+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Top 10 European Clubs of all time

The Top 10 European Clubs of all time

Not based purely on trophies won or finals reached but maybe even more important the 'magic' of the name, who do you consider to be the Top 10 teams in Europe (excluding the Bluebirds of course !) ?

Your age group will no doubt have a huge bearing on your selection.

In no particular order, these are mine:

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Man United
    Liverpool
    AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Ajax
    Benfica

Re: The Top 10 European Clubs of all time

Leeds fans would beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Leeds fans would beg to differ.
    Not even on the z list !

Are you really old enough to remember Benfica being a European force? I remember reading about them, but their success was before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Not even on the z list !
    You're not a Leeds fan.

I think Benfica and Porto are sort of interchangeable.

I'd probably have Monaco or possibly Marseilles and possibly CSKA Moscow

Not based purely on trophies won or finals reached but maybe even more important the 'magic' of the name, who do you consider to be the Top 10 teams in Europe (excluding the Bluebirds of course !) ?

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Man United
    Liverpool
    AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Ajax
    Benfica
    The first nine are shoe ins. Cannot think of another contender for the tenth to oust Benfica.

It's surprising to note that the major European club competition has only been won by a French team once i.e. Marseille.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Are you really old enough to remember Benfica being a European force? I remember reading about them, but their success was before my time.
    Indeed I am. Fame wise they were up there with Real Madrid, even at a time when the Spanish club won 5 European Cups in a row.
    But bear in mind it's the magic of the name that counts as much as if not more than success although I accept that a younger generation will naturally have a different perspective than us oldies.

When I put this question to my son, he couldn't understand why I didn't place Porto ahead of Benfica (both teams being Portuguese), as Porto have been more successful for many years. I agreed that factually he was correct but the name Porto has never had a special ring to it in a way that Benfica has. We agreed to disagree !

Feels like there should be a club from the East. Galatasaray, CSKA Moscow, dynamo Kiev?

If not, I'd put Dortmund at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    The first nine are shoe ins. Cannot think of another contender for the tenth to oust Benfica.
    You are right. When I compiled this list in my head several years ago, I found the names just slipped into place without me having to rack my brain too much.

If I were to compile a secondary list it would include clubs like Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, any one of the 3 main London teams, Seville, Oporto, even Celtic. But to me none of them have that something special to elevate them into the Top 10.

Forest

Yeah Cloughs Forest were good.

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Man United
    Liverpool
    AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Juventus
    Bayern Munich
    Ajax
    Benfica
    Although you haven't based your choices on trophies won and finals played, your top 10 corresponds to exactly the top 10 of those who have won the European Cup and finals played.

Spooky eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Forest
    I saw them win both of their European cup finals. I was touring Europe on both occasions and it was before football became trendy so tickets were easy to come by.

Moscow dynamo back in the day

Celtic? Quite a force 67-71.

I'd have Sevilla in at no.10 even though all of their success has been in the 'second' competition.

Feedback

Feyenoord
    Borussia Monchengladbach
    Napoli

Porto

Indeed I am. Fame wise they were up there with Real Madrid, even at a time when the Spanish club won 5 European Cups in a row.
    But bear in mind it's the magic of the name that counts as much as if not more than success although I accept that a younger generation will naturally have a different perspective than us oldies.

When I put this question to my son, he couldn't understand why I didn't place Porto ahead of Benfica (both teams being Portuguese), as Porto have been more successful for many years. I agreed that factually he was correct but the name Porto has never had a special ring to it in a way that Benfica has. We agreed to disagree !
    I trust you told him all about Eusebio.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I saw them win both of their European cup finals. I was touring Europe on both occasions and it was before football became trendy so tickets were easy to come by.
    Crazy isn't it? I remember a kid I was at school with going to see Liverpool v Brugge at Wembley in the 1978 European Cup final. I was at his house and he casually brought up that when his dad got home from work they were driving up to London "to see a football match".

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Although you haven't based your choices on trophies won and finals played, your top 10 corresponds to exactly the top 10 of those who have won the European Cup and finals played.

Spooky eh.
    Spooky indeed !! Likely their success and fame became ingrained in my psyche during my formative years.

Spooky indeed !! Likely their success and fame became ingrained in my psyche during my formative years.
    I agree 100% with your top ten and just wondered who had done what. It’s funny how teams stick in your mind. I can remember Dynamo Tbilisi ripping West Ham to bits as a kid which has always stayed with me. Mechelen winning the Cup Winners Cup in the late 80s too.

Steaua Bucharest?