always have a look at what's there and about once every six weeks or so, I see something I decide to buy. Although I don't spend as much time looking in the non essential areas now as I did pre Covid, it can sometimes add five or ten minutes to my shop and, so it may be that I'm the type of shopper the Government wants to discourage with their non essential goods decision.

If Drakeford had come out and said no non essential shopping until the spring, I could understand the reaction of some, but we're talking about seventeen days out of people's lives here (plus another seventeen in the New Year I'd guess), so I can live with that.

As far as the wearing of masks goes, attitudes towards them have changed in countries like here and America from the scepticism we saw at Government level in the spring. That's the thing, although there are an awful lot of people who talk like they know it all about this virus, the truth is that none of us do because barely anyone still alive can remember the last time something like this happened. I've been very critical of the UK Government over the last few months, some of that has been with the benefit of hindsight and it'll be the same if the Welsh Government are proved wrong about their firebreak lockdown - I'll admit they got it wrong, but, for now, none of us can know for sure whether they have or not.

I notice no one has answered my question asking what non essential goods are the critics going to be desperate for before 9 November - I suspect that's because they know that, in truth there is nothing outside of the definition of "essential" in that article that they really have to get in the next twelve or thirteen days.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The essential vs non-essential rule was brought in so small retailers wouldn't lose (any more) trade to the supermarkets although they can still lose out to Amazon.
    Right. So nothing to do with limiting the spread of the virus? No scientific basis for it at all? Just the WAG deciding when and where we can spend our money?

Right. So they closed non-essential stores, and decided it was OK for people to buy non-essential stuff in supermarkets because there was nowhere else to buy it. Like now.
    Spot on, but the difference in my opinion is that this lockdown is two weeks or so, so from where I'm sat, it looks like they're trying to minimise contact for a short period of time. I have absolutely no evidence to say that it Will make an ounce of difference though, I just don't know, same as everyone else.

I know you don't use Facebook. If you did, your view might be somewhat different.
    One of the many reasons I don't use Facebook. Seems like a haven for blowhards and reactionaries. Plus I'm not that interesting!

Ever been in this particular store?
    yes, many times

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I notice no one has answered my question asking what non essential goods are the critics going to be desperate for before 9 November - I suspect that's because they know that, in truth there is nothing outside of the definition of "essential" in that article that they really have to get in the next twelve or thirteen days.
    I've already answered that by explaining that this policy will make no difference to me on a personal level whatsoever. Like many people, I'm not pissed off because this nonsense will have any direct, material effect on me as an individual. I'm pissed off because it's complete and utter nonsense - petty, pathetic, pointless nonsense. To me, it just underlines the hopeless nature of the government in this country. They bring in a measure that has no viable benefit with no warning, which causes anger, confusion and places more strain on people like shop staff and managers who are already under enough pressure as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes, many times
    So you'll know that the hand basket checkouts back directly onto the small clothes section, which is why the queuing system started there.

Spot on, but the difference in my opinion is that this lockdown is two weeks or so, so from where I'm sat, it looks like they're trying to minimise contact for a short period of time. I have absolutely no evidence to say that it Will make an ounce of difference though, I just don't know, same as everyone else.
    If my experiences yesterday are anything to go by, roads were busy, supermarket was busy enough and it was nothing like the previous lockdown. Before anyone suggests I was doing the same, had to take a pet to the vet and needed to get some stuff for him in an emergency.

I reckon the rate will barely drop at all as people no longer give a shit.

[QUOTE=Eric the Half a Bee;5130167]If my experiences yesterday are anything to go by, roads were busy, supermarket was busy enough and it was nothing like the previous lockdown. Before anyone suggests I was doing the same, had to take a pet to the vet and needed to get some stuff for him in an emergency.

I reckon the rate will barely drop at all as people no longer give a shit.[/QUOTE

Totally agree. I was out today for the first time since Saturday. It was just like a 'normal' day. Lots of traffic and busy supermarket. I too think people are paying lip service to the lockdown.

Can I buy a British Legion poppy or is that a non essential item?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If my experiences yesterday are anything to go by, roads were busy, supermarket was busy enough and it was nothing like the previous lockdown. Before anyone suggests I was doing the same, had to take a pet to the vet and needed to get some stuff for him in an emergency.

I reckon the rate will barely drop at all as people no longer give a shit.
    The volume of traffic on the roads going into work this week have been pretty much the same as they have been for the last few months, but the buses back have been much quieter - an obvious effect of closing the shops in the city centre.

The volume of traffic on the roads going into work this week have been pretty much the same as they have been for the last few months, but the buses back have been much quieter - an obvious effect of closing the shops in the city centre.
    My local bus operator, Stagecoach, have introduced a slightly reduced frequency on most of its services, but nowhere near to the level they did back in March for the first lockdown. That makes me think they know most people will still go out and about regardless of the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I havent met anyone revelling in it either.
    Nor me, I'd say the the reverse its delivering some very long term pain and anguish certainly for the elderly and lonely . When my mum was alive she was a big shop browser , it brought her a lot of joy , this would have really hurt her , as it is now for many others

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Non essential in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The essential vs non-essential rule was brought in so small retailers wouldn't lose (any more) trade to the supermarkets although they can still lose out to Amazon. It seems like it was brought in with the best of intentions but for some their political blinkers stop them from considering this.
    Statement from the WAG this evening: "We continue to work closely with the sector and would stress that these restrictions are in place to stop the spread of coronavirus and save lives."

So, it would appear that those of you who claim this policy was brought in to somehow support small businesses are wrong. Either that, or the WAG is lying.

Non essential in my opinion.
    I reckon the WAG should outlaw all professional sport in Wales for the duration of the 'firebreak lockdown' and also ban professional teams from travelling outside of the Welsh borders. Doing so would be pointless, but it would be different to what the English government are doing, so it would serve its purpose.

I reckon the WAG should outlaw all professional sport in Wales for the duration of the 'firebreak lockdown' and also ban professional teams from travelling outside of the Welsh borders. Doing so would be pointless, but it would be different to what the English government are doing, so it would serve its purpose.

you reckon that's why they're doing it-just to differentiate between Boris and co?

So you'll know that the hand basket checkouts back directly onto the small clothes section, which is why the queuing system started there.
    yep, still it wouldn't be that difficult to put some sheets over the clothing, or remove it

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Non essential.