+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Talking Heads

Talking Heads

Haven’t played them for a long time but been binging my vinyl lately. Fear of Music ... what a great album.

Re: Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Haven’t played them for a long time but been binging my vinyl lately. Fear of Music ... what a great album.
    Tina Weymouth was a fantastic bassist

Fear of music is right up there - seen them twice in the early 80s. I also saw David Byrne at Meltdown festival where he played all of his Brian Eno tracks - Bush of Ghosts Etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4hcgtjDPc
    This is DB latest work with Spike Lee.

Fantastic band, went through a stage of playing their debut constantly

I like the Talking Heads, although overall I think they're massively overrated. I can't stand David Byrne.

Tina Weymouth is still a fantastic bassist.

Played Fear of Music constantly around forty years ago, but I must have gone about thirty five years without hearing it once before I rediscovered it around this time last year - got virtually all of it on my favourite Spotify playlist now.

Stop Making Sense has to be one of the best live performances put to film.

This is similar to the recent thread about Steely Dan - I love both bands, and don't understand why more people don't listen to them. But... they both fall into that 'too clever by half' category, and that tends to put people off, rather than draw them in. Time spent listening to either of these two groups will bring great rewards, and I heartily recommend both.
    If you're thinking of dipping your toes in, why not start with a greatest hits album - the bigger (more tracks), the better.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I like the Talking Heads, although overall I think they're massively overrated.
    I think the band's very nature meant their work was patchy to a degree. They did produce some brilliant stuff, though. I reckon Remain in Light is near-perfect - an album that flows seamlessly from beginning to end. For me, that's their best album by a distance.

About ten years ago (or maybe a little more), a Fopp discount store opened up on Queen Street. It wasn't there for long, but I picked up some great bargains there, the best of which was all eight Talking Heads studio albums, remastered with bonus tracks and a free DVD with each featuring promo videos and live recordings. Each disc was priced at around £2 or £3 if memory serves. I loved that shop but its stay in Cardiff was brief.

I've been slowly introducing my daughter into my musical tastes and, in fairness, she is pretty open minded about it all.

Last week I thought i'd try with a bit of Talking Heads.

I made the error of playing her 'Swamp' which, for even the most ardent fan, is hard work.

I should have played safe with "And she was" or "Road to nowhere"

FoM is my favourite TH album.

I wouldn’t regard TH as patchy though. Their first 4 LPs are classics. True Stories was their only dud IMO.

Talking Heads were really on form at that particular time. Way ahead of most bands in the way they approached music, not afraid to experiment with new sounds while staying in the mainstream.

Fear of Music was named as the best album of 1979 by NME and Melody Maker journalists.